Tighter pockets

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a Gold Crown 3 AK and would like to have tighter pockets. I am awear of the shim to get tighter pockets but, some times the shimming looks very obvious. So do they sell oversized bumpers to allow trimming to get tighter pockets? I would like to have 4 or 4 1/4" pockets.
Thanks in advance

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The proper way to tighten pockets is to have the subrails extended. Mark Gregory would be the man to contact for this work and he is located in GA so not far from you. He posts here under PerfectPocketz and I think he has a website by that same name. Do a search on here for Mark Gregory and you will see lots of his work!

Another option here in FL is Mike House who posts here under his name. However, he currently has shoulder issues and may not be able to do the work for quite some time. He worked on my table and did a fantastic job.

You may want to re-think the 4" or 4 1/4" pockets. Pro-cut pockets at 4 1/2" are plenty fine!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll be making a mistake to make the pockets that small. You'll start hanging balls left and right, and nobody will want to play on your table with you. Keep them at 4.5". That's what the pros play on.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll be making a mistake to make the pockets that small. You'll start hanging balls left and right, and nobody will want to play on your table with you. Keep them at 4.5". That's what the pros play on.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Take it from a guy with 4 1/8". Don't go that small. Another vote for properly done 4.5".

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Take it from a guy with 4 1/8". Don't go that small. Another vote for properly done 4.5".

I have 4 1/8 on a 10'er and wouldn't change it for the world. Just make sure whoever does it, cuts the pocket angles so they will take a ball and not spit it out.
Jason

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 4 1/8" pockets done by Mark Gregory and I love it. My shelves are short. I would talk to Mark, he will help you with your decision based on what the table is mainly used for.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I just got a Gold Crown 3 AK and would like to have tighter pockets. I am awear of the shim to get tighter pockets but, some times the shimming looks very obvious. So do they sell oversized bumpers to allow trimming to get tighter pockets? I would like to have 4 or 4 1/4" pockets.
Thanks in advance

Expect to spend at least $1000 for new cushions and cloth from a good mechanic but it will be well worth it. Shims play terrible, that's a hack job.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I GOT A NEWS FLASH FOR ALL YOU TRAP POCKET LOVERS

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO HIT A BALL IN DEAD CENTER ON ANY SIZE OF POCKET

...and you'll learn position play much better on bigger pockets

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
My Diamond has 4 3/8' pockets...I achieved this by having Diamond use thicker pocket facings, vice adding shims. Any tighter would have required different subrails and much more $, so...4 3/8' is plenty tight, you gotta hit them mighty pure and it's really hard to shoot past interfering balls. Several tend to get hung up, too, and it can get frustrating sometimes when I'm not hitting them perfect, but I'm happy with the slightly smaller pockets. Then, when I'm on a Diamond with 4 1/2" pockets, it's like a bar box (not really, but you get what I mean ;) ).

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But in all seriousness, the size of your pockets depends on two things, the level you play at now and the level you want to play at. I vote for 4 1/4" pockets.. good for all games. IMHO

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
But in all seriousness, the size of your pockets depends on two things, the level you play at now and the level you want to play at. I vote for 4 1/4" pockets.. good for all games. IMHO

This man has the right size pockets, done correctly, on a beautiful table!

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes double or even triple shimming a table play bad? Next recover I planned on just putting the largest shims I could find because my gc is stock 5 inch corners. No idea how much mark Gregory cost but I'm sure it's way past my budget lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What makes double or even triple shimming a table play bad? Next recover I planned on just putting the largest shims I could find because my gc is stock 5 inch corners. No idea how much mark Gregory cost but I'm sure it's way past my budget lol

There have been many posts on it. For the purpose of tightening pockets, serious players are better off with new cushions cut properly to tighter specs. The cost is the issue.

My experience as a player is Gold Crown's shimmed won't hold a shot hit with even medium speed down the rail. You will find yourself having to slow roll many shots. So you basically have to change the way you play to match the table. Very frustrating and not optimal. If anybody saw the match between Shane and Earl on the 10 footer, that's what a shimmed table plays like. Shane was shaking his head the whole time as shot after shot fired near the rails jarred in the pocket.

I know it's expensive, but cushions last 20+ years on a home table. The extra $500 - $700 you might spend is worth it, even though it is costly. If you get somebody really qualified you will have a world-class playing table that should last a very long time.

Last edited:

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome response so realistically if I or anyone else ships their rails to a top mechanic and wants typical 4.5 pro cut pocket sub rail extension, new cushions (artemis/superspeeds) and reclothed with Simonis 860hr and the shipped back, what do you think the total cost would be?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Awesome response so realistically if I or anyone else ships their rails to a top mechanic and wants typical 4.5 pro cut pocket sub rail extension, new cushions (artemis/superspeeds) and reclothed with Simonis 860hr and the shipped back, what do you think the total cost would be?

I think you have the right idea there. I don't know what each charges currently or what your local charges are. Best to contact them. Just some advice, I would only send my rails to someone who is 100% reliable.

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's issue though, there are only a select few people in the US you can send your rails too and the shipping alone just to get them there and back is outrageous

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's issue though, there are only a select few people in the US you can send your rails too and the shipping alone just to get them there and back is outrageous

That's not as expensive as paying someone to rebuild your rails that really don't know what they're doing and paying for that, then not being happy with the end results;)