What is the definition of a Professional Pool player

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I was just curious what people thought, in MO the fellow that runs the State tournament does not allow {pro's} to play. Where I am from there is a very good player (English Andy) he had a ranking in Snooker, in my view this would make him a pro, except he was allowed to play in our local State tournament. Well now that he has won he will not be allowed to defend his title, the owner reserves the right to not allow him to compete again for 5 yrs. after winning one time.

Thanks for winning we will see u in five yrs. wow - but this is how it works in MO, the owner is a smart business man but also eccentricly parainoid about Pocket Billiards. If a player makes his living hustling Pool out on the road (which I have attempted) does that make him a pro? In my outlook it does not, I believe you have to have a touring card - which would give you a way to establish a ranking. I have not been able to play snce I was 14. What yall think?

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just curious what people thought, in MO the fellow that runs the State tournament does not allow {pro's} to play. Where I am from there is a very good player (English Andy) he had a ranking in Snooker, in my view this would make him a pro, except he was allowed to play in our local State tournament. Well now that he has won he will not be allowed to defend his title, the owner reserves the right to not allow him to compete again for 5 yrs. after winning one time.

Thanks for winning we will see u in five yrs. wow - but this is how it works in MO, the owner is a smart business man but also eccentricly parainoid about Pocket Billiards. If a player makes his living hustling Pool out on the road (which I have attempted) does that make him a pro? In my outlook it does not, I believe you have to have a touring card - which would give you a way to establish a ranking. I have not been able to play snce I was 14. What yall think?

this is a very good question but i think this question should be posted in the \'"main forum" :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I don't agree with the way they are treating people in Missouri and I was born and raised there, I grew up in St.Louis. I now live in Washington State where I retired from the Military and I own a small Pool room. In my opinion if some one is playing at Pro-level, they should be handicapped accordingly. If their game is beyond a reasonable handicap they must be limited to how many times they can play a month. Deciding what the handicap and playing level of the players is up to the management holding the tournament, because there is no other standardized method Nation wide.

JIMO

Last edited:

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional Pool Player

Danny

I think the answer has many parts. 1. Is the individual ranked (In any group of pool, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, Snooker). 2. Does the individual have a full time job (not part time). 3. I think road players (that is how they make a living) is also a pro.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Danny

I think the answer has many parts. 1. Is the individual ranked (In any group of pool, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, Snooker). 2. Does the individual have a full time job (not part time). 3. I think road players (that is how they make a living) is also a pro.

Just my thoughts.

I have been out there on the road for months at a time, please keep in mind a true road player would generally stay away from tournaments. If you hustle pool for a living I would say that your not a pro. There is nothing professional about the lifestyle that goes along with being a road player. From my experience they generally do not clap when you win nor do they want your autograph. That is not to say that there could not be a profesional roadplayer, which is someone who conducts himself with some degree of integrity and is respectful towards his or her customers plus is a Champion $ player. This type of individual seems to be a thing of the past and was probably a very rare breed, as hustling pool was easier before all of the technology. Most of the road players who come through my hometown are there to pick on the weak and treat it more like a business than anything else. A true Pro knows he will have to play the best in a tournament and that is why he is there - to play the best and win.

Last edited:

AnthonyLewis208

I need to speak with the architect of this S-show!
Silver Member
?

Where are the pictures of the cues? This is about pool cues right? :confused:

Cue Gallery threads are suppose to have picutures people. :eek: If you could scratch n sniff them that would be even better!! :grin-square:

greytop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny: That's a tough question!!! It would seem that a person who MAKES HIS/HER LIVING through a occupation would be a professional in that field. You could also ask what occupation a person gives as his/her trade to the IRS to pay taxes. I know life sure isn't fair in all cases to certain people when it comes to billiards and events. Best of luck to you no matter what.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Webster's Dictionary says:

pro-fes-sion-al (pro fesh' a nal) adj.
Having to do with a job or profession; referring to or engaging in an occupation, usually a sport for money, rather than for fun.

If this applies to you, than I would say yes, you are a professional pool player...whether a tour player or road player.

Lisa

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Here's a picture...

I've played Danny with this cue.

pmafb.jpg

It only did so-so. :)