U.S. Open 9-Ball Opinion from Pat Fleming

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
slouch's

Pat I will never forget the look you gave me when I handed you a mini cue, I took the look to mean "Do I know you?". I made a cue and gave it to you because I admired you for a multitude of reasons. your hard work for many years has been a big reason why things happen, Thanks again.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The berhmans showed a complete lack of class trying to make a backroom deal with matchsports starting back in January and not responding to all the attempts pat was making in trying to contact them.

Then in February Bergman contacted the hotel saying the u s open would not be held there this year but gave no further information on what their plans were.

Their failure to respond to pats repeated attempts to find out if and when a u s open was going to be held and if he was going to be involved like he was for the last 3 years shows a complete lack of respect for the man who busted his butt in keeping it going for the last 3 years.

A hell of a way to show your gratitude Bergman for trying to keep your dads legacy alive the last 3 years.

I am going to reserve judgement on matchroom taking over the u s open but will Sa it was not matchrooms responsibility to inform pat of the talks transpiring between them and Bergman.

Interesting to read that wpa still says that the u s open will not be sanctioned by them in the future without guaranteed payout in place.

Kerry Impson

Former player
Silver Member
What Jam said!!! You handled this with class and dignity, as always. Hope your endeavors continue to be successful!! :)

wagnew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat,
You surely don't deserve the disrespect from the Behrmans after all you did for the Open through the years. My brother Jack and I are greatly sorry that there will be no Open this year. Hopefully Matchroom will do a great job in the future.
We wish you all the best with your future plans for pool.
Sincerely,
Wayne and Jack Agnew

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Anyone know the sale price? Post or pm!

What is US Open 9 Ball name really worth???

The copyright or patent is so old it can't be valid anymore? Plus, it has a few stains from past shenanigans.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Welcome Matchroom and salute to Pat Fleming, always the professional or professionals. To the Behrman's, let's just say...

I don't think it is completely fair to just insult them. Their father as done a lot for pool an while he did have his quirks, the US Open was an annual event for me and I had a great time at everyone I went too (even the one at the Holiday Inn after it left the Conference Center).

Part of the fun for me during the Open was not only the tournament, but also shooting a ton with friends and sweating action back at Q Master. The Behrman's have a fantastic poolhall that I love hanging out in.

I am sad that the Open is moving to Vegas, but it will definitely be better overall for the game and players. Im happy to hear that Pat will be running a new event in the place of the old Open an that will become my new annual event and I will be able to hang at Q Master again, provided the Behrman's keep it.

Reactions: JAM

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentleman

Mr. Fleming you are a true gentleman I don't think I could have been that nice. Without you Brady and his sister would have folded like a cheap card table .

Your name is far more important then the US Open. Looking forward to your Tournament in October.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I don't think it is completely fair to just insult them. Their father as done a lot for pool an while he did have his quirks, the US Open was an annual event for me and I had a great time at everyone I went too (even the one at the Holiday Inn after it left the Conference Center).

Part of the fun for me during the Open was not only the tournament, but also shooting a ton with friends and sweating action back at Q Master. The Behrman's have a fantastic poolhall that I love hanging out in.

I am sad that the Open is moving to Vegas, but it will definitely be better overall for the game and players. Im happy to hear that Pat will be running a new event in the place of the old Open an that will become my new annual event and I will be able to hang at Q Master again, provided the Behrman's keep it.

I hope the players find somewhere else to play other than Q masters, cause of their lack of respect. I, for one, would not give them a single cent of my money. Karma is a m'f'er
Jason

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Fleming...You're an icon in the industry, and have been a mover & shaker for decades. Probably more players have learned more about playing from Accu-Stat videos than all the instruction put together...and this coming from a professional instructor!...and now your on-demand video is even better! Thanks for all the great tournaments you have promoted or helped promote through video recording and streaming, over the past 40 years! :thumbup:

Thanks personally, for helping my friend and fellow instructor, Lance Cowles, get a chance to do some Accu-Stats one pocket commentary at the DCC this year. He did a great job, and we both hope it leads to more opportunities for Lance with you! :thumbup:

It's sad that you were disrespected by Barry's children, and Matchroom. You can sleep well at night knowing you personally saved the US Open 9ball tournament from a sure death. Don't let the "diss" get to you, and best wishes for this new international event that you have planned for next fall! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Are you still going to do the International U.S. Open? Would really miss the East Coast penultimate tournament opportunity...I still think you could pull it off...:)

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Despite saving the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships for the last three years, and after hearing the published news about Matchroom taking control over the Open, I’ve not heard a peep from the Behrmans or Matchroom regarding the development; not a phone call, not an email, not a text, not a voice mail, or a Facebook post, but I can’t hold it in any longer.

I think the acquisition of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships by Matchroom is the best thing that’s happened to pool in a very, very long time! I hope it survives many years because it will benefit the entire billiards industry immensely. It will also inspire countless talented individuals to pursue their dreams, and the sport will only grow from there.

In the meantime, I will continue to promote pool as best I can.

Pat Fleming

Kindness nobler ever than revenge.
William Shakespeare

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite saving the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships for the last three years, and after hearing the published news about Matchroom taking control over the Open, I’ve not heard a peep from the Behrmans or Matchroom regarding the development; not a phone call, not an email, not a text, not a voice mail, or a Facebook post, but I can’t hold it in any longer.

I think the acquisition of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships by Matchroom is the best thing that’s happened to pool in a very, very long time! I hope it survives many years because it will benefit the entire billiards industry immensely. It will also inspire countless talented individuals to pursue their dreams, and the sport will only grow from there.

Pat Fleming

Pat, as always, you show nothing but class. On one hand, I'm very happy for pool in general with Matchroom taking over but on the other hand the way it came about seems a little shady.

I'm glad I will always have the memories of working with you on the last 2 Opens with Barry, we had a lot of good times. Can't wait for your tournament in October, I will be there with bells on to support it and you!

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat,

You've been instrumental in keeping pool's head above water over the past few decades and that's something we're all grateful for! I also think you got the US Open back to the realm of respectability a few years ago and we're also grateful for that.

I stopped going to the Open about 4 years ago as I refused to put another dime in Barry's hand. I thought he was one of the shiftiest business people I'd ever seen and his behavior did nothing to change that opinion.

Now that Hearn and Matchplay has taken over the US Open, I can see how this might help the game in this country. I also think your event, Pat, will begin a new tradition in US pool. Because of that, I plan to support it by returning this year.

Thanks for showing far more class than you've been shown, Mr Fleming!

Brian in VA

Tarheel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat,

The crowd from Winston-Salem is looking forward to going to your tournament in October and we thank you for continuing to put on a great show.

See you in October,

David Bryant

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pat Fleming

Pat, you are to pool what Vin Scully is to baseball. Pure class. I love your VIMEO subscription deal, and I can hardly wait till you get all those older matches posted. Best of luck to your new tournament, and I'm sure I'll be watching it.

A45GUNNER

Registered
US Open

What can we say about Mr. Fleming that has not already been said? He has elevated our sport & brought us great matches for years. He is always trying to promote pool & always has the fans interest at heart. We thank you again sir, & wish you continued support in all of your endeavor's!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Pat Fleming
Thanks for everything you do, Pat. Keep doing what you’re doing!

Freddie

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member

Pat Fleming

Pat it is sad that things happened the way they did but you have added another world class event to the USA and that is great for pool.

Thank you for all that you do in the pool world leading the way as always.

BigDennis

Pat Fleming not only is a great blessing to all of us pool affection adios that we all Love. If you aren't aware of the following, now you are, Pat Flemming is a Great Around, All Games, Pool Player. Pat used to play on the tour. I hope Barry Hearndon Works with Pat for many reasons all us old pool family guys and gals want around cause we admire Love Pat Flemming. I bought my first tapes from Pat back in like1984, have a good size collection of matches that I love. Go to Pat for the best matches.Peace everyone. BigDennis D.C.Cues.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks to Pat for everything he has done and continues to do for pool.

Matchroom's acquisition of the US Open is, as Pat suggests, exciting and let's hope that the players work with Barry Hearn, rather than in an adversarial "I/we want it this way or I/we won't participate" manner.

Matchroom's great success is due to giving the spectators (live and on internet) what they want, whether it's what the players prefer or not. That's why Matchroom draws more spectators than any other producer of pool events.

The American players, who so often take the adversarial path, need to check their egos at the door to ensure that Barry Hearn, who can pull the plug on this event at a moment's notice, has a positive experience in producing this event. If they don't, the US Open remains on the path toward extinction.

Finally, the Behrmans developed and grew this event, and they will always be part of its history, but their day has come and gone and I don't see it as necessary for them to weigh in on any of these developments. Their place in history is assured and we should all be grateful to them for their contribution to our sport. .... but, in the words of the great Greek philosopher Herodotus, the past is history.