Anyone Remember the Jansco Brothers Johnson City Ill, Post your photo's and stories.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hello Az, most of us like to talk about pool, and many pool players have some great stories. The problem with many of these stories and much of the memorabilia from Pool and Billiards past is that it is never documented, and it just fades away with the Great Players who lived it.

Johnson City and the Jansco Brothers played a very important roll in the History of this great sport. During the tournaments that were held from the 1960's through the 1970's Pool and Billiards was brought to the fore front of American society due to Television. During the events that were held in Johnson City many of the Most famous players of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's were first introduced to the American Public through news coverage. The Jansco Brothers were the first of many famous promoters, and due to this the general public was given an insight into the lives of some of the countries famous gamblers.

This post is designed to document the History of Johnson City, the Jansco brothers, and the great players who participated in the events. Please post any stories, photo's of Historical items, or other information concerning the Jansco Brothers contributions to the history of our sport.

Below are some of the items I have collected over the years, please feel free to down load the photos for your personal use.

The following programs, are from either tournaments located in Johnson City or promoted by the Jansco Brothers.

Program1.jpg

Program2.jpg

Program 3.jpg

This Banner was an item that hung in Jim Rempe's personal pool room for many years, the origin of the item I have been told came for the Movie the Baltimore Bullet, in which Jim was involved.

Banner.jpg

Below is my copy of the Baltimore Bullet, It is a great little movie that uses The Jansco Brother's (portrayed by actors) and Johnson city as a back drop. I am not certain at this time if the move was filmed at the Jansco Brothers Bar / pool hall.

Any additional in formation, photo's, or stories would be great

Movie.jpg

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
A timely post!

Did you know...

The Jansco Brothers have just been elected into the One Pocket Hall of Fame, and will be inducted (posthumously of course) at our annual dinner coming up in January at Derby City.

I have already spoken with George's daughter JoAnn, and she is excited about coming to this. Hopefully, our recognition is just a start, because these guys should also be condsidered very good candidates for the BCA in their Meritious Service category. Of course the BCA doesn't approve of the action side of pool, and we do :)

It was no coincidence that Johnston City was billed as the "Hustler's All Round".

Come on down to Louisville and join in the celebration!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went to Johnston City five times in the 60's. If you brought a camera in there, you might get shot. Most of these guys preferred to remain anonymous after the tournament was over. Even Conrad Burkman from the Billiard News had trouble getting photos of the players. They were not camera friendly to say the least.

I do have a copy of the 1967 program. The list of winners (from Johnston City and the Stardust) that you see now in many places was compiled by me many years ago. I felt that the winners of these tournaments should at least be recognized, so many years ago I set about piecing together all the winners of the various divisions. It took me several weeks of research and talking to dozens of players to figure out who won what and when.

I would be glad to post that list on here if you'd all like to see it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I went to Johnston City five times in the 60's. If you brought a camera in there, you might get shot. Most of these guys preferred to remain anonymous after the tournament was over. Even Conrad Burkman from the Billiard News had trouble getting photos of the players. They were not camera friendly to say the least.

I do have a copy of the 1967 program. The list of winners (from Johnston City and the Stardust) that you see now in many places was compiled by me many years ago. I felt that the winners of these tournaments should at least be recognized, so many years ago I set about piecing together all the winners of the various divisions. It took me several weeks of research and talking to dozens of players to figure out who won what and when.

I'd like to see it Jay if you'd be so kind. Johnnyt

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Please Post The Winners.

Yes, by all means post the winners. Talk about history, thanks in advance Jay!! :D

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

That would be great Jay, this is exactly what this tread is all about. Could you date the Programs I have pictured above? they only have months and days on them no years. I have also asked the Moderators to make this a Sticky thread, for future refference. Also post any pictures that you may have that relate to these events!!

Have a good night!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see the Johnson City Chamber of Commerce hold a big Tournament there, every year. I would hope that players would come, just like Derby City...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
That would be great Jay, this is exactly what this tread is all about. Could you date the Programs I have pictured above? they only have months and days on them no years. I have also asked the Moderators to make this a Sticky thread, for future refference. Also post any pictures that you may have that relate to these events!!

Have a good night!

5th Annual Program was from 1965. 6th Annual Program was from 1966. The Stardust program was an early one, probably 1965 or 66.

I have to find a way to post the full results of both events. Maybe I can FAX the list to someone and they can post it for me.

PIRANHA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J.c.

manwon said:

Have a good night!
I also have a cut up of one of the programs. Have a couple ticket stubs. If you wish I'll have a friend post the pic's LES

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to Sadie and Jo Ann (George's wife and daughter) almost every night back in the 70's.

Sadie owned and ran JJ's Ranch, a little bar between Johnston City and West Frankfort (where I lived). I played a lot of pool with Jo Ann's Husband......... and Sadie would go on and on with the stories.

Sadie died several years ago but played the horses till the end. Jo Ann and her husband still run a golf course right outside Johnston City Called the "Star Dust"

Here's a little page about George

http://untoldstoriesgeorgejansco.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeff said:
I talked to Sadie and Jo Ann (George's wife and daughter) almost every night back in the 70's.

Sadie owned and ran JJ's Ranch, a little bar between Johnston City and West Frankfort (where I lived). I played a lot of pool with Jo Ann's Husband......... and Sadie would go on and on with the stories.

Sadie died several years ago but played the horses till the end. Jo Ann and her husband still run a golf course right outside Johnston City Called the "Star Dust"

Here's a little page about George

http://untoldstoriesgeorgejansco.blogspot.com/

Doesn't he look like Doberman (?) from the Sgt. Bilko TV show? I always thought so.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Doesn't he look like Doberman (?) from the Sgt. Bilko TV show? I always thought so.

Lord, Jay, you've got to be 60 to even remember, Doberman. Man we are old.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
5th Annual Program was from 1965. 6th Annual Program was from 1966. The Stardust program was an early one, probably 1965 or 66.

I have to find a way to post the full results of both events. Maybe I can FAX the list to someone and they can post it for me.

Thanks Jay, those date help a lot!!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
ID these guys from the pit. Don't know what year.

It's a little out of focus, but it looks like Jersey Red sitting with Dotty and Joe Procita. And that's Danny Gartner over to the right.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
It's a little out of focus, but it looks like Jersey Red sitting with Dotty and Joe Procita. And that's Danny Gartner over to the right.

Took a better look. It's not Danny Gartner. I don't know who played with a hat besides Shorty. And this guy is too tall.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mick56 said:
This pic may be from 1961.

It has to be, the only year Fats played. Except he wasn't Minnesota Fats yet!

Johnny Vevis won that tournament and Fats was second.