G-Core or iShaft opinions...

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
In all honesty I may have shot one rack of balls with an iShaft (dunno which one), and maybe another rack with a G-Core. Not sure what to think of them.

Never really heard much word of mouth on 'em. What do you all think of them?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"iAnything" seems to sell good these days, as long as the "i" is lower case and the next letter is upper case. I have havent figured out what the "i" really means with all of Apples products, I wonder if Apple did a trade mark on that idea, if so the iShaft people might get a shaft where the wont like it, LOL

Hope you been good buddy, good as you play anything will work.:smile:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a McDermott I-3 on a Dale Perry butt. Excellent balance and a good hitting combination. The 11.75mm tip diameter gives me a sense of geometric precision where I strike the cue ball. I recently purchased a Schon and picked up a used I-3 for it. Just a great hit. I've tried the OB-2, like the hit but the ferrule was a distraction to me. I'll stick with the I-3. Sorry, but haven't tried the new G-shaft so I have no feedback for you on that one.

mrmagoo42

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with a G-core for over a year and enjoy it more now than when I bought it. Gives the M15-B a solid sounding hit. The only problem was the original tip popped off on a draw shot about a month after I purchased it but that gave an excuse to have a Kamui black medium put on. Trouble free since, a good shaft for the cash.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I-shaft

Corey,
I ordered a couple I-2 blanks. I installed one on a customers cue. I hit some balls with it. I didn't think I would like it too much. It felt so light, but I thought it played very well. It felt very solid, and had plenty juice when I needed it. I played about 10 racks with it, and I was able to use less english than my current shaft. I'm going to put one on my cue! I've never played with a G-Core, so I can't help you there. :grin:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an I2 and love it, actually like it more than the 314-2 I own, personally. I've also heard good things about the G-core but McDermott is still considering the I series an upgrade over the G-core.

Card Slinger

Registered
I have a I2 on my McDermott. Since I bought the cue I haven't been able to blame my equipment for a missed shot anymore. McDermott makes a good stock shaft, but I like this one way better, and it did take awhile to get used to. I've never tried the G-Core. My only complaint is that now I don't have any excuse to go buy another playing cue.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Personally I like the G core better.
I have and i2 that was truned down to 11.75.
Peronsally I don't care for it.
Let me know if you are interested 3/8 x 10 pin.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob...I still feel the same way! G-Core rocks! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Did you play with the other two shafts for as many hours as the g-core before forming an opinion ? And if you didn't , do you think that could be a factor in your opinion of the other two ?

The price difference would be a major factor for people all things being equal .

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
david(tx)...Which other two shafts are you talking about? There are 3 I-shafts, and I've played with all of them...certainly not for the 300+ hrs that I've played with my G-Core...but enough to form an opinion. IMO, the G-Core is a better quality shaft, and yes it does cost considerably less than other LD shafts out there.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Did you play with the other two shafts for as many hours as the g-core before forming an opinion ? And if you didn't , do you think that could be a factor in your opinion of the other two ?

The price difference would be a major factor for people all things being equal .

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
david(tx)...Which other two shafts are you talking about? There are 3 I-shafts, and I've played with all of them...certainly not for the 300+ hrs that I've played with my G-Core...but enough to form an opinion. IMO, the G-Core is a better quality shaft, and yes it does cost considerably less than other LD shafts out there.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I meant the Predator and OB you mentioned in the linked review .

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a G-Core and while it is a good shaft, it is not particularly low deflection. It deflects like a regular shaft. The composite core they use does stiffen the shaft nicely, but doesn't really do anything to reduce the front end mass, and thus doesn't cut deflection noticeably

dedstroke38

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally love the G-Core. I've never been a fan of LD shafts but this out of all of them was easiest for me to transition to. Just the hit in general feels better to me than some of the others. It's easy to pick up and play and if you are a standard shaft player you'll enjoy it. If you are used to predator or OB not sure what you'll think.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob...I still feel the same way! G-Core rocks! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,

Curious if you ever gave Predator or OB shafts 100 hours...

I hated Predator for a long time too. Now its been about 8 years that I've shot with them, and like them a lot. Thinking of trying out the OB Classic too. It would seem based on the linked review that you learned the value of the lower deflection over those 100 hours. In my experience Predator offers the *most* improvement in this particular category. So people my refuse to use Predator because of the hit. Is that it? If so, its hard to picture how a graphite core would hit very much like solid maple. I haven't tried the G Core shaft so I can't say. Could you elaborate on what about the G Core you hated when you *first* tried it, and how this compares to the dislikes you have with the competitors (Predator and OB particularly). I value your opinion and would be very curious.

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you compare these shafts to the Dominator shaft?

I've seen the dominators....there's nothing really different about them design wise. It's just a shaft made from a radially laminated blank. Standard ferrule/tenon design, LBM material. Normal deflection.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kerry...The first thing to emphasize is that the 'hit' or 'feel' of a shaft is extremely individual. I've probably played with Predators (314's and Z shafts) for 50-60 hrs total, and never cared for them (Predator seems to be something people love or hate...there's no middle ground! LOL). I've played 30+ hrs with OB shafts, and they just don't feel the best to me...although they are excellent quality shafts. I was never a fan of skinny shafts (in the 70's 14mm was the pro standard). Although G-Core shafts come in different diameters, Jerry Powers asked me to play with the smaller one, and give him my honest opinion...good, bad or indifferent. Knowing and respecting Jerry's cuemaking knowledge, I agreed to it, even though I told him "Jerry, I don't like little shafts!" LOL So, between the LD characteristics, and the small diameter (11 3/4mm) I managed to talk myself into 'hating' the way it felt and played. That said, I committed to give it 100 hour trial, and by the time I got there I was in love with it. I'm having Kent Davis make me a cue now, and he has his own version of LD shafts, which I'm going to have made, as they "feel" very similar to my G-Core.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,

Curious if you ever gave Predator or OB shafts 100 hours...

I hated Predator for a long time too. Now its been about 8 years that I've shot with them, and like them a lot. Thinking of trying out the OB Classic too. It would seem based on the linked review that you learned the value of the lower deflection over those 100 hours. In my experience Predator offers the *most* improvement in this particular category. So people my refuse to use Predator because of the hit. Is that it? If so, its hard to picture how a graphite core would hit very much like solid maple. I haven't tried the G Core shaft so I can't say. Could you elaborate on what about the G Core you hated when you *first* tried it, and how this compares to the dislikes you have with the competitors (Predator and OB particularly). I value your opinion and would be very curious.

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT