Newbie needs advice

uscpsycho

Registered
Hello!

Years ago I almost bought a pool table and did a ton of research about pool tables (based on my join date, must have been 2014). I know there are a lot of factors to consider and I've forgotten all of it: surface types, number of pieces, surface thickness...

I'm back in the market for a pool table but this time I have my sights set on a specific pool table and if it's a good table I won't spend any time shopping around or re-educating myself. I would really appreciate it if I can get some pros and cons of this specific table - https://www.amazon.com/Minnesota-8-...11c06036315c9e36efed2675919927&language=en_US

I'll be getting it from a different vendor for $3500 but I posted the Amazon product page because some of the photos show the table's construction which may be useful to the advice I'm seeking. Additional info from the other vendor that is not on Amazon "Coordinating, embossed leather pockets with riveted nets match the look of the table and profile of the rail. The Diamond Pearl Sites are seamlessly inlaid into each of the rails for precision aim capabilities."

I love this style and if there aren't any red flags I'll buy it, but if there are I'll have to expand the scope and start learning about pool tables all over again. Would really love it if I could get some feedback on this table.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello!

Years ago I almost bought a pool table and did a ton of research about pool tables (based on my join date, must have been 2014). I know there are a lot of factors to consider and I've forgotten all of it: surface types, number of pieces, surface thickness...

I'm back in the market for a pool table but this time I have my sights set on a specific pool table and if it's a good table I won't spend any time shopping around or re-educating myself. I would really appreciate it if I can get some pros and cons of this specific table - https://www.amazon.com/Minnesota-8-...11c06036315c9e36efed2675919927&language=en_US

I'll be getting it from a different vendor for $3500 but I posted the Amazon product page because some of the photos show the table's construction which may be useful to the advice I'm seeking. Additional info from the other vendor that is not on Amazon "Coordinating, embossed leather pockets with riveted nets match the look of the table and profile of the rail. The Diamond Pearl Sites are seamlessly inlaid into each of the rails for precision aim capabilities."

I love this style and if there aren't any red flags I'll buy it, but if there are I'll have to expand the scope and start learning about pool tables all over again. Would really love it if I could get some feedback on this table.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Save your $$ and look for a used Gold Crown. Most home tables are built 'ok' and that's about it. You can get a good GC for about same amount or less.

uscpsycho

Registered
Save your $$ and look for a used Gold Crown. Most home tables are built 'ok' and that's about it. You can get a good GC for about same amount or less.

You may be missing the point. I *WANT* this table because of the logos carved into the table. If it's on the pricey side, that's OK as long as it is a quality table. I just don't want to spend this kind of money on junk.

As a major USC fan with quite a few USC-related features in my house, this is going to be a conversation piece as much as anything else. And it's also the centerpiece of my den so form is as important as function.

If it isn't obvious, I'm a very casual player. Can't remember the last time I played but I'm sure I'll play more if I actually have a pool table in my house. I don't need the "best" pool table for the money but from my previous research, I know there are a lot of crappy tables out there and I'm trying to avoid buying crap. A lot of times, when companies put logos on products, they are sub-par products and I don't want to fall into that trap.

Let's say I buy a Gold Crown, for my education, what would be the benefit other than price? Thank you.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be missing the point. I *WANT* this table because of the logos carved into the table. If it's on the pricey side, that's OK as long as it is a quality table. I just don't want to spend this kind of money on junk.

As a major USC fan with quite a few USC-related features in my house, this is going to be a conversation piece as much as anything else. And it's also the centerpiece of my den so form is as important as function.

If it isn't obvious, I'm a very casual player. Can't remember the last time I played but I'm sure I'll play more if I actually have a pool table in my house. I don't need the "best" pool table for the money but from my previous research, I know there are a lot of crappy tables out there and I'm trying to avoid buying crap. A lot of times, when companies put logos on products, they are sub-par products and I don't want to fall into that trap.

Let's say I buy a Gold Crown, for my education, what would be the benefit other than price? Thank you.
You're wanting a piece of furniture to throw stuff on. This is probably what you're after. A Gold Crown is a world-class POOL table for playing pool on. Big difference. For casual, every now-n-then use any pool table will do.

uscpsycho

Registered
You're wanting a piece of furniture to throw stuff on. This is probably what you're after. A Gold Crown is a world-class POOL table for playing pool on. Big difference. For casual, every now-n-then use any pool table will do.

This is exactly the kind of response I was afraid I'd get when I posted here.

Can someone else please provide some info specific to the table I have in mind without the snobbery? That was my original question, still unaddressed.

Thank you. :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is exactly the kind of response I was afraid I'd get when I posted here.

Can someone else please provide some info specific to the table I have in mind without the snobbery? That was my original question, still unaddressed.

Thank you. :smile:
Ok, how's this: i've been playing pool for over 40yrs and have NEVER heard of "Holland Bar Stool. Co." Sounds like a typical "home table" in that they aren't designed or built for serious and/or heavy play. Most have lightweight frames, thin slate and iffy cushions. I wouldn't spend $500 on it much less $3500. Your call.

uscpsycho

Registered
Ok, how's this: i've been playing pool for over 40yrs and have NEVER heard of "Holland Bar Stool. Co." Sounds like a typical "home table" in that they aren't designed or built for serious and/or heavy play. Most have lightweight frames, thin slate and iffy cushions. I wouldn't spend $500 on it much less $3500. Your call.

You've never heard of the company and so you're making all kinds of assumptions about the table. Does not help me.

This table has 1" slate so you clearly didn't look at anything other than the manufacturer name.

If anyone can offer a real opinion about this table without snobbery and snark, I'd really appreciate it! I hope you guys don't treat all newcomers this way. Maybe you do, that's just in the DNA of some forums, and if so I won't get any help from anyone here. :(

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Id suggest you take a look at what is available in your area and then have some custom stickers made.

LOTS of people have tables in their houses that the just want gone and would be happy to get a couplea hundred out of the removal.

All table will likely need to be knocked down, moved and set up.

Call your local mechanic for that price...and ask if he's got a line on anything decent.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've never heard of the company and so you're making all kinds of assumptions about the table. Does not help me.

This table has 1" slate so you clearly didn't look at anything other than the manufacturer name.

If anyone can offer a real opinion about this table without snobbery and snark, I'd really appreciate it! I hope you guys don't treat all newcomers this way. Maybe you do, that's just in the DNA of some forums, and if so I won't get any help from anyone here. :(
You're asking for opinions and you got a couple you don't like, so you're going to start calling people out for being snarky?

It sounds like you already have it figured out anyway. Go spend a few thousand on POS table because it has USC logos in it. It's your money.

Sounds like a well thought out plan.

I always marvel at people who get all wrapped up in fandom over a certain team, band, performer...whatever it is. Especially when that person is over the age of 14.

It strikes me as a sort of mental illness. You probably scream at the TV a lot on Saturdays, right?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a video from the company: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=96&v=be5gEXFGt6k

It is a barstool company that also makes logoed pool tables. They have basically one model of pool table. It could be a nice table, but unless someone posts with direct experience, it's an unknown. It appears to be made in the US.

They do provide a lifetime warranty (residential use) against the cushions going bad.

If you only play a few times per year with family and friends it will probably serve the purpose.

You can get cloth with the team logo printed on it, I see. The cloth is a worsted Hainsworth, which is a known major cloth maker.

You could try calling the company and talk to them about it.

A major issue is who is going to be doing the installation. If you go with the low-ball Amazon price, I imagine Lefty (there was an unfortunate slate accident) and Blinky will show up for some on-the-job training.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're asking for opinions and you got a couple you don't like, so you're going to start calling people out for being snarky?

It sounds like you already have it figured out anyway. Go spend a few thousand on POS table because it has USC logos in it. It's your money.

Sounds like a well thought out plan.

I always marvel at people who get all wrapped up in fandom over a certain team, band, performer...whatever it is. Especially when that person is over the age of 14.

It strikes me as a sort of mental illness. You probably scream at the TV a lot on Saturdays, right?
Tables like that in 8ft. can be found all over for $2,200-2,500. There basically charging a grand+ to rout in the logos.

uscpsycho

Registered
Here's a video from the company: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=96&v=be5gEXFGt6k

It is a barstool company that also makes logoed pool tables. They have basically one model of pool table. It could be a nice table, but unless someone posts with direct experience, it's an unknown. It appears to be made in the US.

They do provide a lifetime warranty (residential use) against the cushions going bad.

If you only play a few times per year with family and friends it will probably serve the purpose.

You can get cloth with the team logo printed on it, I see. The cloth is a worsted Hainsworth, which is a known major cloth maker.

Thank you Bob. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. I appreciate you taking a few minutes to take a look at the table and share your thoughts about it.

toddgator

Registered
You don't have to base your table purchase on the logo that's on the table when you buy it. Felt is easily replaced by a table mechanic so if you're going to buy a table and have it installed in your house (or wherever) I'd suggest getting a good table first and foremost and then order felt with whatever design or logo you prefer to put on that. There's all kinds of crazy felt designs out there these days. Not many of them will play as well as a Simonis, Champion, or other tournament level felt, but if a specific design is what you have in mind there's all sorts of stuff out there and you'll be able to find what you want. Most mechanics can order specific cloth for you from whatever vendors they're associated with or you can purchase your own and have them install it for you. Depends on the mechanic and what they're willing to do. Just be up front with them about what you're looking for.

One thing I'd point out with regard to the type/brand of table you end up going with is that if you get something like a Gold Crown the advantage there is that you'll be more able to recoup more of your investment should you decide you don't want the table any longer down the road. Gold Crown tables are going to sell for more on the used market than anything else you're likely to find.

Ultimately, I'd say go with what you like, but if you care about such things like resell value I'd stick a Gold Crown like these guys have already suggested.

Actually, now that I'm looking closer I see where you're talking about the team stuff carved into the table. That you can't find on a GC. If that's the selling point for you and you're a casual player I'd say you'll probably be fine with that table.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Bob. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. I appreciate you taking a few minutes to take a look at the table and share your thoughts about it.
Also see my added comments.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Ultimately, I'd say go with what you like, but if you care about such things like resell value I'd stick [with] a Gold Crown ...
A huge issue with GCs is that many people, including some wives, think they are as ugly as sin. Pool players don't think that because they grew up on them and they are like family. Somewhat like your uncle Fester.

toddgator

Registered
A huge issue with GCs is that many people, including some wives, think they are as ugly as sin. Pool players don't think that because they grew up on them and they are like family. Somewhat like your uncle Fester.

Agreed! Which is the exact reason I haven't been able to convince the wife to let me bring one in our house yet. lol

uscpsycho

Registered
Tables like that in 8ft. can be found all over for $2,200-2,500. There basically charging a grand+ to rout in the logos.

Yes they are. It's just the nature of the beast with licensed products. Anything with a team logo is more expensive than the same thing without a logo. And sometimes it is worth it for those of us with a mental illness.

If these $2,500 tables are decent tables, then I guess this is a decent table with an upcharge for the team design.

You don't have to base your table purchase on the logo that's on the table when you buy it. Felt is easily replaced by a table mechanic so if you're going to buy a table and have it installed in your house (or wherever) I'd suggest getting a good table first and foremost and then order felt with whatever design or logo you prefer to put on that. There's all kinds of crazy felt designs out there these days. Not many of them will play as well as a Simonis, Champion, or other tournament level felt, but if a specific design is what you have in mind there's all sorts of stuff out there and you'll be able to find what you want. Most mechanics can order specific cloth for you from whatever vendors they're associated with or you can purchase your own and have them install it for you. Depends on the mechanic and what they're willing to do. Just be up front with them about what you're looking for.

One thing I'd point out with regard to the type/brand of table you end up going with is that if you get something like a Gold Crown the advantage there is that you'll be more able to recoup more of your investment should you decide you don't want the table any longer down the road. Gold Crown tables are going to sell for more on the used market than anything else you're likely to find.

Ultimately, I'd say go with what you like, but if you care about such things like resell value I'd stick a Gold Crown like these guys have already suggested.

I know I can get the logo felt and put it on any table, but this table has the logos carved into the wood. It is something a mentally ill person like me would really love to have in his home. But like I said, if it is pure crap (and it doesn't sound like it) I wanted to know.

I'm not worried about resale value. With the USC logos carved into it, I know it's only going to be appealing to others suffering from the same mental illness I have. So if I ever need to get rid of it I know I may not get anything for it.

Good advice regarding installation. Before I buy, I will find out who is doing the installation. And if it's not an expert I'll find someone who is to do the install. What kind of questions should I ask?

Considering where this table is going, this would be an issue for me as well. Probably another mental illness...

It's not going to be hidden away in a game room, it's going to end up being a centerpiece of the house in a room that is visible from all directions. And it's the main entertaining room.

Last edited: