Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone told me they were not the right thing

I got talked out of doing this on the last 10 tables i bought.

You might think I was only buying to sell tables,but I kept hoping I
would enjoy playing at home.

I finally stuck to my guns and I couldn't be happier,pool is fun again.

I actually enjoy playing,my game is getting better, when
friends or neighbors come over they have fun too

John Schmidt ran 626 on something like this,it allows a person to cheat the pocket and still stroke with confidence,

If you are considering buying a home table and want to actually enjoy yourself,think about getting an older Brunswick Gold Crown,Centennial or Anniversary with pockets cut to the original standardsThe table accepts shots the way it should.

Don't be sucked into what the tight pocket groupies tell you,your game will improve and so will your fun,stroke and enjoyment

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with you, I’ve always told this to my friends that pool is not snooker, and the harder the pockets are doesn’t mean a better game, I don’t know what’s up with this new era where the hype now a days is about tight pockets.

Pool should always be played on normal sized pockets the same that we saw in the 80s,
It is a runout game, let’s be honest, the pool world attracted the most in the 80s and 90s, people knew what’s up.

The game is better watchable by those large pockets, it has always been a runout game, plus even with tight pockets pros are running out because of the new conditions of table and balls, they still hit the call wrong and it goes in because of conditions so why not just make large pockets the same as the 80s and lets watch real pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If you are so happy with the Centennial, then why are you already trying to sell it? I also have a few questions about it: Who restored it? Why are the legs both different stain colors and most importantly why are the rails different color than either of the legs??

Tight pockets are a progression of the game. Things change over time as you know. The pro cut pocket is what many league players play on and obviously the pro's do to.

I am not a good player, but, I love to play and practice with players that are far better than I am. I actually dislike 5" pockets very much. Any solid B+ or any range of A player can make things happen on a table with such pockets, that simply just should not go in... Happy to hear you enjoy shooting on buckets, we all know it is not a great challenge:)

Just my $0.02...

Trent from Toledo

I got talked out of doing this on the last 10 tables i bought.

You might think I was only buying to sell tables,but I kept hoping I
would enjoy playing at home.

I finally stuck to my guns and I couldn't be happier,pool is fun again.

I actually enjoy playing,my game is getting better, on the rare occasion that
friends or neighbors come over they have fun too

John Schmidt ran 626 on something like this,it allows a person to cheat the pocket and still stroke with confidence,

If you are considering buying a home table and want to actually enjoy yourself,think about getting an older Brunswick Gold Crown,Centennial or anniversary with pockets cut to the original standards

The table accepts shots the way it should.

Don't be sucked into what the tight pocket groupies tell you,your game will improve and so will your fun,stroke and enjoyment

I have found that people that spend time thinking they will improve a lot are kidding themselves and wasting time.Good players usually get to a top speed right away or never do, and even then I am not sure that they are the lucky ones

People that make something working hard at education and careers are the real smart people,i always felt sorry for those that can not wait to get away from family and careers so they could work hard and apply themselves to a game

I know a fella who started gambling as a kid,he loved it,he won perhaps millions of dollars,seldom losing and never great big.This fella also did well at business and made good there too.

He had children and grandchildren,he put through college and bought them cars and houses,he never allowed a single one to gamble or attend pool rooms,he saw the
folly of the life he had enjoyed.

Looking back,a wanna be pool player (the lowest form of gambler,less profitable.less prestige.low rent) asked him for advice,not expecting to be told the truth.

Pool is in the gambling world to cards or golf what a stick up man of service stations is to the high dollar jewel thief. Granted the old man made some pool scores,they were chicken feed compared to his golf or poker wins. And those wins were nothing compared to what a really dedicated working man could be

You find very few gambler millionaires and no billionaires.

He replied "well look at you ,it worked out pretty good for you"

The old mam said"it may look that way to you,but I can not help but think how much more I could have done if I had not had this mistress (meaning second love

I am sure there are a few guys on here that will call this foolish,but if only those with their houses free and clear,their children in college and wives happy were to reply,
I doubt we would have so much disagreement

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Tight pockets are a progression of the game. Things change over time as you know. The pro cut pocket is what many league players play on and obviously the pro's do to.

I actually dislike 5" pockets very much. Happy to hear you enjoy shooting on buckets, we all know it is not a great challenge:)

Just my $0.02...

Trent from Toledo

We need to go to 4” pockets!

You can only go so small as the next “progression” comes along.
You might as well start playing Asian 8 Ball or English Black Ball.
What’s next?
Place obstacles in the way?
How about posts with bumpers placed statically on the table to bounce off of and make a ball?
Where do you “progress” from here?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
We need to go to 4” pockets!

You can only go so small as the next “progression” comes along.
You might as well start playing Asian 8 Ball or English Black Ball.
What’s next?
Place obstacles in the way?
How about posts with bumpers placed statically on the table to bounce off of and make a ball?
Where do you “progress” from here?

The only people who enjoy watching "run out pool" are pool players. :) Its just my opinion. I like tighter pockets. No need to explain anymore than I already did. No need to argue:)

Obstacles would not be a big deal, we have JUMP CUES.<<<<-- Disclaimer, I am not trying to start another jump cue thread here I PROMISE!!

Trent

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
If you are so happy with the Centennial, then why are you already trying to sell it? I also have a few questions about it: Who restored it? Why are the legs both different stain colors and most importantly why are the rails different color than either of the legs??

I am not a good player, but, I love to play and practice with players that are far better than I am. I actually dislike 5" pockets very much. Any solid B+ or any range of A player can make things happen on a table with such pockets, that simply just should not go in... Happy to hear you enjoy shooting on buckets, we all know it is not a great challenge:)

Just my $0.02...

Trent from Toledo

Wow is all I can say!
download.jpg

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC4 myself with those 5" pockets. While some believe tighter pockets are progressing the game, I beg to differ. As a geezer in his seventh decade, cataracts in the eyes and arthritis in the hands, buckets make my day. In fact I would also like a 6.5 foot Valley with those buckets to help when I'm really old.

Such is the reality of a long life.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I guess big pockets helps your position play. Really need to be aware of where whitey will end up.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I don't have issue with anyone using what size pockets they want. Your table, your game.

I do feel the pros should stay with the tighter pockets.

Those who reminisce about pockets from the 80's are you also going to put that slow arse cloth on it too?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For most rooms tight pockets are a business killer. Have a couple for the better players but make the rest at least 4.5 if not bigger. The front two tables(GC 4's) where i play are around 4.25". All the time i see people who are bangers at best get on them and literally NOT make a ball for almost 20minutes. They get mad and bail. I try to tell the house guy to steer people to the bigger pockets(GC 4's w/4.5" still tough) or the Diamond bb's(league-cut) but they don't do it. Real smart when you're trying to generate business.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
For most rooms tight pockets are a business killer. Have a couple for the better players but make the rest at least 4.5 if not bigger. The front two tables(GC 4's) where i play are around 4.25". All the time i see people who are bangers at best get on them and literally NOT make a ball for almost 20minutes. They get mad and bail. I try to tell the house guy to steer people to the bigger pockets(GC 4's w/4.5" still tough) or the Diamond bb's(league-cut) but they don't do it. Real smart when you're trying to generate business.

To be clear, 4.5" corners at 141 degrees and 5" sides at 102 degrees is Pro cut.

Trent

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be clear, 4.5" sides at 141 degrees and 5" sides at 102 degrees is Pro cut.

Trent
I understand. My point is that in most commercial settings tables 4.5" and smaller are too tough for your regular recreational crowd. They want to have fun and see balls go in. That's what brings them back. Have a couple snug ones for the better players and have the rest a tad more generous. Pool business is tough enough as it is.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member

Dean it is no different than moving up a tee box.
Everyone will have to do it eventually. If they’re lucky.
There will always be people who criticize and down grade.
They’ve lost the plot; do whatever it takes to continue enjoying it

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see no problem with it in a 9’ table. On a bar box, 5” pockets is like playing basketball on a 9’ hoop...everybody is dunking all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I agree with the "should not go in" part. That assumes that the tighter pockets are what everyone "should be playing". If you are better than another player on a table with tighter pockets, you should be better than that same player on a table with wider pockets. I guess I don't see the possibility that the weaker player may make a "lucky" shot or two is really the reason for tighter pockets - same margin for error for the better player - that's just what the table allows.

If pro players and the average recreational player are really that much better than years gone by, by all means challenge them if that is what they are looking for.

I have an old Anniversary, I'm sure the pockets may be "easy" by what appear to be more modern standards, but I agree with deanoc (luckily I've just had the one table, lol) - I enjoy playing on it and apparently it allows some different options for shots that simply make it different, not better or worse.

Play on whatever you enjoy playing on and accept that the game on whatever table you are playing on is the game you adapt to, IMO.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always advocated for the old ''standard' pocket sizes- if I recall I once had a BCA handbook in the 80s that stated corner pockets were to be 4 7/8 to 5 1/8. My first home table had 4 1/2 pockets and I never liked it! I was warned by a great player back then that small pockets will tighten up your stroke and can really damage your game as a beginner. MY last table was a GC4- I think the pockets were 4 3/4 to 4 7/8. I really enjoyed that table so much!
Has professional golf reduced the size of the golf hole? Not to my knowledge - even when Tiger was killing it on the tour! I love 14.1 and unless you are a top/ top pro- it is a useless game on 4 1/2 with long pocket shelves in my opinion- it just was not a game designed for that size pocket- unless you enjoy runs of teens to low twenties 90% of the time and five hour games to 150 points.
Nine ball on the larger pockets was not supposed to be a game of "ball in hand" - that was created for TV. So were break cues/ jump cues/ wild 9 ball wins etc. etc.. tighten up the rules/ not the pockets!