Votes: 5 11.6%
  • It's no good.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome App

It is an awesome app. We just started a 14.1 league and I have been showing it to guys. The gentleman I practiced with yesterday absolutely loved it. A lot easier than using counters or paper. I did just upgrade a couple of days ago, and it seems the buttons you touch for safe, miss, and foul have shifted to the left so they overlap numbers on the left, and only goes to the middle when the right hand person is up. Other than that I would say it does everything anyone would ask of it.

Thanks.

Would like it on my Android phone though. You could put up a bid on elance and see what it would cost to have it converted over to Android. Just an idea.

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
I did just upgrade a couple of days ago, and it seems the buttons you touch for safe, miss, and foul have shifted to the left so they overlap numbers on the left, and only goes to the middle when the right hand person is up. Other than that I would say it does everything anyone would ask of it.

I had one other person mention that, but I think it went away for him when he killed and restarted the app (double tap home, hold the icon until it bounces, hit the "X", then restart). Are you using an iPhone or iPad (he was using an iPad). I haven't been able to reproduce that problem on either device.

Would like it on my Android phone though. You could put up a bid on elance and see what it would cost to have it converted over to Android. Just an idea.

If I were making enough money from this to justify paying another person to do it, I would invest the time myself.:) The app has made just enough money for the last year and a half to cover the fees Apple takes for hosting it.:eek: 2.0 will include support for more games, and I'm hoping that it will expand the possible user base enough that it will make a little bit more.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one other person mention that, but I think it went away for him when he killed and restarted the app (double tap home, hold the icon until it bounces, hit the "X", then restart). Are you using an iPhone or iPad (he was using an iPad). I haven't been able to reproduce that problem on either device.

If I were making enough money from this to justify paying another person to do it, I would invest the time myself.:) The app has made just enough money for the last year and a half to cover the fees Apple takes for hosting it.:eek: 2.0 will include support for more games, and I'm hoping that it will expand the possible user base enough that it will make a little bit more.

I should have thought to post something sooner. I use my iPad for scoring quite a bit. In my opinion, it's the ideal device for such a task. I like your app but last I checked, it was meant for the iPhone and I kinda hate using apps on my iPad that are intended for the iPhone. Assuming this hasn't changed, would you consider building an iPad-specific app too?

The reason why I ask has to do with things like the font size of the total score. It'd be great if someone could read it from across the room. As well, would it be possible to have a variety of "skins" so we could select the font color and background color? I've been using this app http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/universal-scoreboard/id489424158?mt=8for general scorekeeping simply because it's easy to read. If your app looked like this on an iPad, I'd use your app all the time.

Last, I'll pay $5 for ANY pool app to not have to see ads but if you're going to have ads, can you at least have them be pool-specific? As a display tool, it would terrify me to think I don't have control over what might pop-up on the screen. At least give me the option to give you $5 and not see ads.

I think you're doing great work and I really hope you continue offering pool players useful apps. Especially for 14.1, scorekeeping can often get very confusing and to be able to have it all simplified AND recorded is amazing.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh wait, there is an in-app purchase available to rid myself of ads. Thank you, I just bought it.

With that said, I would still really appreciate an iPad version in landscape mode. As well, the names and total score should be in a larger font and we should have options for background/font color so that it gives the appearance of a true scoreboard.

Honestly, you do this and I cannot imagine why anyone who plays 14.1 and owns an iPad would not use your product all the time. To have a professional display on-hand would be sooooooo useful. No longer will people walk up and ask, "Who's winning" or "What's the run?". They could just look at the iPad and know everything.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dude, this is an AWESOME app...I've been using it since you first released it. Curious though, why not charge another dollar or three? I don't think anyone would mind. I mean, I use it ALL THE TIME! :)

PS, I can Paypal you $10 if that would help accelerate release of new version that supports iPad HD and horizontal orientation.

PS#2, If it isn't too late, how about a link to SHARE the games to your FaceBook or Twitter accounts?

:):):)

With that said, I would still really appreciate an iPad version in landscape mode.

Yea, what he said. ;)

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like the bank shot calculater, I will be waiting for these pool apps to be released in an Android version. I may just make my own for that matter because it doesn't look like anyone wants to bother with us droid folk, lol.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now thats a fantastic idea !!!

-Steve

I think incorporating Facebook accounts could be a great idea for promotion of the product too. I mean, what better way to encourage people to buy the app than to find your opponent on Facebook, track all statistics for the game and then send your opponent the results. Of course, to view the results, you'd have to own the app.

arsenius

Silver Member
@Jude: I'm glad you were able to find the in-app purchase! As for your question, it is not possible for me to make the ads pool related. I give my ad providers information about my product, and theoretically they tailor the ads somewhat, but in practice I don't think it comes to anything.

@poolmouse and Steve and Jude: Twitter and facebook support are coming in version 2.0! I've been wanting to do that for a long time.

@poolmouse: Thank you for your offer, but I wouldn't feel right taking your money not knowing how long it will take me to finish the work. I have a real job and a baby, so my time is limited.

And to everyone waiting for an iPad version, yes I do plan on doing it. My plan is to release version 2.0 for iPhone first, and then start on the iPad version. (I know people would like iPad right away, but I have to break work into chunks, or nothing will ever get released). Also, the iPad version will require substantial redesign to be done properly. For example, when you use it on iPad now in 2x mode, the score pickers size gets scaled up. But on a normal iPad app, those will be small, the same size as on an iPhone (or when using 1x mode on iPad). I haven't decided how to deal with that problem yet.

Also, the reason there is no landscape mode yet is because on the iPhone there is not enough space. I spent substantial time trying to squeeze everything in like that when I first designed the app, but had to abandon it. However, there is more space on the iPad, and landscape mode is required for all apps on iPad anyways. So it will be there in the iPad version.

Finally, to everyone who likes the Billiards Buddy, please rate it in the app store and leave reviews! Higher ratings move the app closer to the top helping more people find it.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@poolmouse: Thank you for your offer, but I wouldn't feel right taking your money not knowing how long it will take me to finish the work. I have a real job and a baby, so my time is limited.

How about a donation drive on AZBilliards? What if we can get enough $1, $5, $10, etc., donations and a goal of $1,000 and if/when we reach the goal, you decide if it's worth the time/effort to take a few days off of work to finish v2.0?

If you decide not to, everyone gets their money back...if you decide to, I'm sure those of us with iPad HD devices would be willing to help you test. :)

Think of all the roses and diapers $1,000 can buy! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Do i have to uninstall my free version to get the ad free version to work ?

which i could swear i paid for the real version when the app was first launched and maybe an update knocked it out

i used the app today to score one of the matches from the Maryland 14.1 Championships and the app worked flawlessly !

-Steve

Last edited:

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do i have to uninstall my free version to get the ad free version to work ?

which i could swear i paid for the real version when the app was first launched and maybe an update knocked it out

i used the app today to score one of the matches from the Maryland 14.1 Championships and the app worked flawlessly !

-Steve
I purchased the free version first, then purchased the ad-free upgrade and it installed right over the previous version without any problems.

-Dennis

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
when i went to the app store on my phone the app in the search said downloaded and i couldnt purchase from there like i normally would with other apps. i will have to check from iTunes to see what it says.

-Steve

arsenius

Silver Member
How about a donation drive on AZBilliards? What if we can get enough $1, $5, $10, etc., donations and a goal of $1,000 and if/when we reach the goal, you decide if it's worth the time/effort to take a few days off of work to finish v2.0?

If you decide not to, everyone gets their money back...if you decide to, I'm sure those of us with iPad HD devices would be willing to help you test. :)

Think of all the roses and diapers $1,000 can buy! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would definitely be interested in doing something like that. I took a look at kickstarter.com, which is setup to do exactly what you are saying. If people in this thread showed enough interest I would be willing to setup a page there. From what I understand, potential donors would signup and pledge on the site, and their accounts wouldn't be charged until the project was fully funded.

The site requires that I offer rewards for different levels of donation. Two that come to mind are a credits page for smaller donors and a splash screen for one or at most two very large donors. I'm not sure whether I could give free copies of the app away or not, based on Apple's app store rules. If anyone has any ideas for other rewards I would be interested in hearing them.

arsenius

Silver Member
when i went to the app store on my phone the app in the search said downloaded and i couldnt purchase from there like i normally would with other apps. i will have to check from iTunes to see what it says.

-Steve

Steve, the ads are removed via an in-app purchase. You can't make in-app purchases on iTunes. But, if you did upgrade before, all you have to do is click the upgrade button in the app and enter your password. If you did in fact upgrade before Apple will remember and tell you that you already purchased the upgrade. You won't be charged again. Of course, you have to use the same Apple ID that you used when you purchased (most people only have one Apple ID, so this probably shouldn't be a problem).

Let me know if you have any trouble with this.
-Tim

PS, you may be correct that an upgrade wiped out your upgrade. That did actually happen at one point. Unfortunately at the time I did not realize what had happened, or I would have added a notice in the app. However, the upgrade is not actually gone, you just have to follow the steps I mentioned above to get the app to realize that you paid.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
okay i just saw the in app upgrade that i had missed when i was trying to upgrade it. i thought i would have had to do it at the app store.

i guess i didnt have the upgrade !!

thanks for your help, i am now Ad-Free
-Steve