Taom tip review

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
And what kind of PSI can one expect from the average break shot?
You don't give anything to compare it to. Just because they shatter at 750 doesn't mean squat if the average player will only put the tip through something like 500PSI. Your posts are vague and leave too many questions unanswered. It sounds to me like you're just trying to smear a product more popular than your own.

Good try but you really don't know anything about me if you think that is the case.. I have no issue with products being more popular... I have posted in favor of most of the premium chalks on the market and have even stated once you move to premium chalks the differences will be personal... I have recommended the G2 layered tips to anyone who wants a layered tip... I blasted Dr Dave over his review of the On Target tips from here on AZ when I thought the test was not proper when only conducted at high speed even tho they are a competing tip...

If I say something I have to be able to back it up... I am not just some anon poster here on AZ.. I see people at the tournaments and I have to answer for any claim I have made... That's just how it is....

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
89081b98df405b52010d34b9ca171276.jpg

The line in the picture is a stress fracture...

This one was on Doug Sandidge's cue it was put on by Mark Rosner... Both are on facebook...

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really strange, I have installed quite a few Taoms and not seen any of those problems.
Neither has any one else who sells/installs Taom in my area.
Not trying to blame the repair guy, but has all these tips been installed by the same guy?
If so could it be a problem with the batch he got or the glue or something else?
The web isn`t full of Taom horror stories as you refer to, the pictures you have posted are actually the first time i`ve seen this, thats why I`m asking.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I actually have talked to 2 other installers over the phone who have had them pop and according to a mutual friend Shaw popped one in a match last week.. So I don't think it's the local guy

There may be a difference in colors as far as uniformity... That part I don't know and may be why you haven't seen it depedning on what colors you have been installing on the majority of cues. Usually QC on plastics is pretty tight and batches are pretty large but it could have been a batch issue.. So far it's been the yellow and orange those were the first ones everyone wanted... I have red and blue I can test... Color shouldn't matter but I can't say that 100%

I know the first few batches of the icebreker people were blowing the sides out on them but they apparently got that corrected because they are still around...

I also know that they are supposed to be releasing another version which may be completely fine...

I would just keep an eye on them if you have one and if you see any evidence of stress get them off before they fail. If you have a good light on your camera you can stick it to the face of the tip and it shoud luminesce enough for inspection and piece of mind.....

Chris

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Taom is great. The guy making them seems dedicated. I had a good talk with Mika this weekend and he likes them. If it's good enough for Ko Pin Yi and Mika it's good enough for me. The elasticity in the 2.0 is really nice.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The Taom is great. The guy making them seems dedicated. I had a good talk with Mika this weekend and he likes them. If it's good enough for Ko Pin Yi and Mika it's good enough for me. The elasticity in the 2.0 is really nice.

Don't have a clue who is making them and I am sure Mika and Ko love them.. They got a patch and a bag of 250 tips that they are selling for $25 a pop... I doubt they have any clue about anything about them other than what they were told when they were handed them and how much they can get out of them.....

The 2.0 may be a good tip, I have not seen one, but when the 1.0 fails critically at 750 pounds of pressure all I can tell you is that material was NEVER meant to be on the end of a pool cue.... As soon as I get a v2.0 I'll do the test on video and we can see if it has the same prolems.... Can test the elasticity and even tell you what that reading is if it actually lives thru the pressure test......

How you likeing the Cuetec? Surely that's your goto Cue since it's good enough for Shane.....

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't have a clue who is making them and I am sure Mika and Ko love them.. They got a patch and a bag of 250 tips that they are selling for $25 a pop... I doubt they have any clue about anything about them other than what they were told when they were handed them and how much they can get out of them.....

The 2.0 may be a good tip, I have not seen one, but when the 1.0 fails critically at 750 pounds of pressure all I can tell you is that material was NEVER meant to be on the end of a pool cue.... As soon as I get a v2.0 I'll do the test on video and we can see if it has the same prolems.... Can test the elasticity and even tell you what that reading is if it actually lives thru the pressure test......

How you likeing the Cuetec? Surely that's your goto Cue since it's good enough for Shane.....

I actually play with a Mezz and I also have a Judd. First time I saw Efren he used one and I knew I'd buy one of Judds cues someday. I don't have to tell you I'm a pool player of low rank, but that does not make me stupid.

The Taom team has done a good job using some pro's and social media to market their product. Mika knows more about the product than you think, don't need to get in to that.

I'm not getting in to a pissing contest with you but I'd be well interested in sering some numbers on how many more chalks and tips you sell by talking crap about other people who try to improve the beautiful game played by ugly people.

Good luck with your tips, if you want a review send one to me and I'll get back to you.

/Robert Rowe

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see one of these in person. I do know that one of the top players at our hall told me that one shattered, but the person totally miscued badly on he break. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but makes sen I suppose as you would not be hitting the tip square but rather a hard glancing blow across the edge?

Anyway, all second hand info to me, but thought it interesting.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a taom myself and installed it on a spare shaft I have for my breaker. It was a task to get on and flush with the ferrule by hand, but it went. Not the prettiest tip job I've ever done, works for me though (I'm no professional by any means.)

I've only had time to play about 5 racks since it went on and I've had no trouble since. With the break speed app I'm getting noticeably faster breaks compared to the white diamond tip that was on the cue previously. I want to get another and have it put on the right way on my bk3 and get some free time to do more than just a few breaks.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I purchased a taom myself and installed it on a spare shaft I have for my breaker. It was a task to get on and flush with the ferrule by hand, but it went. Not the prettiest tip job I've ever done, works for me though (I'm no professional by any means.)

I've only had time to play about 5 racks since it went on and I've had no trouble since. With the break speed app I'm getting noticeably faster breaks compared to the white diamond tip that was on the cue previously. I want to get another and have it put on the right way on my bk3 and get some free time to do more than just a few breaks.

Talked to Shaw at the expo and the v2.0 is a brand new material... Not tested it so for now will take their word that the problem is fixed... Go crush em =D

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In a previous post you object to someone calling you out for smearing a competitors product and the IN THE VERY SAME THREAD you insinuate that the pros promoting the products don't know anything about them and are only doing it for the pay day. Dude, quit projecting your crap on others! You obviously have bias on this subject, which is fine if you are honest about it. So, either own it or keep it to yourself because it's obvious to everyone here that it is the case.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taom Tip shattered!!

Just had my Taom tip installed and on my second break the Taom shattered. My opponent was hit by the shrapnel/shards. The break shaft had a new Samsara break tip on it but I was anxious to try the new gimmick tip so I cut off the Samsara. I'll continue using my other break shaft with a good old White Diamond tip.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
In a previous post you object to someone calling you out for smearing a competitors product and the IN THE VERY SAME THREAD you insinuate that the pros promoting the products don't know anything about them and are only doing it for the pay day. Dude, quit projecting your crap on others! You obviously have bias on this subject, which is fine if you are honest about it. So, either own it or keep it to yourself because it's obvious to everyone here that it is the case.

The pros play pool... No they have no idea the differences in thermoset plastics.. Thermoplastics or Plastics in general... Nor do you if I were to hazard a guess because if you did you would understand.... I do not expect pro players to be materials engineers... They were likely told they had been tested and were great... bzzzt they were not and they were not....

MalibuMike

Banned
Where can I buy a Taom break tip?

I know a few opponents that I would love to shoot "Shards" into!
"Billy you'll put your eye out with that Break Tip!"

Look Ma' No Head!~ The Cramps
MM

MalibuMike

Banned
Hey Refro! Where can I buy one of these Taom Tips?

I'm no materials engineer, I’m an Aerospace Engineer but I’d bet my MIT diploma, that the
Delta vectors ascribed to in the aforementioned thermoset plasticizes gradients (TPG) could be ascribed to the percentile of this new thermoplastics stated at this juncture as “Mika”, obviously a derivative of Formica® Laminate along with a composite such as “Orcollo” with wafer-thin slices of Naugahyde® (an expanded polyvinyl chloride plastic composite).
I’m afraid the Refro gentleman from Utsville may have suffered a blow on the noggin from a bag of 250 Taom tips, by jumping to the conclusion that just because a 1.0 fails “critically” (not sure how to quantify a “critical” failure mode.) and then fails to identify exactly which end of the billiard cue that it was never meant to be attached too, simply because anomalies where observed at 750 Lbs or ( or 340.194277 Kilogram’s) How was this pressure applied? Pressure is usually expressed as a force per unit area. Yet no area specs are entered into the equation. Based on the original Torricelli barometer design, one atmosphere of pressure will force the column of mercury (Hg) in a mercury barometer to a height of 760 millimeters. A pressure that causes the Hg column to rise 1 millimeter is called a torr (you may still see the term 1 mm Hg used; this has been replaced by the torr. "mm Hg" is commonly used for tip hardness identification pressure measurements). Yet a Kamui Medium is sufficiently harder than a Tiger Medium (Onyx). My supposition is the process for measurement is wide of the mark, a simple deflection versus load applied calculation should suffice, using a dial indicator and a pressure gauge which shape is the exact radius of a cue-ball. I’m looking forward to your 750 Lbs crush test video, maybe for fun you can do a watermelon or a can of Ham as well, like David Letterman used to do in the 80’s! Perhaps for the 2.0 model you can freeze a Taom Tip to 199.816667 Kelvin (That’s -100°F folks) , and then drop it into a pot of water with a temperature of 210°F, that being the Elevations range from just over 800 feet (240 m) along the riverfront to just over 1,000 feet (300 m) on various hilltops in West Knoxville, with the downtown area resting at just over 900 feet (270 m) where Mr. Utsville and his band of single layered boys are from. But my guess is he is really closer to Maryville, just by studying his syntax.
Someone please send me a Taom Tip before my head implodes!

MalibuMike

Banned
ummm

I have to ask, did anyone at MIT try to teach you how to hit the Enter key once in a while to break into paragraphs?

;)

We had bigger fish to fry, and let me see, I'm keen to guess you're an English Major in the liberal arts with a minor in Gender Studies at the local Community College? Love to chat but I have ICBM's to design!
God and Commerce,
MM:boring2:
558768_10151484528173463_391317326_n.jpg

OXOXOXOX

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
We had bigger fish to fry, and let me see, I'm keen to guess you're an English Major in the liberal arts with a minor in Gender Studies at the local Community College? Love to chat but I have ICBM's to design!

God and Commerce,

MM:boring2:
558768_10151484528173463_391317326_n.jpg

OXOXOXOX

Touché sir, touché

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other reviews on the Taom as a jump tip?

Thoughts Renfro?

Colin

Jumping with Taom is almost too easy. Unless the balls are very close together, I dont bother screwing together my jump cue, I jump with my break cue.
The cool thing with Taom is that you can jump using minimal elevation, and thus drawing the CB after the jump if needed :)
Sorry for the video quality, but heres a break with Taom tip:
http://vid958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/kimbye/brekk10.mp4

Last edited: