How does one get pro status?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go win.

You’ll know when you get there or if you don’t. Takes a couple years to answer the question out in the real world. But when you do reach the answer(the OP) it be VERY clear to you.

I know that’s not a answer to the OP, it’s a conclusion based on experience which I feel is the most accurate way to address that OP.

Good luck out there,
Fatboy

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Win a local pool hall tournament. Then go to a regional and win that. Then go to the DCC and cash in the 9 Ball. It is kind of a bummer because what typically gets people a Fargo is done on bar tables with the BCA so translating that to a 9 foot? I don't know, I'm not Mike Page.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is being made to sound way to complicated but, it's a real easy fix.

Go and play a known current pro for some cash. Play even, no spot and then play again.

After ^^^^^^.........do vvvvvvvvv:

Go and find yet another pro. Play them even for some cash.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the fastest way to know if you can play pro speed.......no tournament needed.

One thing, make sure the bet is enough to make the pro not try to string you along.

Example:

I can beat the 9 and 10 ball ghost to death with BIH but:

when I played Warren K. in 1hole, he beat me 3 out of 5 sets playing even. $200 a set....it was brutal.

I played Josh Roberts even 1hole....another brutal lesson. But, I was able to beat him at 10 ball. He beat me out of $1,200 at 1hole and lost $1,500 back to me at 10 ball.

I played Danny Smith 10 ball only. Lost $600 over three sets and then, the next day, we played again and I won $400 of it back at $200 a set.

I played casper the same day. I put up $300 against his BK Rush break cue. I won his break cue.

Point is:

I can play pro speed on "some days".....at "some games".....but, that doesn't make me a pro. A true pro can play all games at pro speeds everyday.

Find out when and where they are playing. Go there....ask them to get in box. I promise, they will not turn you away as long as you dont ask for weight for cheap.

Get in the box, find out what you got.

Ghkst play is fun but, like I said, it is misleading to your true total game speed.

YMMV, I doubt but, it may,

Jeff

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the low price of $49.99 I can send you a lovely certificate proclaiming you to be a professional pool player. Free shipping and handling.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go win.

You’ll know when you get there or if you don’t. Takes a couple years to answer the question out in the real world. But when you do reach the answer(the OP) it be VERY clear to you.

I know that’s not a answer to the OP, it’s a conclusion based on experience which I feel is the most accurate way to address that OP.

Good luck out there,
Fatboy

I agree but, it didn't take me but three or four different tournaments. I didn't play in the tournaments but, I played pros as they got put out. They looked at me like I was crazy when I ask for head up action for a couple hundred a set.......free lunch..

What I found is what I pretty much already knew. I'm still a weak shorty no matter how much I practice or what game I play.

Sure, I've beat a few pros for somewhat cheap sets but, there is NO WAY IN HELL I could hang with them on a regular basis.

While playing Sky woodward in a race to 15 for $400....10 ball.....I was up 9 to 3. LOLLOLOLOL I dogged a ball and didn't get another shot.

He ask me to play again...lol... I said no. He then said he would give me the last three....lol....still a BIG no.

It was fun to watch him burn it up though.

OP needs to put a ghost vid up and let some of us give honest opinions before he goes out and maybe or maybe not waste a chunk of change.

Than again, lose or win, when playing really strong players it's a win/win as long as you can afford it because it is a very quick way to be measured.

They told me I had been weighed and measured and that I had been found wanting......

Jeff

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way i play ghost may not be correct. Just what more advanced player told me to do to measure skill.
I rack 10 racks of 10 ball. Break give my self ball in hand. run to i miss. Assume ghost will not miss you lose. Count balls ran in 10 racks. Last gauge was around 60%. I was told pros shot 90%
After reading on bu last night. I need try balls pocket vs errors. It sounded like if run to 6 miss finish rack. How many attempts it takes run rack.
I will look for forums gauge on playing ghost.

If you have to ask what a pro is, you have a ways to go before you can beat good players. If you can run 6 balls (60% of 10) with ball in hand on average, that makes you about a B or B+ player. I am a B+ player (at leas that is what I rank myself as) and I can beat the 7 ball ghost most of the time. Have not really tried the 8 ball ghost. That is you rack 7 balls, break with ball in hand after break. If you run out, you win, if you don't run out, the ghost wins. If you can beat the ghost in a race to 10 that way say 75% of the time, you can beat the 7 ball ghost. An A- player should be able to beat the 7 or 8 ball ghost as well. The pros play 10,11,12 ball ghost where they beat the ghost with that many balls on the table. This is on a 9 foot table with 4.5" or about there pockets. if you do this on a 7 footer with large pockets, or even a 9 footer with large pockets, the results will be higher than your real skill. 5" pockets may be a bit too large in my opinion to test skill, I have played against may players that I beat that just kept missing on a 4.5" pocket just enough where on a 5" pocket the ball may have gone, it's because they can't aim at the largest opening and keep aiming at the edge of the pocket.

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Win a local pool hall tournament. Then go to a regional and win that. Then go to the DCC and cash in the 9 Ball. It is kind of a bummer because what typically gets people a Fargo is done on bar tables with the BCA so translating that to a 9 foot? I don't know, I'm not Mike Page.

So long as the player actually PLAYS on both size tables, it translates just fine.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not exactly the same but I've cashed in the DCC 1pocket many times but am nowhere near pro status.

I think you need to win or finish really high in a couple of big events, then perhaps you're consider to be at that level.

Lou Figueroa

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just dawned on me that OP ask about pro status, not "pro speed". I guess one could play pro speed but, still not have pro status as a rating or reputation.

Big difference ^^^^^^^.

OP:

Disregard my advice then.

Doing what I did will just let "you" know where you stand but, "nobody else" will ever know your "status" as a pro.

Only you....

Jeff

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly the same but I've cashed in the DCC 1pocket many times but am nowhere near pro status.

I think you need to win or finish really high in a couple of big events, then perhaps you're consider to be at that level.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, I agree.

However, many pros admit that "anyone" that can run 100+ balls even once in their life, are capable of playing at lower-level pro speed.

Haven't you had a at least one 100+ ball run? I think I remember hearing you did.

If so, well, consider yourself to at least be a person "capable" of pros speed on your very best days.

I know some may not agree but, if the big boys agree, well, who are we or any other amateur to disagree with them.

Jeff

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
kinda like being the big dog

With there being no real pro tour there is only one way to define a pro, look at the dictionary. Do you make a living off of winnings on the table? That lets out most of the people we consider pro's!

Respectfully, the ghost will give some indication of your mastery of fundamentals but you only learn your real speed by getting in the box with other players. Everybody knows stories of practice champions that fold like a cheap rug under the pressure of playing somebody else.

The ghost can tell you where you are not at, it can only tell you so much about where you are at. Spend six or eight hours playing a well known player for enough to get their best game and you get a pretty good indication where you are at. Do that over and over and other people will start calling you a pro. It's a lot like being the big dog around town. You can't claim the title for yourself, others have to give it to you. Go very deep in big events and you will get labeled pro quick enough!

Hu

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.

That would be much funnier if it wasn't true.

I often wonder why anyone would stay with pool full time, unless they are one of the top extremely few top guns or financially independent.

I have a few theories but, I better keep them to myself...lol....eventhough all of my theories hold water and some of them are very likely in most cases, some people are just to sensitive in today's sensitive (politically correct) world.

Jeff >>>>> :eek:uttahere: <<<<<< PC people

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So long as the player actually PLAYS on both size tables, it translates just fine.

That makes sense but, most everyone that I know personally that has a Fargo rating plays on bar boxes only.

Now, they aren't pros, heck...most of them are in 550 to 600 range. Regardless, since they only play on bar boxes, does it effect the accuracy of their rating?

One example:

A good friend of mine has a 690ish rating, with a robustness of 400+ games. When playing on bar boxes, I give him last three in 9 ball and have a very hard time beating him in short sets but, when we play on a 9' table, well, he's toast because he almost never plays on 9' equipment.

Is ^^^^^^^^^^^ type situation what you were referring to, when you said "as long as they play on both size tables"???

In ^^^^^^^ scenario, how could one make a fair game between him and someone thats got a similar rating that plays mostly on 9' equipment?

Jeff

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't "get" pro status, you just decide that you have pro status by making pool the only source of income. Your level of play will determine if you can keep that up.