Proform temporary install

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning Guys

I’m planning to install my new Proform Cloth this weekend. I’ve bought the Simonis installation DVD’s and they are great but I have a question.

Since I will have to remove my cloth somewhere next year to dismantle my table, I wonder if this time I should glue the pocket as recommended in the video ? I don’t know if the 3M 66 spray glue is strong enough to damage the cloth when I’ll have remove it next year.

BTW I’m planning to do not trim the excess cloth yet to give me some grip for the future reinstall.

Thanks

Martin

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying you are trying to keep the cloth?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

The cloth will be only one year old and stapled, I think its feasable.

Martin

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could keep the rail cloth but don’t bother with the bed cloth. I know you want to try to keep it but you won’t be able to stretch it again. Just start over on the bed cloth. Trust me on this. You will pull your head out trying to get a stretch out of it only to find that you will have to buy new bed cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
I do it all the time... with trimmed cloth sometimes over 10 years old or more. If it was done right in the first place and pulled off with care it should not be a problem

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you guys

What about gluing the pockets ? If I glue the pockets opening with 3m 66, do you think I will be able to remove the cloth without damaged ?

Martin

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent you a PM.

When I pulled cloth that a mechanic had lightly glued with 3M 77 at pockets, the glue had picked up debris and I think it would have been difficult to remove that. Plus it had hardened / dried, wasn't very sticky anymore.
Maybe if it was like contact cement it could be "re-activated" with another coat, I don't know. But to me it looked like just applying 77 again, wouldn't have worked well the second time.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Angluse

I dont know why I mention 3M 66, I meant 77. I think I'll try to doing it without glue unless it looks terrible without it.

Martin

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thank you Angluse

I dont know why I mention 3M 66, I meant 77. I think I'll try to doing it without glue unless it looks terrible without it.

Martin

You absolutely can reuse the cloth!
Secret is like you said: do not trim
off all of the excess. You can just
fold it under and pop in a few staples
in to keep it from hanging.

You have the DVD's and also I have
seen from your pictures that you
possess good shop skills. Another
trick: the dvd shows Jay marking
out the lines in dashes, I use a
straight edge and use a solid line.
Keeps my stretch even as I am going.

These with some 150 grit spray glued
on the inside of the paddles will help tremendously:
wiss-specialty-hand-tools-ws3n-64_1000.jpg

You are using staples and remember
that if you do not like the way things
are doing, stop, pull all the staples
carefully and restart.

I am actually re-leveling a table next
week and I have to remove the Simonis
860 to do it. The guess work is whether
the last guy installed it correctly or not, but,
the customer is aware that if it is butchered
he will have to pay for a new bedcloth.

As for the spray glue in the pockets: Personally,
I do not use it at all and have zero issues
getting it in there. If you are having trouble getting
the sides in use some spray glue to help you, but,
be conservative and you wont have issue
when you take the cloth off. I also do the "french fold"
on all six pockets to hide the relief cuts and staples.

Just don't be in a hurry and you will do
a great job!I have a feeling you will be proud!
Show us some pics of your install :)

Trent from Toledo

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Trent for the advices and encouragement.

The pliers you show are tin folding pliers ? Right ?

I already have some of those ViseGrip and was planning gluing some neoprene facing materiel to the jaws to give some grip and avoid tearing the cloth. What do you think about my idea ?

EDIT: The more I think about it, your style of pliers is probably a lot better since the jaws are parrallel and wont pinch the cloth at only one spot....

8060-35_R_1b69505b.jpg

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thank you Trent for the advices and encouragement.

The pliers you show are tin folding pliers ? Right ?

I already have some of those ViseGrip and was planning gluing some neoprene facing materiel to the jaws to give some grip and avoid tearing the cloth. What do you think about my idea ?

EDIT: The more I think about it, your style of pliers is probably a lot better since the jaws are parrallel and wont pinch the cloth at only one spot....

View attachment 522143

Yes, they are sheet metal pliers. A very solid mechanic Jamie Pluta in Minneapolis showed me these 3 years ago and I been hooked on them since. I use skateboard grip tape (because I still skate) on the inside of the paddles and they work awesome. The vise grips also lock down every pull, with the Wiss pliers, they are hinged and easy to work with.

You got this Martin!:thumbup:

Trent

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I built this contraption. I've add hard wood blocks to the pliers jaws to make them closing parrallel and glued some sand paper, That's crude but hopefully it will work fine

Martin

DSCN7657.jpg