Schmidt video release November

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I guess the bottom line is he can do whatever he wants, he owes the pool world nothing and they will likely reward him accordingly no matter how he markets it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I just received an update to this from LA.

December 31, 2019 at TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Mann's Chinese Theatre)
will show "The Run, my path to 626" in IMAX. Tickets are $17 and there will be a red carpet gala, with the arrivial of such pool dignitaries including: "Blackballed, logical, lfigureoa, Jimmy G, and 4 more.

There will be a Q+A afterwards with the actor and Danny Harriman will be moderating.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

will show "The Run, my path to 626" in IMAX. Tickets are $17 and there will be a red carpet gala, with the arrivial of such pool dignitaries including: "Blackballed, logical, lfigureoa, Jimmy G, and 4 more.

There will be a Q+A afterwards with the actor and Danny Harriman will be moderating.

Great, I love comedies...:smile:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"
What did he spend 10,000 on to break the record.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like he just isn't comfortable with any arrangement yet, and this private screening thing is just a way to let some people see it before making a commitment to anything else.

I don't blame him for waiting for a good deal, and I don't blame him for wanting to sell it to someone who knows what they're doing rather than trying to start some kind of video-selling service himself. He should talk to Accu-stats about it (he probably already has), or even Dr. Dave who started selling his videos online a few years ago. My instinct would be to skip selling DVD hard copies and go right to something like Vimeo, but who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if the target audience for something like this is more comfortable with buying discs than streaming.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Private showings... LOLOLOL. Man that's hysterical. I wouldn't go to that if my local pool room offered at a time that was convenient for me.

I want to buy a copy and own it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Private showings... LOLOLOL. Man that's hysterical. I wouldn't go to that if my local pool room offered at a time that was convenient for me.

I want to buy a copy and own it.

Yeah. I sure would go to your room to see it either!

At 4 hrs, I would have to break viewing up into multiple sittings.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I'll require a modest appearance fee, travel costs and accomodations for my entourage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sensible

His approach actually makes sense to me.

Everyone has already stated he won't make much money here if he puts it on Youtube or sells DVDs. We know that. And selling the rights directly doesn't make him much either. Let's assume that he makes 10K either way. So what he has doesn't hold huge traditional market value.

So why sell? If you owned a car that you spent your entire life restoring and someone offered you next to nothing for it, wouldn't you rather just keep it? Well, John has spent his life in a quest to achieve a world record on camera. I don't blame him for not wanting to disperse it for pennies. I believe this is the same reason that Jay hasn't released Earl's 10 rack run for the million (which I would LOVE to see, Jay, PM me if I could ever do a 'private showing'!).

In the meantime, if he creates a tour from city to city and conducts 'tours' of his run in person, I see him filling up rooms. A chance to spend the afternoon with a US Open champion walking you through a record breaking straight pool run and doing Q&As? I'd support that. Not sure how big the groups would be, but if it was 10-20 people I'd chip in $1-200. I'd guarantee I'd learn something from that session and if I could have a good time, witness a record run, meet some friends, and pick up a few nuggets, for me that's worth taking a day off work.

Even if most people aren't interested that's fine with him. As long as he gets enough people in every city for him to tour the country and use this as a draw, why wouldn't he? Maybe he can't pull it off, but at least it's a good try.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are you going to break it up into multiple sittings when you aren't allowed to leave until it's over.

But really, I was referring to what version of purchasing would be of value to me.

If I had to sit thru 4 hrs of a pool vid, I'd pay double an hour into it, just to get out of the remainder.

I'd need my own copy, to start and stop as I see fit.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a lighter note, there's a sure-fire ancillary revenue-generating opportunity for AZB itself in all this:

The site owners could eventually compile and sell to worldwide universities, the entire contents of the "Mr 600" thread (presently tallying in excess of 1,255 comments and 46,000 views) and the three or four other 626-related threads.

There's hardly a category in university catalogs (drama, sociology, asymmetrical warfare, entrepreneurial business, abnormal psychology, sports, conspiracy histories, secret societies, novel writing, etc.) whose professors and students wouldn't find the material appealing and applicable to decades of ongoing research and Master/Doctoral programs.

Arnaldo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appealing, or apalling?
:grin-square:
On a lighter note, there's a sure-fire ancillary revenue-generating opportunity for AZB itself in all this:

The site owners could eventually compile and sell to worldwide universities, the entire contents of the "Mr 600" thread (presently tallying in excess of 1,255 comments and 46,000 views) and the three or four other 626-related threads.

There's hardly a category in university catalogs (drama, sociology, asymmetrical warfare, entrepreneurial business, abnormal psychology, sports, conspiracy histories, secret societies, novel writing, etc.) whose professors and students wouldn't find the material appealing and applicable to decades of ongoing research and Master/Doctoral programs.

Arnaldo

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh no. I was looking forward to owning the DVD. Isn't there a way to make a DVD which can't be copied?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
But really, I was referring to what version of purchasing would be of value to me.

If I had to sit thru 4 hrs of a pool vid, I'd pay double an hour into it, just to get out of the remainder.

I'd need my own copy, to start and stop as I see fit.

That’s how I see it...I won’t watch a 4 hour video straight through in my home...
...damn sure I won’t be trapped some place for that long.

I was hoping he’d see Pat Fleming