Custom cues with two shafts...

ShaneT58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve recently purchased my first custom cue and I have a question about the second shaft. Do most people play with both shafts or leave one unplayed for better resale value? I’m the kind of person that likes to experiment so I was thinking of trying different tips on one shaft and using the other shaft as my main playing cue until I find the best tip for me. Opinions?

TS%20(Medium).jpg

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I use only one shaft. Some advise alternating, saying that it relieves the stress??? As far as resale; I feel it is like using a car. I don't buy the car just to save it for someone else.

Some players just feel more comfortable with one shaft over the other. I don't feel any difference. You can spend a lot of money trying different tips just to try them. I personally would use one shaft until the tip needed replacing, keeping one shaft original to have something to compare to.

I guess if you want to save the shafts then buy a Predator, or some other 3rd party shaft. I often thought about some of the cues being sold. What does it mean that the shafts have not been played with. Any cue repair can put a new ferrule, tip and clean them to make them look brand new. The same with the butt, it does not cost that much to put a new wrap on it. As long as you don't bang the cue up it should hold most of its' resale.

Last edited:

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShaneT58 said:
Do most people play with both shafts or leave one unplayed for better resale value?
Both shafts belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them. :D

I have some shafts I use and some that I just haven't gotten around to using. Only a couple of my shafts have the original tips, from the cue maker, on them and that is because I like them and they haven't worn out yet. Whether or not I'm using a shaft, I will have the tip replaced if I don't like it. I want it ready, in case I have to use it.

Normally, I like to just use one shaft, for consistancy. Resale has nothing to do with my decision and, as far as I'm concerned, it is not a big consideration.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Hercules on one shaft and a Sniper on the other. Oh, not to mention a Sniper on a custom ring 314 shaft. So I have three for my Samsara. Hooray!

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
If you don't mind experimenting (and can afford to do it...) try different tips on each shaft. By the way, is that a Chris Nitti that you bought?

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I have two shafts with mine... a 314 and another, howbeit different, radially laminated shaft that shoots similar to my 314 but not the same. When new, both shafts were sized the same... 12.6 mm... but the tapers differed.

I shoot predominantly with the 314 and tend to only use the second shaft if the tip on the 314 needs replacement or otherwise. As a result, the 314 now measures closer to 12.4 mm, which is what I prefer. The thinning of the 314 shaft has been beneficial to further reducing squirt/deflection.

I've got three more custom cues on order. My plans on those are to have both shafts of each be 314s... and to use them equally so that they wear the same... so that when I can't use one, the other will be as close to identical as possible.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inevitably, if you have more than one shaft, one will distinguish itself as your favorite. Even if they are fundamentally identical, eventually you'll identify a favorite, either because of the tip, or the feel of the hit, or you just like the grain better.

I often use my "off" shaft for experiments with different tips, shaft conditioners, etc, before trying them on my favorite.

ShaneT58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue is a Tim Scruggs. I was just talking about the custom shafts specifically. I know I didn't make it clear in my first post. I also have a 314, OB-1, and an I-2. I can't help it. All with Moori med. Until I switched the 314 to a sniper recently. I like trying new things. I have a BS in chemistry and a minor in physics. I'm also working on a PhD in polymer chemistry right now. So that is my excuse for trying all the newly engineered shafts. I've been playing with a 314 since 1997. It came with a Le Pro then I went to Moori med for a while and liked it. Just tried a Sniper and like it too but I've only played a few games with it so far. The Sniper is a significantly softer hit than the Moori med. It could be that I was just playing good but I felt like I had better speed control. I think I like the combination of the predator shaft with the Sniper tip.

I went with the Triangle tip from TS because thats what he puts on all his cues and I had never tried one. Note: Shafts have ivory ferrules and no pad. I didn't like it at all. Changed it to a Moori med and put on a black fiber pad and to me it completly changed the feel for me. I love the way it plays now.

pharaoh68

Banned
I would say that this depends greatly on what you wish to do with the cue. If your plan is to keep it, then its completely up to you. Play with both. Get good mileage out of them. If its going to be yourplayer, you may want to use two different tips for two different types of play.

If you think there is a possibility of selling it in the future, try and leave one shaft as pristine as possible.

ShaneT58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't plan on ever selling the cue. I actually plan to get another custom cue when I can afford it that is rather plane for a playing cue and just hold on to this one. When I started this thread, I think I was more curious what other people were doing with their extra custom shafts. I haven't really made up my mind about what I'm going to do with my other shaft yet. I like playing with the TS shaft and the Moori med but I'm more comfortable with the 314 since I've been playing with it for a long time and the shaft diameter is a little smaller.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
ShaneT58 said:
I’ve recently purchased my first custom cue and I have a question about the second shaft. Do most people play with both shafts or leave one unplayed for better resale value? I’m the kind of person that likes to experiment so I was thinking of trying different tips on one shaft and using the other shaft as my main playing cue until I find the best tip for me. Opinions?

I play with both. I figure if I ever needed to switch to the other shaft, then it should be in the same condition (worked and seasoned) rather than feeling brand new.

But then again, I don't buy a cue for resale value, especially if it's my playing cue.

Fred

PoolSleuth

Banned
I Rotate my Shafts EACH time I play

;) Yes I Rotate my Shafts EACH time I play, and Ii do it when I remove the Shaft to be PLAYED, and move the Shaft to be PLAYED NEXT time to what I call the Playing Shaft Position in my CASE. Yes I know this is ANAL....

As far a having an UNPLAYED SHAFT for Future Sale I will say if you are going to SELL, and RE TIP, and your Equipment is LIKE NEW. I personally feel only AN EXPERT Could Tell if you Shafts was NEW UNPLAYED, or SLIGHTLY PLAYED with NEW TIPS.

The Two Cue I have Sold in my Life were both REPRESENTED PROPERLY, so the Buyers were happy with their Purchase.

My Credo as a SELLER is to TREAT BUYERS, like I would like to BE TREAT if I was Buying. It has worked for me so far...
:)

Last edited: