How to find out, how far away is your high run goal .

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started the thread, because before I had no clue how far I am away from my goal and what steps I would have to take to get there. I thought I am already a good enough player to shoot 100, no idea why I never came close. I shot 2 60+ last year in a tournament, my high run is about 74. I had multiple matches with an average score over 10 (like match to 125 in 10-11 innings or match to 100 in 8 innings). I had no clue where I stand on the path to 100.

Now I know the milestones needed to get there and I can measure my process and see where I am standing and how fast I am moving. I have an understanding now, that it's not about shooting some random 61 balls once, but shooting 60 regularly, its about the number of attempts on average. I know now what level of play I have to deliver every training session to be a player that can shoot 100.

I know now that I am not good enough yet to shoot 100, but I can calculate, how much worse I am and have a way to measure how much better to get.

I will work on my goal and keep track of my success and can keep you posted if you are interested. I will definitely post my video of my first 100 no matter if you are interested or not :D

This will be such a high achievement - especially on my tough practice table - i will let the whole world know when I reach it :D
Since you mentioned it, just curious as to the specs of your practice table? Corner pocket mouth measurements, side pocket mouth measurement and corner pocket facing angle degrees?

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, if you can only succeed 1/4 of the time, it gets much tougher. Then, your chances are (1/4)^7, or about 1 in 16,384.

This post (and its predecessor from SJM suggesting that a 1/3 guy has a shot), together with the following statement from Kanzzo in one of his posts - “And it depends on the amount of concentrated training and attempts you put in” - got me thinking.

I am among those who have 100 balls as a goal. I am a quite a ways off, and have a lot of improvement to do. I have long been aware of the importance of developing good fundamentals, and doing drills, in order to get better. Yet, running of balls is enticing, and I have been rationalizing that I can effectively combine running balls and working on discrete areas needing improvement - from pre-shot routine to grip pressure to stroke mechanics to shot selection, etc., etc. But this approach, I think, is lacking, for two reasons.

First, there is a certain numbing effect associated with racking and running and missing, and re-racking and missing, and re-racking and running and missing - over and over. While I am trying to concentrate effectively each and every inning, I know that at some point, in some way, my concentration just isn’t always what it can be and needs to be. So, one thing that I need is to have a higher percentage of what Kanzzo called “concentrated attempts.” One way to do this is to simply impose a limit on the number of innings that I will attempt during any one session, or during any one block of a session. But here’s a different way that occurred to me, and it was prompted by SJM’s comments about the odds of getting to 100 if you are running a rack (and leaving a break ball) 1/3 vs. 1/4 times (and how starkly different those odds are).

After practicing for a session the other night with a purpose of recording the frequency of running the opening rack (and leaving a good break shot), and happening to experience, during that session, several misses that were “classic” ones for me - shots that I should make but am uncomfortable with - I decided to do this: if I succeeded in running a rack (and leaving myself a good break shot) 1/3, I earned the privilege of attempting another three innings to do the same. If I failed, my task became either (a) making ten in a row of whichever miss (of the three misses that I just had) I know to be a weak spot for me, or (b) executing well, ten times, some shot that I had failed to execute well during a run (usually a speed issue), leading to the end of that run. Only after this work can I go back to another set of three attempts at running balls.

As I was told some time ago by an excellent instructor, if you don’t have that shot, you need to get that shot. I haven’t forgotten that advice, but I also haven’t taken it to heart as much as I should. I also have in my head Ray Martin’s wise counsel to set up and repeat, multiple times, the exact same shot when trying to master it. I have become sick and tired of too many runs ending as a result of missing or misplaying one or another of the handful of shots that are my nemeses, and it is clear to me that I need to take time out to master them. This approach allows me to do that without giving up the fun of running balls, all in the same session.

Last edited:

kanzzo

hobby player
if I succeeded in running a rack (and leaving myself a good break shot) 1/3, I earned the privilege of attempting another three innings to do the same. If I failed, my task become either (a) making ten in a row of whichever miss (of the three misses that I just had) I know to be a weak spot for me, or (b) executing well, ten times, some shot that I had failed to execute well during a run (usually a speed issue), leading to the end of that run. Only after this work can I go back to another set of three attempts at running balls.

As I was told some time ago by an excellent instructor, if you don’t have that shot, you need to get that shot.

thank you for sharing. I think it's a great way to improve one's training.

Yes, this is the biggest task to find out where your weaknesses are and what stops you from running a rack 1/3 - and then find a way working on these weaknesses to eliminate them. Wish you the best for shooting your first 100

kanzzo

hobby player
Since you mentioned it, just curious as to the specs of your practice table? Corner pocket mouth measurements, side pocket mouth measurement and corner pocket facing angle degrees?

For azbilliards forum standard my table seems very average. But in my area almost everyone plays on 5 inch pockets. So here my table looks tough. My 60,61 and 73 I shot on a 5 inch pocket table. My high run on my practice table is 54.

My practice table is a 9 foot GC V tournament edition with 4.5 inch pockets.
Table Difficulty Factor 1.00

pocket mouth 11.4 cm (4.48 inch) (PSF 1.00)
side pocket mouth 12.5 cm (4.92 inch)
pocket throat 9.7 cm (3.82 inch)
mouth throat difference 1.7 cm (0.66 inch) (PAF 1.02) this makes for 141° pocket facing angle
pocket shelf depth 3.3 cm (1.30 inch) (PLF 0.98)