Dream Challenge -Team USA v Team Russia (23-25 Sep2019) 9b/9ft. Winning team $15K

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
He doesn't play any events

And when he does... He doesn't win them. Bergman always seems to find a way to lose in the final 16 of any big event, which is basically the same sort of pressure as the Mosconi Cup. Corey, Billy, and Skyler (and now Tyler Styer..) have all won majors in the past few years, yeah?

So, the ability to win a race to 100 against another pro means diddly squat. Long races allow lax play, followed by hard play to catch up. In a major event, and the Mosconi, every single shot counts. THAT's what is missing out of Bergman's game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I feel if Max and Corey had an action match, the majority would bet on Corey....
....unless they played this game..:grin:

35C289DB-8B67-4575-8A9F-A9A118AE5829.jpeg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why is it for years now Bergman isn't even considered for the mosconi cup?

Bergman was given consideration a couple months ago. Bergman, Max Eberle, Chris Robinson, and Mahkael Parris played challenge matches in Las Vegas in July to determine which one of those 4 would join Thorpe, Deuel, and Styer as candidates for the 3 open team slots (along with the already chosen Van Boening and Woodward).

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/eberle-team-usa-contention-partypoker-mosconi-cup/

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Justin Bergman had all the chances but Max Eberle was better this time. When asked about the qualifying (you could check that at ABNbillliards facebook videos, Siekkinen vs Dudanets is the match he was in the booth) Max mentioned those 4 candidates played double round robin with the final between best two. So Eberle actually beat Bergman twice to earn his current position. JB is always there in contention, only he didn't prevail this time.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And when he does... He doesn't win them. Bergman always seems to find a way to lose in the final 16 of any big event, which is basically the same sort of pressure as the Mosconi Cup. Corey, Billy, and Skyler (and now Tyler Styer..) have all won majors in the past few years, yeah?

So, the ability to win a race to 100 against another pro means diddly squat. Long races allow lax play, followed by hard play to catch up. In a major event, and the Mosconi, every single shot counts. THAT's what is missing out of Bergman's game.

And isn't Bergman's record in long races not that great?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched a little of the Corey/Max match.

Are those heart rate monitors on the players? I have a hard time believing that's real. Gorst and Stepanov are just sitting and both are over 100.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And isn't Bergman's record in long races not that great?

Yet top tier players duck him over a 1/4 inch of pocket size!

Don't know Bergman, but I gained respect for him when he was stood up by Shaw.

I think he realizes what little pool has to offer a pro and has made a conscious decision to not be all in. When travel, lodging and entry fees exceed 3rd place payouts in a 128 man field, why bother?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think he realizes what little pool has to offer a pro and has made a conscious decision to not be all in. When travel, lodging and entry fees exceed 3rd place payouts in a 128 man field, why bother?

Shaw isn't really a great money player either.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He have a job?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin Bergman had all the chances but Max Eberle was better this time. When asked about the qualifying (you could check that at ABNbillliards facebook videos, Siekkinen vs Dudanets is the match he was in the booth) Max mentioned those 4 candidates played double round robin with the final between best two. So Eberle actually beat Bergman twice to earn his current position. JB is always there in contention, only he didn't prevail this time.

bergman has also played tyler and corey lately, and lost

CptBurbagio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane and Tyler play a strong match, winning 5-1 over Dudanets/Stepanov. Total score is 5-4, USA leading. Next match up is singles, Max Eberle vs Fedor Gorst.

CptBurbagio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! Mad Max wins a hill-hill thriller over Gorst, in what is surely an upset. Max broke on the hill to a rough layout, played a solid safe, Gorst missed the jump but it rolled back and totally hooked Max. Then Max hit a great kick just to make contact, and got some luck of his own as the two contacted another ball and went in. He completed a nervy runout for the victory.

This event is a great watch, btw. Stream is perfect, Jeremy Jones in the booth, and they even have heart rate monitors on the players so you get a sense of the physiological stress both sitting in the chair and at the table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
WOW! Mad Max wins a hill-hill thriller over Gorst, in what is surely an upset. Max broke on the hill to a rough layout, played a solid safe, Gorst missed the jump but it rolled back and totally hooked Max. Then Max hit a great kick just to make contact, and got some luck of his own as the two contacted another ball and went in. He completed a nervy runout for the victory.

This event is a great watch, btw. Stream is perfect, Jeremy Jones in the booth, and they even have heart rate monitors on the players so you get a sense of the physiological stress both sitting in the chair and at the table.

In the Kremlin Cup, Gorst beat Woodward 8-2 and Deuel 8-4. If Johan is paying attention, this victory by Eberle over Gorst will be judged to be a very big deal.

Well played, Max.

The case for Deuel is growing weaker and weaker, as he was 0-2 in singles a year ago at the Mosconi , losing to Ouschan 5-3 and Feijen 5-1. He lost to Alex Kazakis in the quarterfinals at the last World 9-ball Championships by 11-8. At the US Open, Corey fell to Jayson Shaw 11-1 and lost 11-2 to Miesko Fortunski, another one of Europe's best. After the drubbing by Fedor Gorst in the Kremlin Cup, Corey probably has much to worry about, as he continues to show little ability to beat the stars of European pool.

As a fan of Team USA, I want the guys who can fight the good fight against the top Europeans. In the past week, Eberle lost double hill to Ruslan Chinakhov and beat Fedor Gorst double hill.

Deuel is a better player than Eberle, but if we consider the last year alone, it's really hard to justify picking Corey over Max if Johan is basing Mosconi selection on performance.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Kremlin Cup, Gorst beat Woodward 8-2 and Deuel 8-4. If Johan is paying attention, this victory by Eberle over Gorst will be judged to be a very big deal.

Well played, Max.

The case for Deuel is growing weaker and weaker, as he was 0-2 in singles a year ago at the Mosconi , losing to Ouschan 5-3 and Feijen 5-1. He lost to Alex Kazakis in the quarterfinals at the last World 9-ball Championships by 11-8. At the US Open, Corey fell to Jayson Shaw 11-1 and lost 11-2 to Miesko Fortunski, another one of Europe's best. After the drubbing by Fedor Gorst in the Kremlin Cup, Corey probably has much to worry about, as he continues to show little ability to beat the stars of European pool.

As a fan of Team USA, I want the guys who can fight the good fight against the top Europeans. In the past week, Eberle lost double hill to Ruslan Chinakhov and beat Fedor Gorst double hill.

Deuel is a better player than Eberle, but if we consider the last year alone, it's really hard to justify picking Corey over Max if Johan is basing Mosconi selection on performance.
Shane looked really solid. Max was huge today. What a trooper. Played like the 'ol bare-knuckle boxer he looks like.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what match you're talking about but idt ANY have started yet. I thought they started noon edt but yesterday i didnt find abything til one ish