Color of money question

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.

Wow, that sums it up better than anything I could've written - and this is why actually both films are just plain bad.
It's just the same character and crap and degenerates all over again, it's actually very boring.
Also the "I'm the best" acting quickly gets old when it's done in ALL scenes or situations.
There is no struggle, no improvement, no learning, no actual consequences as a human being.

The best scene for me was Forest Whitaker's character in the pool hall, how and what he said. While very short the portrayal of this character was unbeliveable deep and moving. You might not agree, but you are sympathetic.

How about a spoiler alert, huh pal?

Booooh..... :angry:
First, you are a grown man, you can watch a movie with joy even if you know the ending or general plot - because that's not what a movie is about.
Second, what did you think would be written here? ;)

Cheers,
M

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Sorry, I will spend an extra 20 minutes as I flagellate today.
Please let me know if that is not sufficient.

Booooh..... :angry:
First, you are a grown man, you can watch a movie with joy even if you know the ending or general plot - because that's not what a movie is about.
Second, what did you think would be written here? ;)

Cheers,
M

It was a joke, fellas.

I don't blame you for not getting it. The level of internet stupidity out there has made subtle humor tough to recognize. I should know better by now. I think it's called "Poe's Law of the Internet".

I once read a Lincoln assassination joke on a forum somewhere, and responded with, "Too soon, man! Too soon!"

The truly funny part was reading the follow-on responses from the Mensa candidates who insisted that I was, indeed, serious.

Reactions: KRJ

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a joke, fellas.

I don't blame you for not getting it. The level of internet stupidity out there has made subtle humor tough to recognize. I should know better by now. I think it's called "Poe's Law of the Internet".

I once read a Lincoln assassination joke on a forum somewhere, and responded with, "Too soon, man! Too soon!"

The truly funny part was reading the follow-on responses from the Mensa candidates who insisted that I was, indeed, serious.

You are still wrong, and in the wrong... your post had zero subtlety and zero clue
it was in jest - only arrogance would lead to presuming we could read your mind,
or ever care to.

And YOU have the unmitigated gall to accuse others of stupidity...

FWIW - if you want the odds of your getting into Mensa before book collector, it's
25 to five on the book

Dale

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I read somewhere that TK were the real car owners initials.

On the front license plate holder are the words Heritage. There is Heritage Cadillac dealership close to Chicago.

The car was most likely borrowed from, or possibly rented from, someone at the dealership and used for the film.

Just IMO though.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
You are still wrong, and in the wrong... your post had zero subtlety and zero clue
it was in jest - only arrogance would lead to presuming we could read your mind,
or ever care to.

And YOU have the unmitigated gall to accuse others of stupidity...

FWIW - if you want the odds of your getting into Mensa before book collector, it's
25 to five on the book

Dale

You're puttin' me on. I gave credit to the people who commented for reflexively assuming I was serious, because it's the internet and it's easy to assume someone is serious. I let them in on the joke. I wasn't making it on them.

So you decide to insult me? Wow. "The Hustler" was made in 1961, and it was the "thumbs broken" line to which I was referring. That might have been ambiguous, but The Color of Money is still 30+ years old. No mind reading necessary or expected. I simply thought you'd be bright enough to get the joke. I apologize for the error. That anyone would be seriously upset with a spoiler should have been your first clue that it was a joke. Your second would have been that, as a pool player, I might have already seen the movie in the 30 to 55 or so intervening years (depending on the movie). I am neither wrong, nor in the wrong. I simply made a joke you didn't get, and which it appears you're embarrassed about not understanding. That must be my fault somehow.

(FWIW, I do qualify for Mensa. I'm more than 3 standard deviations above the mean IQ, and well above their minimum (98th percentile). Have someone explain to you what "standard deviation". I'll give you a hint: it does not refer to any sort of deviant sexual practice. To be honest, I qualify for the One-in-a-Thousand Society, and a host of other organizations with more stringent criteria than Mensa. Never saw much point in joining a group of people whose only commonality was having a high IQ.)

Have a great day.

Edit: I had assumed that pdcue was one of the people who had initially responded. Now I see he seems to be taking offense on behalf of others. Why he felt the need to weigh in and insult me is anybody's guess. This post has been updated a bit to correct that mistake.

Last edited: