Black marks on pool balls....arghhhhhhh

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
could someone tell me what causes the black dots on my pool balls?????

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it is a Diamond, here is what I did. I took some Black cloth and double face tape and taped it to the back of the pockets. Works great and has been about a year in April, so far so good.
I could not believe how bad it was before that.
Mark

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think it has been a good 5 years or more that Diamond has had the black mark problem with there pockets. Even a 14 year old kid could figure out what the problem is by now. Me thinks they know the pockets can't be fixed, but they bought so many of them at a cheap price its hard to dump them and get something that works. Diamond does a lot for pool, but that don't give them a pass on not standing behind their product. Johnnyt

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
could someone tell me what causes the black dots on my pool balls?????

I think you should tell us what kind of table and pockets you have.

The after-market knock-off Gold Crown pockets leave the worst marks, imo.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bad build

I have had problems with marks and chips in the balls on a Olhausan that I practice on. I find that when the tables are redone by someone that does not pay close attention the nails come out of the pockets and chip the balls, also adds to the marking problem

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think it has been a good 5 years or more that Diamond has had the black mark problem with there pockets. Even a 14 year old kid could figure out what the problem is by now. Me thinks they know the pockets can't be fixed, but they bought so many of them at a cheap price its hard to dump them and get something that works. Diamond does a lot for pool, but that don't give them a pass on not standing behind their product. Johnnyt

Sorry, but wrong answer...Diamond has new pockets that don't leave any marks at all....and guess what, they're made in China....imagine that;)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sorry, but wrong answer...Diamond has new pockets that don't leave any marks at all....and guess what, they're made in China....imagine that;)

What poolrooms have the tables with new pockets and when did they get them? I hope there is no charge for getting the new ones on all the tables that have the pockets that mark. Johnnyt

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a gc4 that leaves marks sometimes, not often though.

Still bugs me, I presume I have oem pockets, any way to tell if they are not brunswick's ones?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What poolrooms have the tables with new pockets and when did they get them? I hope there is no charge for getting the new ones on all the tables that have the pockets that mark. Johnnyt

Don't have a clue, none of my business to know, and sure...Diamond is going to start replacing pocket liners at no charge....because I heard Ford is going to start letting people drive in with their 2010 Mustangs and replace them with 2014's at no charge, and I heard Brunswick is going to replace ALL the Brunstone playing surfaces they sold with all the GC1's 2's and 3's....for free with REAL slates because the Brunstone playing surfaces were so swayback to begin with;)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Don't have a clue, none of my business to know, and sure...Diamond is going to start replacing pocket liners at no charge....because I heard Ford is going to start letting people drive in with their 2010 Mustangs and replace them with 2014's at no charge, and I heard Brunswick is going to replace ALL the Brunstone playing surfaces they sold with all the GC1's 2's and 3's....for free with REAL slates because the Brunstone playing surfaces were so swayback to begin with;)

How did you know I had a Mustang? Johnnyt

MikeMaaen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Diamond Pro Am and the black marks left on the balls is a real pain. If Diamond has corrected this problem they should at least make a replacement set of pockets available at a discount (a steep discount) to those of us who already invested in a Diamond. I think RKC's comment is a bit out of context in that no one is trying to trade in a older mustang for a new one here. Only asking for some consideration in getting a problem fixed that Diamond knew about all along...yet never told folks about the marking until they already purchased the table and then made the discovery on thier own. I had diamond mechanics at my home last week and neither of them made any comment about newer non-marking pockets. No asking for a new table, just some warrantee work at minimal cost to the owner. Just my 2cents worth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Availability is the main subject here, working on resolving a problem and being able to supply demand is two different subjects. Brunswicks GC4 drop pockets are the best pockets they've ever made, but Brunswick is not going to supply them to every older GC owner at wholesale cost just to resolve the plastic left on a players shaft from useing the pocket as a bridge.....its called improvements over time, not go back in time and upgrade or modify everything already built and sold in the past. I hace customers that have red lable Diamonds 10 years old that want the blue lable rails now, and feel Diamond should replace the rails at cost....because Diamond made a change in their rails.....so what, changes take place, just not always before someone buys a pool table.

MikeMaaen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respectfully disagree. The pockets tendancy to mark balls was a "defect" not a designed feature. I had a Ford Explorer with a "defect" in the Firestone tires. Ford replaced the tires on all Explorers to insure the "defective part" was properly dealt with. This is common when a manufacturer replaces, repairs or otherwise makes whole the buyer for defectts in manufacturing. It seems to me this is more of a warrantee type issue that Diamond should deal with now that they have pockets that don't any longer have the defect of making the balls. Perhaps when they introduced the "blue lable" that would suggest a new model and the "red lable" tables would not be eligable for resolution however, I don't know if red lables mark balls like the blue labels do. Of course they could intoduce a "gold lable" with the new pockets and avoid dealing with the problem by making the blue label ineligable.

Charlie D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Diamond Pro Am red , bought new. The only complaint is the black marks left on the balls. I find it does agravate me. I did purchase the Diamond ball cleaner. Does a great job, but will not remove the black marks. If non marking pockets were offered I would seriously consider a change. I currently used hand santitizor then polish the balls. Charlie D

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I also have a Diamond that leaves marks on balls. Before the Diamond I had a Olhausen and it also left brown marks from the dye on the leather pockets. This may not be what you want to do but it helps a lot. I took a clean rag and bought a quart of denatured alcohol and started removing dye from the leather by rubbing hard and rotating the rag often. At first the dye seems like it will never stop leaving the rag black but after awhile you win. The inside of my pockets are still plenty dark, if you look close enough you can tell that I removed some of the dye but its hard to see because of the way the leading edge of the pocket extends. It takes awhile and a little elbow grease but you will get enough dye off that you will hardly get the marks on the balls any more. You may even have to do it a second time but it is much faster on number 2. I have been meaning to post this for awhile and will get to it soon. I have done this on 2 tables now and have seen no ill effects on the leather. I hope this helps. Jim.