• open

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • closed

Votes: 45 48.9%

• Total voters

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I only use a closed bridge if I am forced into it.

my sight lines are much better with an open bridge..

I even power draw with an open bridge :cool::cool:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I used to have a problem using a closed bridge.
Maybe in part because I have smaller hands. It felt uncomfortable.
I forced myself to practice with a closed and will use it whenever possible.
More control when drawing, using English or need to put some serious spin on the ball.

I will use open when doing a difficult cut shot from across the table and need my line of sight to be as clean as possible.

I guess by now it just comes natural and I don't think about it too much.
The shot itself dictates closed or open and I naturally fall into it.

If I had to think about a percentage, I'd guess at 70% closed and 30% open most times.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
closed unless the table or situation calls for an open bridge. Cueball near the rail, or breaking with the cueball positioned near the rail where a modified two finger bridge can be very helpfull. I keep diffent types of bridges in My "toolbox" for different occasions.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Open bridge, unless (primarily) it's a power stroke. As mentioned, due to better sighting. I use the open bridge even more so during summertime when things get a little more sticky.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Closed, but want to convert to open. Most of the top players I see use an open bridge. I have larger than normal hands (my shaft is custom made to 14mm - anything smaller and I feel like I'm holding a pencil), so I think an open bridge will benefit me.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I didn't vote because I use both. Different shots call for different bridges. You have to recognize which bridge is best for the shot, and be comfortable using whichever one is called for.

Steve

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
I didn't vote because I use both. Different shots call for different bridges. You have to recognize which bridge is best for the shot, and be comfortable using whichever one is called for.

Steve

Best response yet. I started with a closed bridge and switched to open. Now it's mainly closed again unless the shot, calls for open.
Sounds confusing:confused:

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an open bridge as much as possible. If I'm not asking a lot of the cue-ball I stay with the open bridge.

On shots I'm asking a lot of the cue-ball, such as, long follow or draw shots I use a closed brigde so when I follow through my cue still stays as level as possible.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time, I counted up the number of different bridges I use rather regularly. About 70% of them are closed--and there are at least 17 different bridges I use regularly.

You end up using whatever brigde is appropriate for the shot at hand.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ditto...in pool school we teach 5 different bridges, used for different situations. Open and closed are most common...and good players swap back and forth all the time.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Steve

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I think the shot dictates the type of bridge. It would be a mistake IMO to only use one type of bridge.