Moving to Central CT.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be moving to Oxford Ct in a few weeks and want to find a league to join in a decent pool room with 9 footers. Shooter's in Southbury is the closest, 45min, to me. How about a report? Mitch

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be moving to Oxford Ct in a few weeks and want to find a league to join in a decent pool room with 9 footers. Shooter's in Southbury is the closest, 45min, to me. How about a report? Mitch

Shooters is very nice. I think it's closer to you than 45 minutes. I've been there a couple of times, and I took a lesson with Sal Conti, the owner. I think that one is the closest to you, and I know they have some leagues.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oxford is probably half way between Shooters in southington and Fast Eddies in New Milford. Both are good rooms and both have leagues and some regulars. Other rooms I would recommend trying out would be Yale billiards and Cue n Brew. They may be a bit farther of a ride but good rooms.

PM me if you have any questions

Where are you moving from and why CT?

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooters is in Southington, is pretty active, has 9' GC IIIs.

For a treat, at some point find your way to Mark Kulungian's room:
Pool Table Magic
75 Ella Grasso Turnpike,
Windsor Locks, CT 06096

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm leaving central Mass, where I've lived my whole life and my kids and grandkids are nearby. My wife's family is in Putnam Cty NY and on Long Island. Sooooooo. Each of our trips will be about halfway to birthdays,graduations, weddings and funerals. We're both retired and decided to go into an over 55 community where there are all kinds of things going on for geezers. The community space has a pool table that guys play on every morning (not a good one) and there's always poker and other card and mah jhong games on an almost continuous basis. Indoor and outdoor pools, excercise gyms, etc etc.
We bought a house that has a beautifully finished basement that I've claimed half of for my GC-III.
Oh, the community is built around an 18 hole golf course. although I don't play.
After I get to know the locals and any AZ'ers that would like to spend an evening or two on my table
we'll have a get together. It'll be November when we're all set up.
Thanks for the info on the rooms.I'll check in at Shooters and Fast Eddies.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm leaving central Mass, where I've lived my whole life and my kids and grandkids are nearby. My wife's family is in Putnam Cty NY and on Long Island. Sooooooo. Each of our trips will be about halfway to birthdays,graduations, weddings and funerals. We're both retired and decided to go into an over 55 community where there are all kinds of things going on for geezers. The community space has a pool table that guys play on every morning (not a good one) and there's always poker and other card and mah jhong games on an almost continuous basis. Indoor and outdoor pools, excercise gyms, etc etc.
We bought a house that has a beautifully finished basement that I've claimed half of for my GC-III.
Oh, the community is built around an 18 hole golf course. although I don't play.
After I get to know the locals and any AZ'ers that would like to spend an evening or two on my table
we'll have a get together. It'll be November when we're all set up.
Thanks for the info on the rooms.I'll check in at Shooters and Fast Eddies.

Not sure about Fast Eddies but Shooters ooens at noon and they have a senior league that plays every Tuesday I believe.

minnesota_slim

Registered
Us1

I just recently relocated from MA to CT as well. I went through all of the rooms during the relo, and US1 is definitely the most serious of the rooms. Oddly, there is a rather significant drop off in level of play, understandably, between the best player there (rather famous for being the home room of Jayson Shaw and family when they are not traveling), and the rest of the players.

Yale Billiards and Shooters are both close to me now, and are excellent rooms as well. Welcome to the area.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Mitch, welcome to Husky country! I live 1 town over from Oxford. Pool is alive & well here in the constitution state. Can't say the same for #2A, but I digress. There are some very nice rooms here and the passion for the sport is strong.

In addition to Shooter's, Fast Eddie's in New Milford is a very nice room. Ed Locke, the owner, is as nice a guy and as knowledgeable about the sport as they come, and his room reflects that. Being in CT you're also reasonably close to some of the hallowed rooms in NYC (Amsterdam, Steinway). There are other nice rooms in CT that are a little farther away. I hear great things about Yale Billiards in Wallingford.

Once you get settled in, PM me if you'd like my number. Maybe we can get together and shoot a little.

Best,

Stephen

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
A senior league sounds ideal for me. I'll stop in at Shooters and get the scoop. Thanks

there is a walk-in seniors (55+) practice 8b league at Shooters every Tues & Thurs both start at noon.

Very well run and it costs $6.50 per player and they will select (by computer averages) 2 teams and each member of Team A will play each of the opposing Team B members and at the end, whichever team comes out on top gets $5 back. Usually you will play about 10 games.

After the session you are free to hang out and practice if you'd like til about 5 or 6pm when evening league players start to show up.

There is also another of these sessions on Wed nights starting time is 7pm.

And, as I said, what's really nice is there is no obligation, just show up whenever you want, walk ins along with regulars, all welcome.

best,
brian kc

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stephen, Minnesota and KC. I'm thankful that you guys have welcomed me to the area. My community is going to be Oxford Greens. Once I get settled in...end of Sept into NO www.ontherailtv.com, Ill let yoiu guys know and hopefully we could all meet up at one time or other. I'll have my GCIII set up and ready to go. Mitch How are you Minnesota when you're from MA Anyone can call my cell 978-479 1964..... call anytime
I might even make a call out when I have to get the slates up.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nine o nine shoot me a pm when to come to ct.and we can play some i"ll show you a few rooms

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is a walk-in seniors (55+) practice 8b league at Shooters every Tues & Thurs both start at noon.

Very well run and it costs $6.50 per player and they will select (by computer averages) 2 teams and each member of Team A will play each of the opposing Team B members and at the end, whichever team comes out on top gets $5 back. Usually you will play about 10 games.

After the session you are free to hang out and practice if you'd like til about 5 or 6pm when evening league players start to show up.

There is also another of these sessions on Wed nights starting time is 7pm.

And, as I said, what's really nice is there is no obligation, just show up whenever you want, walk ins along with regulars, all welcome.

best,
brian kc

Yesterday was my first time joining the senior tournament at Shooters. I met a lot of great guys and had a good time. Many thanks to Shooters and the guys who make outsiders feel welcome.

goombavskoopa

Registered
Hey bud I live in CT and there are a few nice rooms you can look to.

Like many have said, Shooters in Southington is decent. My family acutally used to own that pool room before Sal Conti's father purchased it from my uncle.

Yale Billiards in Wallingford CT is a really nice room, great people and great enviorment. All the tables were refelted with simonis 860. All goldcrowns. Very nice.

There will be a room opening in Bristol CT called Break N Run Billiards. It's in the works currently but that is where I will be playing. I know the owner personally and he'll have goldcrowns as well with new cloth and equipment.