Maple butt

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could anyone give me an idea of what a complete maple butt would weigh ? 29” long, No weight added of course. And how would it play? Thanks, mike

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Could anyone give me an idea of what a complete maple butt would weigh ? 29” long, No weight added of course. And how would it play? Thanks, mike

Around 13 oz.
Too light.
You will have to drop the elbow a lot to put some action on the cue ball.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too light naturally, I have one in the making now. 30" BEM @ .650" purpleheart core.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too light naturally, I have one in the making now. 30" BEM @ .650" purpleheart core.

Best of both worlds with that combination I take it. How about some pics of that when it’s finished? How would an all maple butt play if weight was added in the right spots to make it around 15ozs? Without the purpleheart core?

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best of both worlds with that combination I take it. How about some pics of that when it’s finished? How would an all maple butt play if weight was added in the right spots to make it around 15ozs? Without the purpleheart core?

You need to add approximately two ounces. Stainless collar and 1 0z weight bolt would get you closer. if you can shoot with an 18 oz cue it just might work with a bit of tinkering :) that's selecting some dense maple, not lightweight Birdeyes

Mario

Almost forgot, how would it play? Like a Stainless collar Maple light cue :) that somebody put together to satisfy a customer's idea of greatness.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks. Sure I can send you some pictures when it's ready.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you guys don't mind a question a bit off topic from Mikes question, kinda still in the same ballpark. Any idea what a 29" solid ebony butt (non cored) would roughly weigh in at? Thanks.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on specific gravity, published values:
Gabon ebony specific gravity at 6% is about .86
Hard maple s.g. @ 6% is about .62

so GE is about 1.42 x as dense as HM at the same MC.

Based on published "dry weights"; 44 for HM & 60 for GE, the ratio would be 1.36

Relating to cues, Joey always seems to know what he's talking about, so if a solid hard maple butt @ 29" long weighs 13 oz; then the exact same dimension butt in GB ought to weigh 17.7 to 18.4 oz.

I've never made a solid ebony butt, but that seems about right, considering other wood that is close. I've made a few 30" butts and it can be difficult to get the weight out of them with dense lumber to start.

Diameter matters - whether you like the ever-more slender modern shapes in the 1.250 range, or prefer something around 1-5/16" or even thicker.

That said, I'm primarily a hobbyist maker & not very active at that..

smt

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on specific gravity, published values:
Gabon ebony specific gravity at 6% is about .86
Hard maple s.g. @ 6% is about .62

so GE is about 1.42 x as dense as HM at the same MC.

Based on published "dry weights"; 44 for HM & 60 for GE, the ratio would be 1.36

Relating to cues, Joey always seems to know what he's talking about, so if a solid hard maple butt @ 29" long weighs 13 oz; then the exact same dimension butt in GB ought to weigh 17.7 to 18.4 oz.

I've never made a solid ebony butt, but that seems about right, considering other wood that is close. I've made a few 30" butts and it can be difficult to get the weight out of them with dense lumber to start.

Diameter matters - whether you like the ever-more slender modern shapes in the 1.250 range, or prefer something around 1-5/16" or even thicker.

That said, I'm primarily a hobbyist maker & not very active at that..

smt
Thank you
:)