8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It really does not matter, haters gonna hate. BCA SAYS YES

Just gonna put this right here:

68774641_2382682705386696_1162647419393933312_n.jpg

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime to watch it, and I grew up loving and playing straight pool daily during the great straight pool era.

Hard to believe. So, watching someone break out 44 consecutive racks without a single resulting scratch or hook holds no interest for you?
Can’t wait to fork over my dough.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There it can stay. Not making much progress convincing others, that you can only call names.

That we can almost all agree on, that we want to see the run.

Could it be possible that the content owner wants to offer a product that matches the achievement?

How about that he'd like to profit somewhat from the release, not just wear a proverbial feather in his hat?

How about both?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will pay......if it isn't to the moon on price

Any interest that I may have had...I have completely lost with this nonsense.
Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime to watch it, and I grew up loving and playing straight pool daily during the great straight pool era.
I will pay to watch it simply because it is a terrific accomplishment. (and I despise straight pool. I find it boring and out of date.)
You say, you wouldn't pay a dime to watch it.
Those options are some of what makes a constitutional capitalistic republic a wonderful society in which to live.
Democracy is served and not at the point of a gun either. :thumbup2:
Have a nice day.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to believe. So, watching someone break out 44 consecutive racks without a single resulting scratch or hook holds no interest for you?

I also do not see too many people paying to view this- maybe a few thousand worldwide at most! How much money could that possibly generate? When you think of this outside of the most die hard pool fans' mentality- I view a grown man locking himself in a room for many hours a day and months at a time to do something that does not really mean anything in terms of a COMPETITIVE sports accomplishment is more weird to me than a symbol of commitment, as some have suggested. That has been my take all along on him trying to do this- never understood the point of it. Joey Chestnut could sell more videos of himself eating 75 hot dogs than this pool video will ever sell.

I'll join some of those here with no desire to pay to see this if it is ever put up for sale. Good Luck to him, Congrats to him, but all along my biggest issue was that I never understood the whole point of it and I still don't, but that is just one guy's take on this whole thing - glad we can all agree to disagree somewhat on the meaning of this whole fiasco!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running hundreds of balls is a phenomenal feat, but I don't think it will turn out as well monetarily as some people think.

14.1 is a game that is as foreign as hieroglyphics to 95% of the people in today's pool world that I come into contact with.

I sometimes bang around at it for a little bit by myself, when I'm waiting for one of my "regulars" to show up to bang at 8, 9, or 10-ball and people will ask "what are you playing?"

When you try to explain it to them, they say they have never heard of it or seen it and they say they "like 8-ball" (which is the extent of what they know).

I don't know if the rest of the USA is the same as Hawaii, but I think you'd have to be a better marketing genius than the RONCO spray-on hair guy to get anybody over here to buy the video.

If he splices in some half-naked women and some rap/hip-hop music into the video, he may get a little bit better sales action with today's players.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also do not see too many people paying to view this- maybe a few thousand worldwide at most! How much money could that possibly generate? When you think of this outside of the most die hard pool fans' mentality- I view a grown man locking himself in a room for many hours a day and months at a time to do something that does not really mean anything in terms of a COMPETITIVE sports accomplishment is more weird to me than a symbol of commitment, as some have suggested. That has been my take all along on him trying to do this- never understood the point of it. Joey Chestnut could sell more videos of himself eating 75 hot dogs than this pool video will ever sell.

I'll join some of those here with no desire to pay to see this if it is ever put up for sale. Good Luck to him, Congrats to him, but all along my biggest issue was that I never understood the whole point of it and I still don't, but that is just one guy's take on this whole thing - glad we can all agree to disagree somewhat on the meaning of this whole fiasco!

Personally speaking, I will pay up to $100 for a DVD of it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Obviously you've never been passionate about anything.

For that, I am truly sorry.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
jimmyg: While John certainly accomplished an amazing feat, one that every serious pool player can appreciate and admire, unfortunately it was done in an era quite different than the time when Willie ran his 526. Willie was a household name in his time and pool was enjoying an amazing national boom, one likely never to be repeated. He made guest appearances on TV, was in the box office hit, The Hustler", and was constantly written up in the major newspapers and sports magazines, he was actually a "star". Times are different and probably no one other than a real pool player knows John's name.

Only a diehard straight pool player, of which there aren't many, would enjoy and appreciate watching his complete run, let alone all of his failed attempts.

While most of us wish him the best, both personally and professionally, in all honesty his structured accomplishment, while profoundly astounding, to many, still pales that of Willie's.

Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Any interest that I may have had...I have completely lost with this nonsense.

DynoDan Quote: Hard to believe. So, watching someone break out 44 consecutive racks without a single resulting scratch or hook holds no interest for you?

I will pay to watch it simply because it is a terrific accomplishment. (and I despise straight pool. I find it boring and out of date.)
You say, you wouldn't pay a dime to watch it.
Those options are some of what makes a constitutional capitalistic republic a wonderful society in which to live.
Democracy is served and not at the point of a gun either. :thumbup2:
Have a nice day.

True, we are all free, taxes and monopolies excepted, to spend our disposable income as we wish, just as John has a right to market, sell, and profit from his skill and hard work in any manner he sees fit ....But that wasn't really my point, and I believe that you already knew that.

I've previously acknowledged and congratulated JS on his terrific achievement, although I fell short of accepting and labeling it as "breaking WM's record", I don't believe that he did break Willie's record, I believe that John just set a different type of high run record. Difference being John's accomplishment was an orchestrated, multi month, concentrated focus on breaking someone's else's record done under very different conditions and terms.

The reason that I stated that I wouldn't pay a dime to watch John's run wasn't because it wasn't a great accomplishment and wouldn't be interesting to watch, but because of other, very different reasons.

Again, John certainly has the right to exhibit, market, sell, and profit from his video, providing, of course, that he took the proper legal steps to acquire the rights to do so, as he pleases, which, considering the time lapse, appears possibly in question. Perhaps John ought to have prepared for the business end of his endeavor more carefully, but that's his concern. Mine is from the fan's and hobbyist's point of view. Can anyone imagine a professional sports person of any sport claiming to have broken, let's say, Babe Ruth's or Wilt Chamberlain's record without anyone seeing a tape of it months later? Better still, the feat likely would had been done during an official game and, although protected by copyright, would have been available live and then gone viral almost immediately via every medium available. Not so John's.

Perhaps John figures that his tape will generate untold amounts of revenue and he is trying to prevent even a single copy from being viewed without his just due...who knows? Personally, I don't believe that more than a few hundred copies can/will be legitimately sold to fans, of course I could be very wrong. I do know that regardless of what extreme cautions are taken, people will find ways to view and get copies without John's knowledge.

I see this more and more as a PR disaster, and, as far as I am concerned, has done a lot less good for John and pool than it could and should have. Rant over.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously you've never been passionate about anything.

For that, I am truly sorry.

Really? Really? Very intelligent deduction! maybe I just don't find the NEED to expose my passions to the world in a way that makes me look superior to others who have come before me! Ever think of THAT my friend! As I said - it is a good place for ALL of us to agree to disagree - I may think it is odd why he chose to do what he did- but I respect it- You should show a little more respect too my friend and NOT get too carried away in your responses as to become so personal.Making that type of accusation about someone is not a very nice way to behave, now is it?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? Really? Very intelligent deduction! maybe I just don't find the NEED to expose my passions to the world in a way that makes me look superior to others who have come before me! Ever think of THAT my friend! As I said - it is a good place for ALL of us to agree to disagree - I may think it is odd why he chose to do what he did- but I respect it- You should show a little more respect too my friend and NOT get too carried away in your responses as to become so personal.Making that type of accusation about someone is not a very nice way to behave, now is it?

Sorry that your hero's record was broken.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry that your hero's record was broken.

Really NOT concerned about the high run record- AND Willie Mosconi never really cared about it either- he was ASKED to continue that run!!!! Moscow's legacy has nothing to do with the run compared to his COMPETITIVE accomplishments- maybe he could have done a1000- I don't know and neither does anyone else because NOBODY really cared about it! So NOW all of a sudden because JS locks himself up in a room for months at a time the world is supposed to crown a new king???

Are you seriously thinking that this actually matters in terms of rating Mosconi vs. Schmidt-

NO, I KNOW you are not doing that- RIGHT?

By the way- my hero is MY DAD! He never ran 10 balls in his life.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree, a different record

While the BCA accepts this as an exhibition run it blatantly wasn't. The pool hall was closed for most of this run. Rightly or wrongly the video will validate the run but then it is the high run in practice that has video evidence. That "practice" part is a bit awkward, at least three people are said to have had higher runs in practice than Willie's official exhibition run and nobody has paid much attention to these practice runs.

If there is to be any interest in john's run it has to be an exhibition run that nobody watched. Yep, that is a bit peculiar and odd! I bought john's very first video, the 247 run. I can't imagine another video of him practicing to be much more interesting and I don't see a mass produced video being a part of history. I would prefer putting my cash down on an instructional tape or a really good match from accu-stats.

I wish john luck trying to make a buck off of this, I think it will be hard to do.

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the number of balls run out of the equation.

Now.

Do you think the equipment (table, pocket sizes, rails, cloth, balls, cues, chalk, etc., etc.) and conditions (crowd vs no crowd, multiple attempts in practice vs one attempt after an exhibition) were more favorable for a high-count run in John's circumstances or in Willie's circumstances?

I consider both runs as feats that only a few people in the world could ever achieve, but I don't consider them "equal", since they weren't played with the same type of equipment and under different sets of scenarios.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the number of balls run out of the equation.

Now.

Do you think the equipment (table, pocket sizes, rails, cloth, balls, cues, chalk, etc., etc.) and conditions (crowd vs no crowd, multiple attempts in practice vs one attempt after an exhibition) were more favorable for a high-count run in John's circumstances or in Willie's circumstances?

I consider both runs as feats that only a few people in the world could ever achieve, but I don't consider them "equal", since they weren't played with the same type of equipment and under different sets of scenarios.

You're right, they aren't equal.

626 > 526