Mosconi's high run and could the previous generation compete today

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Get a big prize it will be broken in a short time if by no one other than the chineese. They got skills for sure and we do not know the depth of the quantity of people playing pool in China/Tiawan. There are also great players in the USA and Eaurope who could do the the same like I said if there was a large prize. I do not expect such a prize to materialize anytime soon.

That being said I think the 526 will be beaten within 10 years on video because the game is being played more and talked about more and while it might not be a a mainstay tourney game with lots of events. I feel many of the elite players are practicing the game and can put out the 100+ run on the current tough equipment. I have the score sheets for DCC many of the elite players are running a 100 once or more in a single ticket at the Derby. Ralph ran 2 great numbers this year in less than a single ticket he did not take all his innings. Players are running balls on tough equipment, not sure they are great 14.1 players the strategy of today's players would probably not hold up to players of old but as far as running balls even on tough equipment today's players are at a high level.

People talk about Mosconi and his greatness. I wish I had seen him play, i did not. I have seen some video but all i have seen is either trick shots or stuff from later in his career no good video of him in his prime in actual competition. Without doubt he was great and his run 526 on whatever table was great actually super awesome. But that was the game of the day and he was actually paid a very good salary to tour around run pool balls, he wanted to run a 100 in each of his appearances and almost invariably he came with the run usually stopping at a 100 and going over to his trick shot show.

Now if we paid Neils or Ralph or John S a similiar wage probably $5k+/week these days I think they would all be able to come with a daily 100 pretty much on command, similiar to Mosconi. Just my opinion I think Mosconi was a very elite player head and shoulders above the players of his day plain to see from his tourney record he crushed players in long events pure dominance. But notice he did not play short sessions the super long format guaranteed the best to win. He was the best of his era. Not all players were allowed to play, It was invitational and short fields. We have the opposite today large field if you got the entry you can play. Rotation games to a short number 7,9, 11 whatever the best is not guaranteed to win any race or any event. Mosconi in a match to 1000 points was pretty safe and he put together a record of dominance. He has the highest recognized run. I know he was the real deal and he would have loved the modern equipment, all of the great players from back in the day would have loved this new equipment. They knew alot and did not share the knowledge like people do today. We have lessons, books, DVD's Youtube etc. People today play great and we have a lot less players there was pool room on every corner back then not so much today.

I think the 526 will be beaten and sooner than most think. Myself I will accept any run on video as being a new record no matter if the BCA or WPA or whoever recognizes it. Video will be proof enough for me.

Personally I wish Marop would get some fresh cloth and get John S to play 5-6 hours a day for 2,3 or 4 months on his Metro 9' table. I think the 526 could potentially be done by John if he decided to focus on it for a couple of months or more. I have seen him rain 100's like water on very tough equipment. Marops table is looser than a DCC Diamond so a lot more true straight pool shots can be played. I think John would very easily be 100+ every day (multiple times every day), 200+ every week and 350+ every month. Just my opinion would not take long for John to run a huge number. He has no reason to dedicate himself to such an effort but if he wanted it he could run that number and more.

If John doesn't do it himself that record will be beaten by someone from Euope or South East Asia and mark my words it will be done on video and sooner than you think and i say that because it is being practiced and videoed more than it being played as competition. More 14.1 is played today than 10 tears ago the game has returned I travel quite a bit and I see it played in pool rooms, practiced and taught. We have alot of that to thank Mr Bob Jewett and Greg Sullivan for the DCC event since then a few other events emulate that event. Bob spent alot of his own money sponsoring the high run event and Greg/Diamond along with others since then has stepped up to sponsor the DCC high run event and playoff tourney. Such an event will be the impetus of the practicing player who will eventually run the big number and hopefully it will be caught on video for all to see. I think it would be great for it to happen at the DCC or perhaps one of the other high run events lending that "official status" to the run. I do not expect that as the equipment at the Derby is usually pretty tough. All of those DCC 100+ runs are truly worthy of respect.

14.1 is the best 1 person practice game. Get a camera, run some balls maybe you can beat the Mosconi record if not I promise you will learn more about the balls than you ever did playing short rack rotation games.
I know it's 5 years ago but the man deserves recognition for more or less predicting the future.

Any thoughts on the Powerball numbers?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's 5 years ago but the man deserves recognition for more or less predicting the future.

I saw where a guy hit the lottery with numbers he got from a fortune cookie. Eat more Chinese takeout.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The corners at the 2013 DCC 14.1 Challenge were 4 1/2". In contrast, 4 3/4" - 4 7/8" was typical in the Golden age.

Old thread

They had 10 foot tables at Smith’s Billiards in Springfield, MA in The 80’s. They had 5” pockets.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought the same when I read that post:thumbup:
nice call elvi.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best evidence of this is what happened when they put today's top players on a 10 foot table at the 2013 Derby City Challenge. Each player gets 16 chances for $100 dollars.

The "old timers" originally played the game on a 10 foot table. I'm not sure what Mosconi's high run on a 10 foot table was but Crane ran 300.

For the week, with the world's top players taking a run at it, only one player got to 100 balls on a 10 foot table and that was snooker player Stuart Pettman with a run of 117.

The world's best couldn't get to half of Crane's high run, in fact only one guy got to 1/3 of Crane's 300.

If you thought Mosconi's 526 on an 8 foot wasn't legitimate because the table was too small, get on a 10 foot and run 300.

Realistically:: what did you expect when todays players play a game when taking more than 9 shots in a row is "not going to happen very often".

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
today and yesterday

Unlike many things, as people got bigger and presumably smarter, pool got easier to play. Anyone that claims differently has never played on a five by ten with deep cloth and clay balls in a room without air conditioning.

Yesterday's players had to constantly adapt, unlike most of us in the US today. I went into a new pool hall with crap tables. Cross side banks were about four inches short. I could have adjusted but decided the hall wouldn't be there long enough to bother. I was right. I went back to nice AC, well kept Diamonds, and good lighting. Most US players are like me, we expect very nice conditions today. If we went back to Willie's time we would struggle to adapt. Most of today's pro's would be playing at the same level in a couple years. If yesterday's players came to today they would gobble up these wonderful conditions. Maybe take them six months to play at the same level they did before.

When it comes to the record, neither Willie or anyone else I have heard of put the kind of effort into getting it that john did. Almost immediately john asked fellow 14.1 players not to try to knock him off his pedestal for a year. Seems to indicate he thinks his record could be broken fairly easily. Could yesterday's players who played 14.1 almost daily have beaten john's record on the same table? I think a handful could have. Put $25,000 up for a prize and I think some of the old players would crash the record within a week! Few if any of today's players have the 14.1 skills that come with playing only 14.1 for years. A double handful probably could have been great straight pool players, Shane comes to mind, but they would have to devote real time and effort to it.

I don't think US players today are a bit better than they were in Willie's day. The biggest reason being that the game and equipment hasn't exercised the advantages today's players might have.

Hu

PS: A question for someone that knows; what did the old clay balls weigh typically? I sure remember them playing heavy!

Edit: Just repeated what I said years ago. Obviously my opinion remains the same!

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

ImpossibLe to wade through this never ending debate, it’s apples and oranges. Just like when Barry Bonds broke Hank
A‘s record, he was on steroids. When Hank broke Ruth’s record he was playing in Atlanta with the short left field fences. Unless you could duplicate the EXACT playing circumstances these records being broken doesn’t mean a whole lot. When Mosconi these exhibitions, he played on what was there before him in a coat and tie and dress shoes not the most comfortable outfit to be trying to set or break someone else’s record, yet he still ran the 526 in 2 hours and twenty minutes.

I think John took over 4 hours to run just a hundred more. They are both great players just leave it at that.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny to go back and read some of these comments, but the oddest thing was there isn’t one comment by Danny or his alter ego. I think maybe he cares more about dissing JS than promoting/discussing 14.1.