Which Pro Event would?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
In some pro sports there are all-star games or pro-bowl games where the most decorated athletes put on an exhibition. The exhibition is not competitive but more focused on the low percentage shots or fun shots.

Is there a pro event where pros just shoot around playing low percentages shots for a charity or exhibition purposes?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In some pro sports there are all-star games or pro-bowl games where the most decorated athletes put on an exhibition. The exhibition is not competitive but more focused on the low percentage shots or fun shots.

Is there a pro event where pros just shoot around playing low percentages shots for a charity or exhibition purposes?

For regular pool I don't think there is a main tournament like that. The only thing I can think of is the bank pool ring game at Derby City but that is a side event. Our Artistic Pool playoff format is similar to what you are talking about with one of our side events being exactly like that.

justnum

Silver Member
For regular pool I don't think there is a main tournament like that. The only thing I can think of is the bank pool ring game at Derby City but that is a side event. Our Artistic Pool playoff format is similar to what you are talking about with one of our side events being exactly like that.

I looked up artistic pool, its not exactly what I had in mind.

I am talking about the shots on billiard match highlight reels.

The three ball combo, the two rail kick, the masse, the shots top pros make in high profile matches for an 8ball, 9ball or 10ball match.

As a spectator I feel like, they made it that one time, but was it luck or could they make that exact same shot with a fairly high percentage most of the time.

I like watching those shots in highlight videos. I think it is exciting because of the low percentage nature of the shot. Artistic pool is exciting but it doesn't translate back to competition billiards for the major tournaments.

justnum

Silver Member
In terms of difficulty how would you rate

1-rail kick
1-rail kick with a combo before rail
1-rail kick with a combo after rail

sometimes the balls just line up straight but is there a specific rating system for shot difficulty?

Fargorate has been amazing, but in terms of table interpretation it leaves a lot to the imagination.

Having a shot difficulty rating may make it more clear as to which shots D players should not go for, but a B or A has a more reasonable chance to pocket it?

Basically a shot difficulty rating to help new players know when to play it safe and when to go for it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not that i've ever heard of.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Many years ago there was an ESPN 3-C event with Mike Massey, Semih Sayginer and Eric Yow. The shots were fancy stroke shots. There may be a video on YouTube of it. Here is a related thread:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?60433&p=691873#post691873