MadMan Layered Tips

LPCUSTOMCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a few of these tips to try out.
I finally got around to installing one on my personal playing cue.

The tip seemed to feel a little on the hard side and since my cue hits a little soft, I figured I would try one.

All I can say is, it tuned it right in. I'm using a micarta ferrule and joint, thus the soft hit. The softer components of my cue along with the hard tip go very well together.

I saw no problems at installation. The tip is very well made and didn't separate or flare out as I turned it down.

I used the same glue I always use and after it was dry, I tested it with a small amount of lateral pressure from my thumb and it stayed put.

The hit in my opinion is just hard enough but not too hard. The tip holds chalk very well and I never miscued once, and I did try to miscue a few times.

The leather layers are different colors and give an old look. It looks alot like a stacked leather wrap.

In my opinion this tip is great. I'm not sure how he is making them, but I say don't stop. I will definitely buy more in the future.

2373027790105946237S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks
Lee
LP Custom Cues

Last edited:

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review Lee! This kind of info always holds a little more weight coming from a cue maker.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recieved a few of these tips to test out a few days ago. Install went very well. They have a unique look with the different color layers. Currently on the three shafts that I normally use I have a Moori S, Wizard M, and a Kamui Black SS. These tips are too hard for me, but they are a nice tip. I had a few teammates over the other night, one uses elk masters, and thought these were too hard for him. The other is a more of a medium hard tip guy and he thought it played well. They hold chalk, hold shape, and don't seem to mushroom. I haven't installed one of the break tips yet, but will be doing so in the next few days. I will post a review of those after I've had time to test. If you like a hard tip, you should give these a try.

Roy Vadas

Baby Seal Clubber
Silver Member
Love the break tip Juan. I had Joe Blackburn install one for me this afternoon. I ran it through about 30 racks and there was zero mushrooming or deformation. Very good English control with no miscues that I noticed. I was able to shoot with it as a player as well, something my Phenolic won't do <grin.> I gotta tell ya..I really like it.I will order more and recommend them for break cues to my friends.

~Roy

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One comment I would like to make about Juan is: He is not new to tip making. I met him many years ago in Vegas and reviewed his older tips in the 2001 first edition of my book. He was only making single layered tips at the time, but has been making layered tips for a while now. I know AZ members can come down pretty hard on new people getting into business. So I just wanted to let you know he is not new to this. Tips are like everything else in cues, not everyone will like any one tip that is out there, so Juan's tips should be worth a try.

I have tried several of Juan's tips over the years. Most were a little hard for my taste. But others that like something just a little harder than a LePro should really like them. His break tips should really work out good with the new no phenolic rule on BCA league break cues.

mn90403

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MadMan Tips

I have been trying Juan's tips for a couple of years now and recently he gave me one I think is the best so far. I don't use a tip as hard as his break and jump cue tips. These are excellent but mostly too hard for me. The tip I used two weeks ago was perfect! It was firm but I had control of my table length draw shot. I don't know of anyone who makes as many different tips as Juan. I suggest you give him an email or call and tell him what you want and he will make it for you or send it from his stock.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I have been trying Juan's tips for a couple of years now and recently he gave me one I think is the best so far. The tip I used two weeks ago was perfect!
Was it layered? Do you remember hardness type as Juan refers them to? He usually names them smth like '11 layer pig skin medium hard', or 'single layer cow hide hard'.
We bought a bulk package of various tips from Juan and had changing experience. Sometimes the adhesive he uses for sticking layers together couldn't hold machining the tip during the install. There were 3 layered tips he sent us to try and they were M, I was curious because he didn't mention he had anything under MH. I decided to put the tip on my cue, and 2 of them delaminated, one layer after another, when I was shaping the dome in a lathe. After that I decided to shape the tip manually, with a tip tool, and it worked good. I'm using this tip now and it plays great, holding shape and trasnferring the amount of English I need.
Good tips, I just would ask for more consistency quality-wise.

jakefats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love this tips. I have great control with my break. Also the installation was very easy.

Great products Juan