Did Mosconi use his Balabushka at the exhibitions

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In talking about Willie Mosconi and his exhibitions he put on from the late 60's and into the 70's I wondered if he used his Balabushka for these , like at the different pool halls . I assume that back then it was no more than just a nice cue to him and a tool to use. I did not know if he had a different cue he used for the pool rooms , of course back then they were not worth what they are today. Most people who own Bushka's today would not use them in the pool rooms because of their value. I was hoping that some of the guy's were there during some of his exhibitions could weigh in and say if in fact he played with his Balabushka cue.Thanks

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In talking about Willie Mosconi and his exhibitions he put on from the late 60's and into the 70's I wondered if he used his Balabushka for these , like at the different pool halls . I assume that back then it was no more than just a nice cue to him and a tool to use. I did not know if he had a different cue he used for the pool rooms , of course back then they were not worth what they are today. Most people who own Bushka's today would not use them in the pool rooms because of their value. I was hoping that some of the guy's were there during some of his exhibitions could weigh in and say if in fact he played with his Balabushka cue.Thanks

Yes, he played with them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Willie gave an exhib. at a local supply store around '80-'81. Had a 'bushka. Nothin fancy but a sweet cue. What was crazy is he showed up in a cab, walked in, took off his coat, put his cue together, racked 14balls with a breaker and RAN 100!! Stone cold. Just like that. There were about 10-15 people in the showroom when he did it. We all just kinda stared at each other like, "WTF?? Did i just see that?"

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie gave an exhib. at a local supply store around '80-'81. Had a 'bushka. Nothin fancy but a sweet cue. What was crazy is he showed up in a cab, walked in, took off his coat, put his cue together, racked 14balls with a breaker and RAN 100!! Stone cold. Just like that. There were about 10-15 people in the showroom when he did it. We all just kinda stared at each other like, "WTF?? Did i just see that?"

Now that’s impressive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear "Garczar,"

I saw him play only twice, but I would be surprised only if he had done anything other than what you described. You do surprise me, however, when you say that he took his jacket off.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear "Garczar,"

I saw him play only twice, but I would be surprised only if he had done anything other than what you described. You do surprise me, however, when you say that he took his jacket off.
He came in wearing a sportcoat. He hung it up and was wearing a polo-style golf shirt iirc. He had 4-5 semi-tough shots the entire run.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Had Willie Mosconi knew how collectible George Balabushka cues would become in the future, he would've likely used a Joss N7 and buy up every Balabushka to hold and store to secure the financial future of his family.

As much as we romanticized about the past, is it more likely that Willie, or any other player who bought from George thought it was the best quality playing cue at the time. Simply buying the best tools of the trade.

In the current day, except for Chinese and Taiwanese players and their affinity for Southwest, your question would have many interesting answers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had Willie Mosconi knew how collectible George Balabushka cues would become in the future, he would've likely used a Joss N7 and buy up every Balabushka to hold and store to secure the financial future of his family.

As much as we romanticized about the past, is it more likely that Willie, or any other player who bought from George thought it was the best quality playing cue at the time. Simply buying the best tools of the trade.

In the current day, except for Chinese and Taiwanese players and their affinity for Southwest, your question would have many interesting answers.
Mosconi ran the 526 less than 10yrs after WW2 ended. There were VERY few so-called "cuemakers" then. Balabushka didn't show up until early 60's. Most people used house cues or a few had Hoppe Titleists or Rambos.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

On that note, an interesting question, I have the catalog that was published for the 2011 auction of Willie's Billiard items. His Balabushka is listed as being auctioned with eight shafts- 3 original, 3 made by Joss, and 2 made by Mike Fusco. Also included were two box style cases- one was a Palmer DeLuxe case. I understand the cue went for $80,000 at auction in 2011- pre auction estimate was $50 to $100K. Anyone care to guess if that $80,000 would ever be surpassed in the future, if measured in current dollar value at any future date? In other words; would that $80,000 price tag for that cue ever truly appreciate in value? My guess is whoever owns it does not really care, and neither would I if I had the opportunity to buy it now.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I recently saw a picture of a Brunswick poster, promoting Willie's record high run records.

284 on 5x10, Denver CO, 1929
309 co-world record holder, Madison Billiard Academy, Perth Amboy NJ, Sunday, Oct 14, 1945.

I believe 309 was his previous high run before making the 526 record.

As you stated, there were very few cuemakers. I believe the culture to own cues didn't start until after the demise of the house man and well maintained cues.

Mosconi ran the 526 less than 10yrs after WW2 ended. There were VERY few so-called "cuemakers" then. Balabushka didn't show up until early 60's. Most people used house cues or a few had Hoppe Titleists or Rambos.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently saw a picture of a Brunswick poster, promoting Willie's record high run records.

284 on 5x10, Denver CO, 1929
309 co-world record holder, Madison Billiard Academy, Perth Amboy NJ, Sunday, Oct 14, 1945.

I believe 309 was his previous high run before making the 526 record. ...

Posted about 6 months ago:
Crane set the 5x10 record of 309 in 1939. Mosconi, while in the army, tied the record in October 1945, playing against Joe Procita.

On a 9-footer, Mosconi ran 322 on April 22, 1953 in an exhibition in Platteville, Wisconsin. He didn't remember the opponent's name.

On Nov. 13, 1953 he ran 365 playing Nixon Jones in Wilmington, NC. That run was off Mosconi's own opening break, calling the 1-ball in the left side pocket.

And then the 526, on March 19, 1954.

[info from Willie's autobiograhy]

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thanks, I wasn't aware of these newer records. They still reinforce my admiration for Willie Mosconi and his 526 record.

Posted about 6 months ago:

Crane set the 5x10 record of 309 in 1939. Mosconi, while in the army, tied the record in October 1945, playing against Joe Procita.

On a 9-footer, Mosconi ran 322 on April 22, 1953 in an exhibition in Platteville, Wisconsin. He didn't remember the opponent's name.

On Nov. 13, 1953 he ran 365 playing Nixon Jones in Wilmington, NC. That run was off Mosconi's own opening break, calling the 1-ball in the left side pocket.

And then the 526, on March 19, 1954.

[info from Willie's autobiograhy]

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On that note, an interesting question, I have the catalog that was published for the 2011 auction of Willie's Billiard items. His Balabushka is listed as being auctioned with eight shafts- 3 original, 3 made by Joss, and 2 made by Mike Fusco. Also included were two box style cases- one was a Palmer DeLuxe case. I understand the cue went for $80,000 at auction in 2011- pre auction estimate was $50 to $100K. Anyone care to guess if that $80,000 would ever be surpassed in the future, if measured in current dollar value at any future date? In other words; would that $80,000 price tag for that cue ever truly appreciate in value? My guess is whoever owns it does not really care, and neither would I if I had the opportunity to buy it now.
Did Glenn buy it??

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did Glenn buy it??

"That wouldn't surprise me …..
Glenn got ALL THE GREAT PLAYERS' CUES …..
AND THEN SOME
"I know Buddy sold his Bushka to the Glenns'
and later tried to buy it back.
They told Buddy NOT FOR SALE AT THIS TIME

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Mosconi used the famous Balabushka for his exhibitions and senior tournaments, I would say, from the late 60s to the early 80s.

A little footnote is, when he and Jimmy Caras played straight pool at Horsham, Pennsylvania, Mosconi went back to his Rambow that he ran the 526 with. Other than the basement tapes, I think this was Willie's last public performance.

As for both cues, pretty sure I see them in the Glenn video.

All the best,
WW

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much would one of those cues cost to buy at the time?

My grandfather bought two cues from George in the early 60's as a housewarming present for my father's new house in NJ. He had a table in the attic, of all places. My grandfather used to play 25 no count with guys like Erwin Rudolph, former world champ. He brought Onofrio Lauri to the house to see the new table. All my father told me about that day is that Lauri said that he "hits a good center ball."

I'm getting these prices second hand and from memory but the first bushka had no inlays and was just a simple titlist wood design and went for probably under $100. The cue in my avatar has 28 inlays and was somewhere around $120. In any case, the cues certainly were not far off from those prices.