So what is your Sneaky Pete / Sleeper Cue?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Now; I know dang well in a serious pool room, I'd better not do that.

I'm talking about a person slipping in without any fanfare, and playing a few games while observing the room; and choosing which tables / players to approach.

You notice someone with a pretty cue, playing for a few dollars a game; and try to catch them when their opponent walks away.

Or perhaps you notice someone practicing bank shots, and missing at least half of them; with their fancy looking imitation inlaid Player's cue. They have a haircut like Tom Cruise, and an overly loud looking cue and case.

This post reminds me of that Pretty Boy Floyd video people found on YouTube. :D:D

Those days are gone, anyone playing for more than $50 likely knows what a strong player looks like and plays like.

Conversely, anyone else playing for over $50 that doesn't know what they're getting into is a fish, and I don't take pride in parting them with their money like that. I'd rather show 'em a thing or two, but I ain't about to go Grady Seasons on him.

Oh, and in response to the thread:

House cue...... get it done right. :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm starting to think there needs to be a separate forum section for "it's still 1955" fantasy threads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Let me ask Minnesota Fats if that’s a good idea...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
...and my Tascarella isn’t ornate in the least. Nobody would look twice at my direction, unless they want to learn what not to do.

Freddie <~~~ smashing the cushions

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
This post reminds me of that Pretty Boy Floyd video people found on YouTube. :D:D

Those days are gone, anyone playing for more than $50 likely knows what a strong player looks like and plays like.

Conversely, anyone else playing for over $50 that doesn't know what they're getting into is a fish, and I don't take pride in parting them with their money like that. I'd rather show 'em a thing or two, but I ain't about to go Grady Seasons on him.

Oh, and in response to the thread:

House cue...... get it done right. :)

That video is so cheesy..... Even he didn't believe all that cheese. Reckon he misses the striking Viking?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got two sneakies.. older Pechauer and a Lil' Al Romero.. both
play great.. BTW people call cues Sneaky Petes that have joint
rings, butt caps, some kind of wrap.. a sneaky pete IMO looks
almost like a house cue.

"Let's be honest.. for the CASH, I beat 'em all for the CASH,
so let's be honest.. CASH CASH CASH. And I'M the world's
greatest pool hustler.. for the CASH"

-Pretty Boy Floyd (being honest.. about the CASH):cool:

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Who looks at their CUE??

Seriously, I don't...at least not if I'm trying to size them up.

I look at their stroke and shot selections. Stance, how they chalk, table mgmt, all that matters more than the cue.

Don't even care if they're running out or not. Hard to hide a quality stroke.

The implication in your question is that someone can show up at a new room, play with a Chinese import, get weight from apparently-better players, then proceed to destroy them??

ALL FANTASY.

-von

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
That video is so cheesy..... Even he didn't believe all that cheese. Reckon he misses the striking Viking?

He misses a lot of things, hangers into the side pocket, straight back banks, thin cuts.

Dude, did you fall out of a time machine?? Haven't heard "the Striking Viking" since she used to be introduced in her commentary on 1996 PBT world 8 ball coverage. :rotflmao:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sneaking. More about theft than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Since most shafts can fit on many different butts, I just use a cheap McDermott Star butt on my playing shafts which are mostly 3/8x10. Only when I know I am heading into a random bar, not real pool halls. I also leave my real case at home and take along a cheap soft case. Less to keep track of.

I actually have two of those, also helps with cue loaners for friends.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s my old SPJU with my Castio case. When I’m playing in strange bars or my friends basement with that harassing support pole I use this cue. It hits as good as my more expensive cues but I don’t have to worry about a bump or scratch.

865916C2-ACCB-4073-97A2-0BA85515D62A.jpeg

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a predator roadline I use at the club. But I play the same guy every week, so I don't think it fools him. Haven't had anyone I didn't already know approach me to play for cash in about 20 years.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play off the wall. You want undercover you don't get more undercover than that.

If you are sizing up the room, watching players ect....then you don't need more. If you

can't beat them with a house cue, then you are in a wrong game anyways, when it comes

to stealing that is. As for watching stance/stroke...I look at their bridge hand. Big give

away is how they shoot the ball close to the rail...OTW cue...I am actually going out to

meet some folks now...my case will stay home. And I will not have problems running balls.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I have a fondness for sneaky petes. I can't choose between the Huebler, Huebler conversion, Predator, Dufferin Phantom, Joel Weinstock and Jerry Olivier. I had my Joel Weinstock picked up by non-players thinking it was a house cue.

Back in 1986, I bought a sneaky pete with brown micarta joint from V. Loria on the Bowery for $60. I considered it my first real cue and it was heads and shoulders better than the Modell specials. My frat brothers would insist I share it when we played pool until I bought a couple of nice house sticks. Unfortunately, the sneaky was stolen from the frat house over that same summer.