AZ help !!! Shooting off the rail ???

doubleteersc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok ... I so I play a lot of one pocket and at times I find myself shooting off the rail with long table length shots. I'm having a problem missing them though. Usually to the long side. I have a solid bridge on the rail, level cue , and "choke up on the cue to shorten my stroke as well as just trying to roll the ball.
Now I also have a problem making shots when I roll them. I dont like to roll the ball to the hole and I know that sometimes in 1 hole thats the best choice.
So what areas of correcting this problem of making ball when softly rolling them would you trouble shoot to correct the problem?? :confused:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Rempe has the best advise for this problem....Do your normal preshot routine only when getting ready to shoot....look at the cueball LAST! not the object ball.

this also works well when shooting over a ball....
Gerry

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...

doubleteersc said:
Ok ... I so I play a lot of one pocket and at times I find myself shooting off the rail with long table length shots. I'm having a problem missing them though. Usually to the long side. I have a solid bridge on the rail, level cue , and "choke up on the cue to shorten my stroke as well as just trying to roll the ball.
Now I also have a problem making shots when I roll them. I dont like to roll the ball to the hole and I know that sometimes in 1 hole thats the best choice.
So what areas of correcting this problem of making ball when softly rolling them would you trouble shoot to correct the problem?? :confused:

you should be extremely sure that you are stroking straight and following through. Alot of people tend to not follow through on soft slow roll shots. They think by using a punch or soft hit is the key. This could not be farther from the truth. On the rail shots are actually some of my most consistent shots to make.

Gary

doubleteersc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But does'nt the path of the object ball change with the speed that you hit it ? I seem to get a very "true" path using dead center ball and a firm hit but then I do the same thing aim the same way and just "soften" the speed and the ball doesnt seem to take the same path ??

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doubleteersc said:
But does'nt the path of the object ball change with the speed that you hit it ? I seem to get a very "true" path using dead center ball and a firm hit but then I do the same thing aim the same way and just "soften" the speed and the ball doesnt seem to take the same path ??

Yeah, when you hit a ball soft you tend to get less of a forward push on the object ball. Just practice it.

Gary

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doubleteersc said:

Per Allison Fisher, also bend your left arm if you are right handed. Choking up is good.

If you are not making shots then it is an alignment problem.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
cloth and table roll

doubleteersc said:
Anyone else have some tips to help me out on this ??

Even "napless" cloth hooks in and out depending on which way you shoot and which way the cloth was put on the table. Before play shoot some very slow table length shots just aiming the cue ball at the corner pockets and trying to stop about six inches short. Closely watch the path all of the way.

It is obvious that shooting slowly brings the cloth and table much more into play however it is easy to overlook this. Things you never notice playing nine ball stick out like a sore thumb playing one pocket. Freddy the Beard does a good job addressing these things in his first book.

Hu

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My way to success off the rail is to make your normal bridge length shorter. If it is 10" or less you can shoot off most rails using the exact same bridge length. 10" may seem long but if you have a longer bridge than that it will seem like it is 4" long. Mark 10" on your cue and make sure your bridge length is that long or a little shorter.

Then when you shoot off the rail use the exact same stance and bridge length. Don't stretch, don't stand closer, do everything the exact same way and it will be just like any other shot.

A shorter bridge also gives more accurate english.

Many people think they can aim better with a long bridge but they lose accuracy because they don't hit the cue ball in the right spot.

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok...someone gave me this piece of advice years ago and has always worked for me......after you strike the cue ball, your cue stick should not extend past the original spot of the cue ball on the rail....so if the cue ball is about an inch off the rail, you should only use about a 3 inch stroke. This will shorten the stroke and give more accuracy.

Also, when on the rail, you might want to try to have the tip touching the felt of the rail, so you hit more of the cue ball. I try to lightly hit the rail when shooting at the cue....or through the rail..

Christian