No matter how well YOU play, your losing opponent says, "I played so bad!"

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day. I know two or three regulars at the pool hall who NEVER compliment their opponent on his good play, they just bemoan the fact that THEIR play was poor that day.

After giving it a little thought, I have a suggestion for those of you, like me, who are irritated by the "I played SOOOO bad" guys. Next time it happens to you, maybe you should say something like, "You think YOU played bad, ME, I'm the one who played just terrible! I don't remember EVER playing as bad as I played today. Geez, I hope I NEVER have another session where my game is off this much. Have you EVER seen me miss so many shots?":mad::mad:

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.:smile:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Break and runs will usally put a stop to their excuses:smile:. I try to remind myself when I lose that you really don't play anyone but the table.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
I play a guy on a regular basis that will usually say "I beat myself" no matter how well I play. Eventually I said "Yeah I'm sure I had nothing to do with it" and he calmed down a bit, but he still says it now and then. I definitely hate playing him, but he helps me train my mental game. People like that need to shut the **** up and keep those comments to themselves. The last thing I want to hear when I play well is a comment taking away from my performance.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break and runs will usally put a stop to their excuses:smile:. I try to remind myself when I lose that you really don't play anyone but the table.
I agree about the "break and runs," but as I am a one-pocket player, break and runs are rare as hens teeth. As for the idea that "you really don't play anyone but the table," I have found that the table looks much tougher against some one-pocket opponents than it does against others!:smile:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly!

I play a guy on a regular basis that will usually say "I beat myself" no matter how well I play. Eventually I said "Yeah I'm sure I had nothing to do with it" and he calmed down a bit, but he still says it now and then. I definitely hate playing him, but he helps me train my mental game. People like that need to shut the **** up and keep those comments to themselves. The last thing I want to hear when I play well is a comment taking away from my performance.

Sounds like you have had some similar experiences.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day. I know two or three regulars at the pool hall who NEVER compliment their opponent on his good play, they just bemoan the fact that THEIR play was poor that day.

After giving it a little thought, I have a suggestion for those of you, like me, who are irritated by the "I played SOOOO bad" guys. Next time it happens to you, maybe you should say something like, "You think YOU played bad, ME, I'm the one who played just terrible! I don't remember EVER playing as bad as I played today. Geez, I hope I NEVER have another session where my game is off this much. Have you EVER seen me miss so many shots?":mad::mad:

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.:smile:

sometimes it bothers me but i don't let it get to me. i've had other guys play really good and it seems to put me in a coma. you guys have had it happen right? you're breaking good and put a rack or two together then when you break dry your opponent is hooked

sometimes when someone plays well the other guy can't get it started. like when efren shut out jimmy wetch.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

This is a normal human reaction. When I get beat I know why, when I am player with someone who make a GREAT SHOW I say something to them to let them know it was a GREAT SHOT IMO.

Defeat is a form of rejection, and people hate being rejected. Great Salesmen hand rejection well, because it goes with sales.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I hate it. Like my runouts at every opportunity had nothing to do with it.

There's also the more passive slap where they say something like, "sorry I couldn't give you my normal game, but I my team captain will be happy that I lost."

Fred

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Why should anyone give you a pat on the back for playing a good game? That's what you are to do at all times.

I don't care one bit on why the other persond thinks they lost. I only care about how I won and to do it again.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't help myself when this happens, being the a$$ that I am.

"Yeah, I know you play bad sometimes, but not that bad. Thanks for letting me just hang in there with you. I didn't even have to show up. I had a bad day at work. I do appreciate you not making me concentrate so hard. Wanna beer?"

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
If you played run-out pool I will say so but if I did in fact play bad I have no trouble saying that too. Most important is that "W" and it really doesnt matter how you get it. When I read a box score and its shows 15 wins and 1 lose, sure as hell dont say how that team won :D

Voodoo~~makes it point to say "good match" either way.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another option

I just thought of another rejoinder when your opponent attributes your victory to their bad play. How about when they say, "Man, I played SOOO bad!", you say, "Gee, I don't think you played bad at all. In fact, I would rate your play today as well above your average level.":smile:

J

Jody C

I play a guy who always come with the phrase I can't play for such a small amount of money when he loses. My record against him is 30 wins and 1 loss in 14.1. I confessed, oh well, it must be me.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Just say "Yeah, I have that effect on everyone, don't feel bad" its sort of like your agreeing but taking credit at the same time.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Reading the title of that cracked me up. Lately I have had a pool stalker. Apparently he was in Hickory watching me play one day. The next day I was in Charlotte watching the Tommy Kennedy tourney and he shows up talking to me about how he was watching me play the other day in Hickory. I was thinking ok this is strange.

The next week I am playing in Hickory again and here he comes. Later on he asks if I'll play him a few to which I say yea sure why not. I pretty much destroy him and he says "I can't believe that I finally get to play you and I play my worst pool ever."

I just didn't have the heart to tell him that I've seen him play and he is playing par for his course.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Depends on the person

Some people I know are genuinely like me and can rate their game honestly. When they have an off day and I beat them we can both acknowledge the truth of that. On the other hand, some people would proclaim they were just having a bad day if SVB beats them. Since they usually know they are just making excuses one of the most fun things to do is to agree with them. "Yeah, you really played bad today!" Elaborate awhile and watch them get more and more unhappy because they know deep down that they played their usual game and you are talking about their average play not a bad day. :D :D :D

Hu

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day.

Yes, I get this same story quite often when I win the most Sets while playing my regular practice partner ... He did, however, once state that I was getting too good and he would have to "cut me loose" ...

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I understand why you might get irritated Bill, when you only win a few times a year and your opponent taints it by saying they played poorly... :D

We all want to win and when we do we would like the normal accolade deserving of such efforts.

'Good Game', 'Good Match', 'It was my pleasure playing you', 'Best of luck for the next match.' All good and normal responses from gracious losers and good characteristics of a true competitor.

But, it doesn't irritate me when I get the same responses that irritate you. I usually am not concerned about those LOW CLASSED SOBs. They can have all those early matches in the one loss side of the bracket...

Miss my One Pocket buddies in Cincy

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that this all points to how most players (including myself) tend to rate their speed on their best game, or best night. It's the same reason people always claim that they don't play as well as they used to. There was about a two year period in my life where I played really strong and considered myself a "7 ball player" based on the way that I kinda rate the speed of myself and others. A "7 ball player" is somebody that can pretty much get out with the last 7 balls every time as long as he/she has a fair shot at the first one.
Now, although I can still break and run out every once in a while, to be totally honest, the most number of balls on the table that I'm 100% sure that I could handle with real consistency without screwing myself would be 4, so I would consider myself a "4 ball player" right now.
So, when I watch another player hit 'em around, and I see he generally runs around 4 balls on a consistent basis before he screws himself, I'm thinking to myself that I can beat this guy, when truthfully, that's about the same speed as I am. Problem is, although I'm only a 4 baller now, I know I can and have been a 7 baller, and that is generally how I mistakenly rate myself. So, when I end up in a game and play 4 baller speed, I tend to walk away from the situation thinking that I played poorly when in truth, I played exactly at my current speed.
I, for one tend to forget that I'm only as good as my low game.
dave