Southwest's Different Taper Styles

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a Southwest with their pro taper? I have spoke with them and they said that they offer three types of tapers- standard (parabolic), pro, and Szamboti style. These are in order from stiffest to least. Most people who like Southwest's cue 's like the Kersh taper, but I am thinking it is a little stiff. I am thinking of sending one shaft in to get it turned into a pro taper. Does anyone have any experience or opinions with this?
Thanks

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vinniebabarooch said:
Does anyone have a Southwest with their pro taper? I have spoke with them and they said that they offer three types of tapers- standard (parabolic), pro, and Szamboti style. These are in order from stiffest to least. Most people who like Southwest's cue 's like the Kersh taper, but I am thinking it is a little stiff. I am thinking of sending one shaft in to get it turned into a pro taper. Does anyone have any experience or opinions with this?
Thanks

I have two Southwests, both Franklin made, with 5 shafts. I had Jerry make one 12.5mm parabolic. The others are 12.75--two with Southwest's pro taper and two parabolic. I tend to like the parabolic taper shafts best. I prefer the stiffer hit and better control. The other shafts play very well, too, and I will go with those when I need more cueball action.

I actually think the stiffer parabolic taper shafts make you stroke the cue better, especially with follow shots. On the other hand, if you dog a stroke with the pro taper, the shaft will often rescue a lousy stroke. With the parabolic, you get what you put in along with better cueball control.

If you get the parabolic taper, and find it too stiff, you can have it reshaped to a pro taper. But you cannot go from pro taper to parabolic. One last thing, SW's pro taper is firmer than other cuemaker's pro taper from my experience.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Southwest that I have supposedly has the "szamboti" taper. Can someone tell me how this differs from parabolic and pro?

It may be the least on the stiffness spectrum, but I sure can't tell it. It's a hard hitter for sure.

Regards,

Doug

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm mathematically challenged, can someone educate me? What would a parabolic taper mean? I know what pro and conical tapers are but parabolas escape me :confused:

Thanks.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last year, I sent my shafts back to SW and had them reduced to the "standard pro"" taper. This is their taper that is between standard and pro. They did a great job. Love that "standard pro" taper. Cue played extremely well from there. The standard SW taper is too stiff for me at 13mm.

Martin

vinniebabarooch said:
Thanks

Last edited:

Chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parabolas

axejunkie said:
I'm mathematically challenged, can someone educate me? What would a parabolic taper mean? I know what pro and conical tapers are but parabolas escape me :confused:

Thanks.

For a definition of parabolas, see here.

Bear in mind I'm a math student, not a cue maker.

Aa I understand, parabolic taper is one that isn't constant like a conical taper, but does continue all the way to the ferrule, unlike most pro tapers. The amount of taper the shaft has does diminish closer to the ferrule.

Here is an informative short article on shaft tapers.