Setting up a used pool table questions

mcslayer

Registered
Hey everyone. I've read a fair amount on azbillards.com and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge. I just bought a used Olhausen 8-foot 3-piece slate table, and I have three questions

1. Does anyone know how old this table is? The seller said it was about 10 years old, but there's a date written on the inside of the cabinet referencing 1987.

BlFju33

LQHf5b6

2. When I broke down the table, the slate had quite a few scratches on it. They're pretty shallow. I asked the seller about them and he said they didn't affect play at all. I was thinking I'd fill them with Bondo, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't worry about the scratches since they're so shallow. I've rolled a ball across them, and they don't appear to affect the ball at all.

fb9KAz7

3. Finally, I'm installing the table upstairs, and I'm thinking of using Bondo to seal the seams. Since the table will be upstairs, the floor will have a little bounce to it at times, and bees wax may come undone. Is Bondo a good choice.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure why your photos aren't showing up, Here they are...

Attachments

• olhausen1.jpg
    olhausen1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 562
  • olhausen2.jpg
    olhausen2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 560
  • olhausen3.jpg
    olhausen3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 552

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a long way from an expert , but until someone more knowledgeable answers , I don't think the scratches will affect anything, I would not use bondo personally , I prefer beeswax, it can be taken off with a hairdryer, bondo you need to sand, and might do more harm than good. When you put the cloth on, don't go too fast and open up the cloth above the screw hole in the slate thinking it's another rail bolt {I actually did that, luckily it was still about 75 % under the rail and doesn't affect play.}
Otherwise I did a great job with RKC and other people on heres help, on y first solo recloth.

mcslayer

Registered
Okay, thanks book collector. Maybe I'll just use beeswax and put the felt on and see how the table plays. If the scratches affect anything then, I'll revisit trying something to alleviate the symptom.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I don’t think those light scratches are going to be a factor at all.

I think the buyer underestimated the age of that table. The Olhausen label is pre “Accu-fast cushions” time frame. They started using Accu-fast cushions in the early to mid 90s, so the table is probably closer to 30 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Its really impossible to tell if the scratches are deep enough to be an issue from these pictures. My slates were damaged by screws being overflush and stacked slates. I filled them with a dental casting product that is very easy to use, almost as hard as slate and doesn't shrink. Just lay it on, smooth it with a razor blade and its permanently repaired. If you can feel them with a fingernail, now is the time to repair them, not after you assemble and realize you wish you had.

Attachments

• 20190618_205947.jpg
    20190618_205947.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 20190618_205957.jpg
    20190618_205957.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 365

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OTHER filler

Thanks for telling us about the Die Set Material.. I'll try that with some ideas & see how that works.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beeswax is the answer you seek.

Use a torch to melt it onto the seams and a straight edge to lay it down flat.
Same procedure on the scratches if you want--or not.

mcslayer

Registered
Okay thanks everyone for your replies.

@Lawnboy77, what would you say the table is worth? I paid $1000 because I thought the Olhausen name was well worth it, and I also thought the rails did have Accufast cushions. It looks like I was mistaken. :(

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Pool Table is NOT always measured by monetary value

If your Pool Table gives you a place to have fun, do some practicing & enjoy with friends, $1000 isn't much of an investment for the returns you will enjoy.

With some good Simonis 360, a good table mechanic & a few days or weeks, you'll be in business...

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay thanks everyone for your replies.

@Lawnboy77, what would you say the table is worth? I paid $1000 because I thought the Olhausen name was well worth it, and I also thought the rails did have Accufast cushions. It looks like I was mistaken. :(

I think you did fine paying $1000.00 for that table. Like ceebee mentioned, that’s cheap entertainment over the long haul. It’s a solid home table made in the U.S., and as far as the Accu-Fast cushions go, right now is the perfect time to have that done, along with any rail work that might need to be done, like subrail extensions to correct bad pocket angles and maybe tighten the pockets just a bit.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to some you can send your rails off to an AZ member here. A little research here would do it!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone. I've read a fair amount on azbillards.com and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge. I just bought a used Olhausen 8-foot 3-piece slate table, and I have three questions

1. Does anyone know how old this table is? The seller said it was about 10 years old, but there's a date written on the inside of the cabinet referencing 1987.

BlFju33

LQHf5b6

2. When I broke down the table, the slate had quite a few scratches on it. They're pretty shallow. I asked the seller about them and he said they didn't affect play at all. I was thinking I'd fill them with Bondo, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't worry about the scratches since they're so shallow. I've rolled a ball across them, and they don't appear to affect the ball at all.

fb9KAz7

3. Finally, I'm installing the table upstairs, and I'm thinking of using Bondo to seal the seams. Since the table will be upstairs, the floor will have a little bounce to it at times, and bees wax may come undone. Is Bondo a good choice.

Thanks everyone.
The scratches were probably caused by Staples when one piece was slid across the top of another piece during a move. Although they are not deep, using a palm sander should help, which I would recommend particularly if you are planning to use a thinner faster brand of cloth like Simonis.

As for Bondo, we have used it in our slate seams here for years and it is our preferred compound. You may get some differing opinions from mechanics who post here. The biggest advantage is you don’t have to worry about it breaking up or softening if it gets damp, in the process of wiping down your pool tables with a wet towel while cleaning the cloth.

mcslayer

Registered
Thanks again guys for the great info. I didn't realize you could buy Accufast cushions individually. That's awesome news!

Part of my purpose in buying the pool table was to engage in a fun project too. As such, I was planning on leveling it and putting the cloth down myself. With this new information, I'll see about replacing the cushions too.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again guys for the great info. I didn't realize you could buy Accufast cushions individually. That's awesome news!

Part of my purpose in buying the pool table was to engage in a fun project too. As such, I was planning on leveling it and putting the cloth down myself. With this new information, I'll see about replacing the cushions too.
Accufast cushions purchased individually? Cushion rubbers are only sold in complete sets of six, and you would never want to replace any less than all of the cushion rubbers on any table, to assure that they play the same.

mcslayer

Registered
Accufast cushions purchased individually? Cushion rubbers are only sold in complete sets of six, and you would never want to replace any less than all of the cushion rubbers on any table, to assure that they play the same.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Just that the cushions can be purchased apart from the table. I'll plan on buying the full set of six.

mcslayer

Registered
So I disassembled the rails yesterday and the old cushions are championship Fleetwood's which I understand to be k55 profile. Does this mean I can't install new accufast cushions on this old olhausen table? Can you switch between k55 and k66?

If I should stick with k55, would Brunswick superspeeds or artemis intercontinental no. 66 k55's be good choices?

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I disassembled the rails yesterday and the old cushions are championship Fleetwood's which I understand to be k55 profile. Does this mean I can't install new accufast cushions on this old olhausen table? Can you switch between k55 and k66?

If I should stick with k55, would Brunswick superspeeds or artemis intercontinental no. 66 k55's be good choices?

You probably should ask this question in the “Ask a mechanic” forum. I have a feeling your Championship Fleetwoods are actually a K-66 profile. Did you measure one of the cushions to confirm? K-55 will be 1-1/4” on top, and K-66 will be about 1-1/8”. I think I would also call the Olhausen folks to. It just doesn’t make sense that they would change profiles. They have always been known for their thinner subrails (1-5/8”) and K-66 cushions.

mcslayer

Registered
You probably should ask this question in the “Ask a mechanic” forum. I have a feeling your Championship Fleetwoods are actually a K-66 profile. Did you measure one of the cushions to confirm? K-55 will be 1-1/4” on top, and K-66 will be about 1-1/8”. I think I would also call the Olhausen folks to. It just doesn’t make sense that they would change profiles. They have always been known for their thinner subrails (1-5/8”) and K-66 cushions.

Thanks Lawnboy77. I asked about it in the ask a mechanic forum, and they confirmed that my table takes k66 cushions. Once I took the old cushions off the rails, it's apparent that they're k66 as well.