EARL STRICKLAND- HOW TO MAKE YOUR LUCK by Joey A

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
HOW TO MAKE YOUR LUCK ?

First off, Earl Strickland is right about the International Pro Tour and Kevin Trudeau. At the end of the match when Racheal Abbink interviewed him, he showed a lot of clarity of thought about the value of the International Pro Tour and Kevin Trudeau. The players while still owed money have continued to receive payments, the debt being whittled down and the players? pockets becoming fuller. These incremental payments amount to more money than the players could ever hope to win in most pool tournaments. The earnings that the pool players made during those times were incredible numbers and Kevin Trudeau with all of his warts continues to pay off the debt. As Johnny Archer said, he knows Kevin could have left the pool scene and went on to other things. Archer said he thinks Kevin is crazy for continuing but that he is grateful that Kevin continues to show an interest in pool and the IPT. Earl also admonished those who continue to discredit the IPT and Kevin Trudeau and I think he is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. While Kevin could certainly have done things differently and better, he continues to right the wrongs and errors that were created. My hat is off to Kevin Trudeau, Deno Andrews and all of the people who continue to support the International Pool Tour. The possibility still exists that this tour could help to pave the way for better earnings for professional pool players.

I would hope that those who are of a different opinion will either give them another chance and cease with the over-the-top criticism or put up the money and the wherewithal to create a pool tour that has the potential of equaling or surpassing what the International Pool Tour has accomplished.

Now for the gist of my thread: I made notes as I watched the match between Earl and Johnny. They are just one man?s observation and this is an original draft without polish so don?t beat me up too bad on the grammar or perspectives..:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is about creating your own luck and is dedicated to Earl Strickland.

Some of his titles include: US Open Nine-ball Championship (1984, 1987, 1993, 1997, 2000)

WPA World Nine-ball Championship (1990, 1991, 2002)

This is going to be rather harsh criticism coming from a lowly amateur who has few credits in the professional arena of pool. However, I think that I suffer from similar problems that Earl suffers from and I decided that I would make notes about his play as the match progressed. So Earl if you reading this, you may want to get yourself a cup of relaxing tea. :) This criticism is impartial and I made it my business to observe and record as the match progressed. I won?t be so foolish as to think that I play pool better than Earl and so this is simply a record of what I saw and what could be done to improve your play.

Earl, at the beginning everything was going fine in the match. You were playing another great player and it was see-saw for the first few games. Where you started going wrong was talking to the spectators and looking around the room trying to garner support or interaction from others. You must make a decision to remain absolutely silent throughout the match. This decision will positively impact your game more than anything else you will do. By talking to ANYONE, you allow your mind to wander.

The second thing I noticed is that you were changing your rhythm and rushing certain shots which sometimes resulted in either missing the VERY MAKEABLE shot entirely or getting poor shape on the next shot which created additional unnecessary problems. You need to give the same amount of respect and time to each of your shots to stay in stroke from shot to shot.

You have to pay more attention to shape, especially when playing 8 ball. With so many balls on the table, a little bad shape changes a fairly easy pattern of running the rack into a FAR MORE DIFFICULT rack, adding pressure to each subsequent shot.

You have to be more conscientious of applying better speed control of the cue ball. While you hadn?t played on the cloth in over a year, that wasn?t the problem. You simply didn?t pay enough attention to your speed control and the cue ball would over-run or come up short on shape far too often. THIS HAPPENS IN OTHER MATCHES that I have watched you play in recently on different cloth so it is not a new problem and if you are honest you will admit that this is probably the biggest reason for you lack of ?luck?. By remaining silent throughout the match, you will be able to remember to pay more attention to your cue ball speed control.

NO TALKING.

WHEN YOUR OPPONENT IS SHOOTING:
Look at the pool table. Sit upright, eagerly awaiting your turn at the table. Think about what you will do when you get to the table. Be patient. Don?t hope for your opponent to miss or get a bad roll. Simply eagerly wait for your turn and be happy when you get a turn and be sure to make the best use of that opportunity by taking nothing for granted, especially shape. 4 ?? pockets on Diamond Billiard Tables, combined with the largest number of great players the world has ever seen means that more care has to be given to precision shape. These pockets don?t accept balls like the tables of yesterday. You have to change.

Think positive thoughts. When a negative thought enters your mind. Simply say to yourself and not outloud, ?STOP?! Replace that negative thought(s) with positive thought(s). If you supply enough positive thoughts it will force the negative thoughts away as there will be no room for negative thinking. You already know that negative thinking produces negative results. Positive thinking produces positive results.

ROLLS: Accept the bad rolls just like you should accept the good rolls; without comment and without condemnation or appreciation. They are part of the game and treating them both the same will keep you on an even keel, allowing you to spend your time concentrating on the things that you do have control over. When you control your cue ball speed better you will get better rolls.

Each of the records/thoughts were recorded as the match unfolded and are in chronological order.

No rushing to the next shot. Consistency in all things, especially in rhythm. You changed your rhythm often during the match and it altered your shape and your ability to consistently make the balls. You have up games when you didn?t have to. All you had to do was to stay in a comfortable rhythm. You speeded up when you should have slowed down. It is what I saw and I play well enough to know what I saw.

From time to time I will probably write about the same thing because it is what I saw as the match continued?..

Pay more attention to shape.

NO TALKING OUTOUD TO YOURSELF. No talking to anyone. You are a champion and you will play like one when you cease talking to anyone including yourself. It does you no good to talk to yourself contrary to what you may think. Most of the time when you are talking to yourself you are saying negative things about the rolls or your ability to play well or that you are a loser. Replace those negative thoughts with positive thoughts. When you get a bad roll, say, ?I will pay more attention to my cue ball speed control so that I can achieve more precise position?. When you dog a shot, say, ?I will keep my mouth shut and when I am at the table next time, I will take more time and not rush my shot?. When you get a genuine bad roll like on the break when the cue ball gets kicked into the corner pocket, say ?This is part of the game and something I do not have control over but I will get better rolls by paying better attention to my cue ball speed control? There is nothing you can do about an object ball kicking in the cue ball on the break. Accept it and look forward to your next opportunity at the table. When a negative thought enters your mind, replace it with a positive thought. Choose your positive thoughts carefully. Your positive thoughts should be things that you can control.

DO NOT INTERACT WITH YOUR OPPONENT OR THE SPECTATORS. This takes your mind away from the task at hand and further removes you from the challenge you face at each and every opportunity.

Finally, when you call shots, call them with confidence. Be happy to be at the table. Be happy when you have the opportunity to call the pocket. A more positive attitude on the table with produce better results for you. This is a minor thing that I saw but your overall attitude must be more upbeat and positive.

Earl, you play well enough to beat Archer or any other top player. You are a top player and you have simply failed to pay enough attention to the things you have control over. When you start paying enough attention to the things you have control over, you will not hear the commentators in the booth. When you replace those negative thoughts with positive thoughts, you will play up to your ability which in my opinion is still up there with the best of them. Since there are so many more top players today and the equipment is tougher than it has ever been, you have to pay more attention to these little things that I observed in your match with Johnny.

Tougher equipment + more, tougher opponents + age means that you have to pay more attention to the things I?ve listed.

I?m not going to waste my time summarizing any of this or polishing it up. I wrote it as I saw it and I?m hoping you will take this opportunity to improve your game and life.

Good luck! (You will receive all of the good luck you need IF you do the things I suggest.) You have the skills but you have to CHANGE and pay more attention to what needs to be done. Did I say no talking to the spectators, opponents and also yourself? :)

I look forward to congratulating you on your next title.

Best Regards,
JoeyA

JoeyA

bruceree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good information. I'm sure this will help all our games, but I fear that Earl has received this type of info time and time again in the last 5 years and just couldn't get rid of his habits.

With all the physical gadgets earl has brought to tournaments (glasses, bridge arm weights, gloves, armbands, etc), I bet he has tried 10 times more mental things.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
HOW TO MAKE YOUR LUCK ?

First off, Earl Strickland is right about the International Pro Tour and Kevin Trudeau. At the end of the match when Racheal Abbink interviewed him, he showed a lot of clarity of thought about the value of the International Pro Tour and Kevin Trudeau. The players while still owed money have continued to receive payments, the debt being whittled down and the players? pockets becoming fuller. These incremental payments amount to more money than the players could ever hope to win in most pool tournaments. The earnings that the pool players made during those times were incredible numbers and Kevin Trudeau with all of his warts continues to pay off the debt. As Johnny Archer said, he knows Kevin could have left the pool scene and went on to other things. Archer said he thinks Kevin is crazy for continuing but that he is grateful that Kevin continues to show an interest in pool and the IPT. Earl also admonished those who continue to discredit the IPT and Kevin Trudeau and I think he is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. While Kevin could certainly have done things differently and better, he continues to right the wrongs and errors that were created. My hat is off to Kevin Trudeau, Deno Andrews and all of the people who continue to support the International Pool Tour. The possibility still exists that this tour could help to pave the way for better earnings for professional pool players.

I would hope that those who are of a different opinion will either give them another chance and cease with the over-the-top criticism or put up the money and the wherewithal to create a pool tour that has the potential of equaling or surpassing what the International Pool Tour has accomplished.

Now for the gist of my thread: I made notes as I watched the match between Earl and Johnny. They are just one man?s observation and this is an original draft without polish so don?t beat me up too bad on the grammar or perspectives..:)

This thread is about creating your own luck and is dedicated to Earl Strickland.

Some of his titles include: US Open Nine-ball Championship (1984, 1987, 1993, 1997, 2000)

This is going to be rather harsh criticism coming from a lowly amateur who has few credits in the professional arena of pool. However, I think that I suffer from similar problems that Earl suffers from and I decided that I would make notes about his play as the match progressed. So Earl if you reading this, you may want to get yourself a cup of relaxing tea. :) This criticism is impartial and I made it my business to observe and record as the match progressed. I won?t be so foolish as to think that I play pool better than Earl and so this is simply a record of what I saw and what could be done to improve your play.

Earl, at the beginning everything was going fine in the match. You were playing another great player and it was see-saw for the first few games. Where you started going wrong was talking to the spectators and looking around the room trying to garner support or interaction from others. You must make a decision to remain absolutely silent throughout the match. This decision will positively impact your game more than anything else you will do. By talking to ANYONE, you allow your mind to wander.

The second thing I noticed is that you were changing your rhythm and rushing certain shots which sometimes resulted in either missing the VERY MAKEABLE shot entirely or getting poor shape on the next shot which created additional unnecessary problems. You need to give the same amount of respect and time to each of your shots to stay in stroke from shot to shot.

You have to pay more attention to shape, especially when playing 8 ball. With so many balls on the table, a little bad shape changes a fairly easy pattern of running the rack into a FAR MORE DIFFICULT rack, adding pressure to each subsequent shot.

You have to be more conscientious of applying better speed control of the cue ball. While you hadn?t played on the cloth in over a year, that wasn?t the problem. You simply didn?t pay enough attention to your speed control and the cue ball would over-run or come up short on shape far too often. THIS HAPPENS IN OTHER MATCHES that I have watched you play in recently on different cloth so it is not a new problem and if you are honest you will admit that this is probably the biggest reason for you lack of ?luck?. By remaining silent throughout the match, you will be able to remember to pay more attention to your cue ball speed control.

NO TALKING.

Look at the pool table. Sit upright, eagerly awaiting your turn at the table. Think about what you will do when you get to the table. Be patient. Don?t hope for your opponent to miss or get a bad roll. Simply eagerly wait for your turn and be happy when you get a turn and be sure to make the best use of that opportunity by taking nothing for granted, especially shape. 4 ?? pockets on Diamond Billiard Tables, combined with the largest number of great players the world has ever seen means that more care has to be given to precision shape. These pockets don?t accept balls like the tables of yesterday. You have to change.

Think positive thoughts. When a negative thought enters your mind. Simply say to yourself and not outloud, ?STOP?! Replace that negative thought(s) with positive thought(s). If you supply enough positive thoughts it will force the negative thoughts away as there will be no room for negative thinking. You already know that negative thinking produces negative results. Positive thinking produces positive results.

ROLLS: Accept the bad rolls just like you should accept the good rolls; without comment and without condemnation or appreciation. They are part of the game and treating them both the same will keep you on an even keel, allowing you to spend your time concentrating on the things that you do have control over. When you control your cue ball speed better you will get better rolls.

Each of the records/thoughts were recorded as the match unfolded and are in chronological order.

No rushing to the next shot. Consistency in all things, especially in rhythm. You changed your rhythm often during the match and it altered your shape and your ability to consistently make the balls. You have up games when you didn?t have to. All you had to do was to stay in a comfortable rhythm. You speeded up when you should have slowed down. It is what I saw and I play well enough to know what I saw.

From time to time I will probably write about the same thing because it is what I saw as the match continued?..

NO TALKING OUTOUD TO YOURSELF. No talking to anyone. You are a champion and you will play like one when you cease talking to anyone including yourself. It does you no good to talk to yourself contrary to what you may think. Most of the time when you are talking to yourself you are saying negative things about the rolls or your ability to play well or that you are a loser. Replace those negative thoughts with positive thoughts. When you get a bad roll, say, ?I will pay more attention to my cue ball speed control so that I can achieve more precise position?. When you dog a shot, say, ?I will keep my mouth shut and when I am at the table next time, I will take more time and not rush my shot?. When you get a genuine bad roll like on the break when the cue ball gets kicked into the corner pocket, say ?This is part of the game and something I do not have control over but I will get better rolls by paying better attention to my cue ball speed control? There is nothing you can do about an object ball kicking in the cue ball on the break. Accept it and look forward to your next opportunity at the table. When a negative thought enters your mind, replace it with a positive thought. Choose your positive thoughts carefully. Your positive thoughts should be things that you can control.

DO NOT INTERACT WITH YOUR OPPONENT OR THE SPECTATORS. This takes your mind away from the task at hand and further removes you from the challenge you face at each and every opportunity.

Finally, when you call shots, call them with confidence. Be happy to be at the table. Be happy when you have the opportunity to call the pocket. A more positive attitude on the table with produce better results for you. This is a minor thing that I saw but your overall attitude must be more upbeat and positive.

Earl, you play well enough to beat Archer or any other top player. You are a top player and you have simply failed to pay enough attention to the things you have control over. When you start paying enough attention to the things you have control over, you will not hear the commentators in the booth. When you replace those negative thoughts with positive thoughts, you will play up to your ability which in my opinion is still up there with the best of them. Since there are so many more top players today and the equipment is tougher than it has ever been, you have to pay more attention to these little things that I observed in your match with Johnny.

Tougher equipment + more, tougher opponents + age means that you have to pay more attention to the things I?ve listed.

I?m not going to waste my time summarizing any of this or polishing it up. I wrote it as I saw it and I?m hoping you will take this opportunity to improve your game and life.

Good luck! (You will receive all of the good luck you need IF you do the things I suggest.) You have the skills but you have to CHANGE and pay more attention to what needs to be done. Did I say no talking to the spectators, opponents and also yourself? :)

Best Regards,
JoeyA

JoeyA

I have to agree with you Joey, just act like an adult who has been there before.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
HOW TO MAKE YOUR LUCK ?

NO TALKING.

Best Regards,
JoeyA

JoeyA

I have to agree with you Joey, just act like an adult who has been there before.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
HOW TO MAKE YOUR LUCK ?

NO TALKING.

Best Regards,
JoeyA

JoeyA

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
minor change

Joey,

I do believe you are absolutely correct about the problems you noticed and what would correct them if Earl could and would apply your suggestions. Of course there are many of us with far less ability than Earl with much the same problems although we may not be quite as demonstrative or have people take such notice when we do something.

The one minor change I would make is in your positive statements. You never "not" do something in a positive statement. You substitute a totally different statement with no negative terms such as "not". As an example you think, "I will carefully plan my shot and the rest of the runout" instead of "I will not rush my shot." This is a minor change but it is important enough to note when working on our mental game.

A well thought out post. I could tease you about a typo or two but I don't expose my own quick notes taken while watching something to the world for good reason, they are almost unreadable!

Hu

JoeyA said:
HOW TO MAKE YOUR LUCK ?

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Joey,

I do believe you are absolutely correct about the problems you noticed and what would correct them if Earl could and would apply your suggestions. Of course there are many of us with far less ability than Earl with much the same problems although we may not be quite as demonstrative or have people take such notice when we do something.

The one minor change I would make is in your positive statements. You never "not" do something in a positive statement. You substitute a totally different statement with no negative terms such as "not". As an example you think, "I will carefully plan my shot and the rest of the runout" instead of "I will not rush my shot." This is a minor change but it is important enough to note when working on our mental game.

A well thought out post. I could tease you about a typo or two but I don't expose my own quick notes taken while watching something to the world for good reason, they are almost unreadable!

Hu

You are right about not using negative terms with your positive affirmations. It is critical to success. You have to be extremely careful as to what your affirmations say. I have a long list of them that I have created over time and I sometimes go back over them.

This was my first draft but I knew I could count on my buddies to get it right. :D Thanks, you are spot on.

Earl, I hope you are taking notes. :) This correction has my approval. :)

Merry Christmas,

JoeyA

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Joey,

You almost lost me when you agreed with Earl saying that I am not thinking clearly. Did I miss something or have I imagined the last year or so?

:confused:

I guess that first kick in the nuts wasn't enough for some of the players to realize what is really going on. I still challenge anybody to find where I said anything during the last go around that did not eventually come true. I'm not gloating, I'm just presenting facts.

That being said, I'll continue to think as "un-clearly" as possible, and if that pisses of a few people along the way - so be it. I'll stick to my guns on this one no matter what anybody says about it, including Earl. He'll find something to get pissed off at me anyway, I might as well give him a good reason to make it worth his energy, right?

:rolleyes:

As far as the rest of your post - great stuff. There really is some great "pearls" of wisdom in there that will help a lot of players.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is luck?

It is just random events that sometimes go your way and sometimes go against you.

I think the best way to think about your luck is that it is just like fliping a coin.... flip it 100 times and you'll get almost exactly 50 heads/50 tails. Luck in pool is no different and that's what you have to make yourself believe.

Most of the time when you think you had "bad luck" it was actually your own doing by either making a poor shot, or by taking a chance that you knew might end up in a bad situation.

The main thing in pool is you have to reconize when it wasn't bad luck that got you in a bad situation. Like in the Earl/Johnny match... when Earl scratched in the bottom corner when it was kicked in by an object ball, Earl complained about bad luck... that's when Johnny said, "You hit 'em bad".... Exactly!... the cueball should never have been down 12"inches from a bottom corner pocket on an 8-ball break... Earl just refused to see that and complained about his "luck".

We will all have our lucky days and our days when nothing goes your way... the problem is we remember our bad luck days longer.... I know I do.

I used to complain about bad luck ALOT, I still do sometimes, but now I try to convince myself it is just a statistical thing and that the next roll will go my way.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Joey,

You almost lost me when you agreed with Earl saying that I am not thinking clearly. Did I miss something or have I imagined the last year or so?

:confused:

I guess that first kick in the nuts wasn't enough for some of the players to realize what is really going on. I still challenge anybody to find where I said anything during the last go around that did not eventually come true. I'm not gloating, I'm just presenting facts.

That being said, I'll continue to think as "un-clearly" as possible, and if that pisses of a few people along the way - so be it. I'll stick to my guns on this one no matter what anybody says about it, including Earl. He'll find something to get pissed off at me anyway, I might as well give him a good reason to make it worth his energy, right?

:rolleyes:

As far as the rest of your post - great stuff. There really is some great "pearls" of wisdom in there that will help a lot of players.

Blackjack, you are losing me. :confused: I am confused. My post has nothing to do with you, nothing to do with whatever you are referring to or alluding to which I am not familiar with or even understand what I am writing about at this moment in time. :)

I never thought about you when I was posting this. I was writing my post as I viewed the match. My thoughts as I was viewing the match were that Earl is correct about the IPT and that players should be grateful for the opportunity to earn more money than they have ever earned. This thread wasn't designed to create controversy or dissension amongst either group. It is just my observation and opinion, like the many that have gone before mine. If another person or another entity has the money and wherewithal to compete or compare with the IPT, I am all for it. Unless someone steps up to the plate to compete with the IPT, I say let them continue unabated. Those that do not wish to join, may sit on the sidelines, not participate but at least be happy for those who hope for the IPT's successful return. In other words, wish the IPT and their supporters well instead of praying for their ultimate demise. In the past I haven't read that much about your perspective on the IPT but now realize that you have no love for them. (You have some company along that thinking). That being said, I can appreciate your right to your opinion but hope that you will find it in your heart to wish the supporters and the IPT well.

The main purpose of this thread was two-fold. One to share my observations with the AZ Main Forum and hopefully that Earl will see or get wind of my observations, take heed and turn his game up another notch so that he may return back at the top where he belongs.

And thanks for the kind words.
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
eastcoast_chris said:
What is luck?

It is just random events that sometimes go your way and sometimes go against you.

I think the best way to think about your luck is that it is just like fliping a coin.... flip it 100 times and you'll get almost exactly 50 heads/50 tails. Luck in pool is no different and that's what you have to make yourself believe.

Most of the time when you think you had "bad luck" it was actually your own doing by either making a poor shot, or by taking a chance that you knew might end up in a bad situation.

The main thing in pool is you have to reconize when it wasn't bad luck that got you in a bad situation. Like in the Earl/Johnny match... when Earl scratched in the bottom corner when it was kicked in by an object ball, Earl complained about bad luck... that's when Johnny said, "You hit 'em bad".... Exactly!... the cueball should never have been down 12"inches from a bottom corner pocket on an 8-ball break... Earl just refused to see that and complained about his "luck".

We will all have our lucky days and our days when nothing goes your way... the problem is we remember our bad luck days longer.... I know I do.

I used to complain about bad luck ALOT, I still do sometimes, but now I try to convince myself it is just a statistical thing and that the next roll will go my way.

Chris, I may be wrong but I think Johnny was referring to Earl's overall "luck", not the break shot in particular. And I believe Earl thought so too because he told Johnny that he(Earl) was playing good....

Luck can be persuaded to go one way or the other. The truly lucky people make their own good luck and don't complain about it when it isn't going their way. They choose to dwell on what they can control rather than what they cannot.

JoeyA

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my couple of observations

Earl seemed to shot better after Johnny put him in his place. I think we all sometimes have a bad attitude and it takes someone putting you in your place to get you out of that funk.

And Earl plays like he is bored with the game.

Fragged

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Advice and it would have been good advice 5 years ago. In the interim, when others were pointing out these same things you just blindly supported Earl. Why are you speaking out now? Dont tell me this is the first time you really saw him play?

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Blackjack.......Strickland has, as I'm sure you'd agree, provided as much enjoyment to pool fans, in more ways than one, as anyone else in the last 15 years........but the notion that the Strickland of today has any more valid a qualification than the next guy to give an objective, astute or reliable opinion on who is or isn't "thinking clearly" about any given subject is, on all currently available evidence, more than just a little nonsensical........so there is hardly any need for loss of sleep on that one;) :)

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
If EARL wouldn't let "whitey" off the leash as much as he does his luck would be better...

doner======>can't play but understands probabilities

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
eastcoast_chris said:
What is luck?

I thought luck was the residue of hard work? Or was it residue is the work of hard luck?

Anyway, 54 heads, 46 tails. Close enough.