Please Help Me Fix My STROKE

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone recommend the right person to help me fix my stroke. I am a fairly decent player right now but have a weekness with my stroke. Most definitely at the end of the stroke. I recorded it tonight and watched it and was blown away how bad it is.

I Would like someone that really knows the technical parts of stroke and help me get my stroke to finish through the shot properly. I have always felt this is my largest weekness to reach a higher level.

Thanks in advance

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Can someone recommend the right person to help me fix my stroke. I am a fairly decent player right now but have a weekness with my stroke. Most definitely at the end of the stroke. I recorded it tonight and watched it and was blown away how bad it is.

I Would like someone that really knows the technical parts of stroke and help me get my stroke to finish through the shot properly. I have always felt this is my largest weekness to reach a higher level.

Thanks in advance

The end of the stroke has nothing to do with the outcome of the shot. If there is a 'problem at the end of the stroke", it is a result of a problem at the beginning of the stroke.

The CB is on it's way to the OB 0.001 second after tip contact. The part of the stroke that determines the outcome starts at the end of the final backswing and the beginning of the final forward stroke up until tip contact with the CB. At tip contact, the speed, angle of the stick, and placement on the CB determines where the CB goes. Bridge placement is very important and hitting the CB where you want is essential (about 3mm area, tough to do). An accelerating tip up until CB contact is important.....decelerating is a killer.

What happens after tip contact (follow through) is just a result of what happened before contact. The tip is slowed down a lot due to contact and often times is deflected right or left due to putting side spin on the CB......this can be deceiving when watching on film.

JMO, I'm not an instructor. Find a good instructor to help you with stroke fundamentals......cueing on a straight line. Could be alignment or grip issues.

Last edited:

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in an area that doesn’t have instructors. Hoping there is someone that might be able to help with online videos.

I do hear what your saying. I have a motion on my way to the cue ball that would make it hard to be consistent hitting the cue ball exactly where I expect too.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I am in an area that doesn’t have instructors. Hoping there is someone that might be able to help with online videos.

I do hear what your saying. I have a motion on my way to the cue ball that would make it hard to be consistent hitting the cue ball exactly where I expect too.

There are a lot of very good snooker instructional videos on youtube......Nic Barrow, Barry Starks, others. Watch all you can, especially the ones on the grip......how the back fingers move (unfurl/close) during the stroke.

Plan a trip to the Derby City Classic one year and set up a meeting with an instructor while you're there. Stan Shuffett, Mark Wilson, Jerry Briesath come to mind.

Here's a good one on the grip (part 4......watch all of them). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLZMClojds

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance

You are not that far from Portland, Oregon and I know a fantastic teacher there. I had a stroke issue until yesterday and he fixed it.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope to do that someday. With kids and business I don't have a lot of time at the moment. I do a lot of practice at home on my 9' table.

Hoping to stay a solid amateur player and possibly scare the odd full time player.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Something that has helped me straighten out my stroke:

Imagine you're tossing the cue underhanded, like a spear. For me that seems to get my body into the correct position for a naturally straight stroking motion along my line of sight.

pj
chgo

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something that has helped me straighten out my stroke:

Imagine you're tossing the cue underhanded, like a spear. For me that seems to get my body into the correct position for a naturally straight stroking motion along my line of sight.

pj
chgo

The stroke issue is easy to tell if you have a problem. Set the cue ball in the middle of the table 2 diamonds out and aim at the end rail with a fine marker denoting the diamond. Strike the CB with break speed and see what happens when you do it a few times. You'll probably end up on the right side or the left side consistently. If that is the case, try to shorten your bridge and see it that helps until you can get help. I practice this daily. No sense playing pool without a straight stroke.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Contact Scott Lee. If he can't go that far north he will know of a SPF instructor close by.
2. Try using a AcCueShot. Ozone carries them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The stroke issue is easy to tell if you have a problem. Set the cue ball in the middle of the table 2 diamonds out and aim at the end rail with a fine marker denoting the diamond. Strike the CB with break speed and see what happens when you do it a few times.
That's a revealing drill, especially if you use a striped ball as your "CB" with the stripe vertical to show any wobble from even a slightly off center hit. Try it at all speeds.

I practice seeing my shaft's movement in my peripheral vision to "live monitor" it for straightness and accuracy - I aim my stroke.

pj
chgo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Would hole reinforcers help you ?
Place one some 8 inches over the foot spot marker and one 8 inches or so below in line to the farthest corner pocket .
Bridge on the bottom reinforcer with the cue ball on the head spot.
Shoot dead straight to an object ball and let the tip rest on the other hole reinforcer .
It helped me a ton.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies.

Already trying things and seeing some flaws.

Looks like my cue tip goes to the left across the cue ball when striking it. I am not coming through straight or accurate. I make it work when things are good, but when there is a bit of pressure it quickly falls apart.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a bit pricey, around $150, but the Digicue Blue with interactive app is a very good stroke training tool.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jonas111...Is Seattle WA an option? I will be up there the first of March teaching, and I can definitely help you. You can then take the lesson home to BC, to practice on your home table, because I video record the entire lesson. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thanks for the replies.

Already trying things and seeing some flaws.

Looks like my cue tip goes to the left across the cue ball when striking it. I am not coming through straight or accurate. I make it work when things are good, but when there is a bit of pressure it quickly falls apart.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jonas111...Is Seattle WA an option? I will be up there the first of March teaching, and I can definitely help you. You can then take the lesson home to BC, to practice on your home table, because I video record the entire lesson. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It would be an option for sure and I would love to work with someone with your reputation. Won’t work this March unfortunately.

Thanks for reaching out.