Lowest deflection shaft

Johnboy73

Johnboy
If someone was gonna buy a LD shaft purely on the lowest deflection and not what feels the best, what one would you buy at 12.5 mm or bigger? The lowest deflection # is only parameter that matters!

Thanks a lot

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
No its really not

If someone was gonna buy a LD shaft purely on the lowest deflection and not what feels the best, what one would you buy at 12.5 mm or bigger? The lowest deflection # is only parameter that matters!

Thanks a lot

Its really not, sorry its how you play with it, if it hits like an iron pipe it wont help you gain much in my opinion.

Johnboy73

Johnboy
Its really not, sorry its how you play with it, if it hits like an iron pipe it wont help you gain much in my opinion.

I know that isn't the only thing that matters. I'm just asking what people think is the lowest deflecting shaft? What one would you buy "IF" that was the only consideration? 12.5 mm or bigger

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that isn't the only thing that matters. I'm just asking what people think is the lowest deflecting shaft? What one would you buy "IF" that was the only consideration? 12.5 mm or bigger

There is no correct answer to that. You'd have to try them yourself. I use a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft that is 13.2mm and it is what I'd consider LD compared to some other shafts that are smaller in diameter at the tip.

For ME, I'd always buy something that is NO LESS than 12.5mm.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no correct answer to that. You'd have to try them yourself. I use a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft that is 13.2mm and it is what I'd consider LD compared to some other shafts that are smaller in diameter at the tip.

I would disagree. Deflection can be measured and so the question can be answered. Not sure enough testing has been done to know, but I think the Predator Vantage might be the answer. Not a shaft I'd want as its way too fat for me (I like 12mm), but it's supposed to be very low deflection even compared to the Z shafts.

Johnboy73

Johnboy

I like 'em 12.5 or larger too. I would think under testing (robot or whatever method), one shaft has to be the lowest. I guess there could be a tie. What would you buy "if" that was the only consideration?

Johnboy73

Johnboy
I would disagree. Deflection can be measured and so the question can be answered. Not sure enough testing has been done to know, but I think the Predator Vantage might be the answer. Not a shaft I'd want as its way too fat for me (I like 12mm), but it's supposed to be very low deflection even compared to the Z shafts.

Thank you for the input

Johnboy73

Johnboy
I've heard Meucci Pro is the lowest for a fatter shaft, but I have never shot with one. I don't have anywhere to try a bunch of LD shaft at 12.5 mm or bigger.

Is the 314-2 or 3 still the lowest? Or is it Mezz's HP 2? Vantage?

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a 314/2 with a hard kamui brown tip. AND the shaft diameter at around 12.25 to 12.3. And I'm telling u. It has about just as much of low deflection as the z2. But the shaft is thicker. But when u want some real inside English for long thin cut shots. It can do that to. Shaft amd diameter and tip is Really a great combo.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is why I said, "You'd have to try them yourself."

I have tried lots of LD shafts and some seem to be more or less LD than others. Even some of the bigger ones seemed to be more LD than some of the lesser ones...and vice versa.

Just because they are advertised as LD doesn't mean they really are. I have two old solid maple shafts that are over 40 years old that are about 12.5mm that deflect less than a new Predator 314-2, in my opinion (with me doing the shooting).

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Thanks a lot

There have been some published test numbers, but it's been awhile. Probably a Predator 314 is as low as anything over 12.5 mm.

Under 12.5 mm, Predator Z is the lowest I've encountered, with the Tiger Pro X not far behind. These both have 11.75 mm tips. Seems it's easier to build a thin very low squirt shaft than a thick one, because there is less mass at the end of the cue. The Platinum tests were in line with various other tests, but this was by no means conclusive.

Here's some heavy reading on the subject:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#data

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had tried all the available ones 10 years ago. IMO, the predator line was by far the least squirt. The 314 series was the lowest of the 12.75mm shafts, and the Z series was the lowest of the 11.75mm shafts. This was testing by just shooting balls in and seeing how to aim them. Not a controlled test.

Predator had a solid patent, of a hollow area, that the other companies did not try to duplicate. They used other methods of reducing squirt. That predator patent has been expired now for 2 or 3 years. I expect other companies to copy it exactly some day soon. Just a hunch on my part. I know I would copy it if I was a competing company:)

Johnboy73

Johnboy
That is why I said, "You'd have to try them yourself."

I have tried lots of LD shafts and some seem to be more or less LD than others. Even some of the bigger ones seemed to be more LD than some of the lesser ones...and vice versa.

Just because they are advertised as LD doesn't mean they really are. I have two old solid maple shafts that are over 40 years old that are about 12.5mm that deflect less than a new Predator 314-2, in my opinion (with me doing the shooting).

Ok, I sort of get what u are saying. I could shoot with ur shaft and it could possibly deflect more than when ur using it? If that's true, then I guess we need to add, who makes the lowest amount of deflection when robot is pulling the trigger. Everyone knows what I'm asking.

Tiger claims to have a "no deflection" shaft (Tiger Pro X) I don't know how that's true, but its 11.75

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Jacoby Hybrid

At 12.75 the Jacoby Hybrid has little squirt to allow for on shots up to 4 diamonds of cue ball object ball separation but then again so does the Ob equivalent and it hits better. The Jacoby hits too hard for me.

Johnboy73

Johnboy
I've seen the Platinum numbers, but a lot of LD shafts wasn't on there. Mezz, Meucci Pro, SS360, Edge, OB Plus, Vantage etc

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If someone was gonna buy a LD shaft purely on the lowest deflection and not what feels the best, what one would you buy at 12.5 mm or bigger? The lowest deflection # is only parameter that matters! ...
Unless the front of the shaft is hollow, 12.5mm will not get you particularly low squirt. If you want to get really low squirt in a solid shaft, get an 11-mm shaft with a short, thin-walled ferrule. Have it made from a wood that is as strong as but lighter than hard maple. I think you want a higher elastic modulus and modulus of rupture if possible along with the lower density. It looks like some good info is available at: http://www.wood-database.com/ Some kinds of birch and ramin might be good candidates.

Johnboy73

Johnboy
Yeah Bob I would think so, but for now I'm just trying to figure out what shaft has the lowest deflection at 12.5 or larger. If a hallow end is true, then Predator or OB is the only option? The Meucci Pro is 12.625 and supposed to be as low as Z shaft. Is this not true? Has anyone shot with one a lot? Vantage?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Bob I would think so, but for now I'm just trying to figure out what shaft has the lowest deflection at 12.5 or larger. If a hallow end is true, then Predator or OB is the only option? The Meucci Pro is 12.625 and supposed to be as low as Z shaft. Is this not true? Has anyone shot with one a lot? Vantage?

I have a Meucci PRO and a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft. Unless you are aiming at a gnat's ass at 50 yards, I don't think there is much difference. The PRO is 12.5 and the FAT is 13.2.

I use the FAT as my main playing shaft.

I prefer the FAT shaft because I used a closed bridge and played with a 14mm shaft my entire life. I prefer the feel of the fatter shaft in my bridge.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried pretty much every shaft mentioned in this thread. I don't know why people are having such trouble answering what seemed like a pretty straightforward question. Of course there are many parameters that make a shaft "good", or "effective". Some of those parameters are about the person using it. Regarding *only* low squirt characteristics, the answers are pretty easy.

Predator 314-3 is going to be the lowest. The OB1+ is pretty close, as is the OB Classic. I would put them right in that order. This is as far as current production stuff is concerned.

For some reason, Meucci and Tiger make claims about their products being "the lowest". They are mistaken. I literally proved to the Tiger guys at their booth at the expo that my 314-2 had less deflection than their corresponding shaft. The tiger shafts have other qualities that make them very nice. They hit great and have good feel and build quality. I really don't understand why Tiger wouldn't emphasize these things, rather than make demonstrably false claims that they can't support. As for Meucci, I loved the Pro shaft. Hit very nice, played great, and was low deflection for sure. Was it as low as a 314-2, or 314-3? No. Clearly not. But it played fantastic and would be a good choice for many people based on its other qualities.

Hope this helps.

KMRUNOUT

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KMRUNOUT: If you've played a lot ... where does a Mezz WX900 come in?
It's 12mm which I consider the smallest I would ever go.