2 things that bug me in posts

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
I got some cheese!!!!:D:D:D:D

But while you're at it.....it's spelled TITLEIST....not titlist

Not in reference to the cues built by Brunswick. That is spelled without the "e".

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332719411155.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332719411155.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 355

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Really John. Personally (coma) I.

Don't you think that sounds more better.

Exactly my point....who has time to put commas where they should be and proofread when there are arguments to won?....on the internet someone is wrong......

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

It's both. I googled it a few months back and you find it spelled both ways in many different uses. It's not just a pool thing.

Titleist is the brand of golf ball while Titlist is the cue model. But the usage is the same for both spellings throughout sports.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Investors who were born with their money might be bothered by the poor spelling.

But I have a feeling that investors who earned their own money through life don't pay much attention to spelling when it comes to evaluating an individual.

You can have any feeling you want, just don't stalk me. You think a lot about what other people think.

Are you popular too ?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

"Titleist" is a brand name for golf equipment made by the Acushnet Company.

A "titlist" is someone who holds a competitive title. The brand name "Titlist" was chosen about 70 years ago by Brunswick for a line of pool cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh Jeezus.

I can't tell you how many teachers I have had to correct. Come off the high horse. Teachers aren't actually all that educated and typically function at about average regarding the subject at hand in my experience.

And then JB has a bug in his eye.....ROTFLMFAO! :D

You should strive to be very very very more gooder then.
Their is always room for improvement. Your getting better tho.

More better.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a member of AZ forums for awhile. I have finally had enough. I have to write about it. I know this is kind of nitpicking so therefore I must be a nit but....

1) Please posters, use the correct terminology in your posts. There are two organizations that have the letters BCA in them.
  • The BCA stands for the Billiard Congress of America and is currently a trade organization and keeper of the Hall of Fame. They also are/was involved in the making of the World Pool Association rulebook of which are often referred to as the BCA rules. Those are the rules that they endorse. They have nothing to do with leagues, junior program or directly with pro pool. As I said, they are a trade organization.
  • The other BCA letters that many posters refer to is the BCAPL. This is the league organization under the umbrella of CSI (Cue Sports International) owned by Mark Griffin. The letters "BCA" do not represent anything in the name and the PL stands for Players League. They use basic WPA rules but have made some changes with the rules so in essence they are the BCAPL rules, nobody elses. This is also true of the VNEA (Valley National Eightball Association) and APA. They have their own rules and specifictions. The BCA rules are not the BCAPL rules. I understand when posters say they play BCA that they are referring to the BCAPL, but I feel that not everyone does. I would just ask that posters use the correct organization when posting to eliminate any confusion.
2) This is more of a grammar complaint. Too many posters have a well thought out post that sometimes gets diminished in my eyes becasue of the word effect and what should be the word affect. As a kid, I learned the "RAVEN" mnemonic for these two words: Remember: Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun. Hope this helps others!
  • Effect: something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence:
  • Affect: to have an influence on or cause a change in
  • Please understand that I am not picking on anyone with these examples. I just wish they were grammatically correct. These are posts that drive me a little crazy. Just a few examples.
Does Table Size Effect Your Game? ... It should be; Does Table Size Affect Your Game. Yes..Table Size can affect your game. It can cause a change in your game. The consequence of table size is that you can miss more shots on a larger table than on a smaller table, which could be referred to as the table size effect.
" Tapper Roll"
Ok i see a lot of ppl saying this. "the cue has a little tapper roll" what the hell are you talking about???? If you roll a shaft and it wobbles, its warped.. the tapper of the shaft should not effect how it rolls in any way..
Once again the poster meant affect instead of effect. He is saying, Tapper roll will not affect how the shaft rolls. or The effect of tapper roll is nil.

Just a couple of examples about effect vs. affect. I agree that sometimes it is difficult to know which one to use. Please try anyway, your post will sound more knowledgeable, not only on this forum, but, also in life/business dealings. If I didn't explain it will enough, I am sure there are articles on it if googled.

Just my 2 cents. I've been a teacher too long and had to correct too many students of the usage.

wags
I really appreciate your post. I never knew there was a distinction between BCA and BCAPL...very helpful!

Incidentally, asking others to correct grammar and spelling will get you nowhere...:)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a member of AZ forums for awhile. I have finally had enough. I have to write about it. I know this is kind of nitpicking so therefore I must be a nit but....

1) Please posters, use the correct terminology in your posts. There are two organizations that have the letters BCA in them.
  • The BCA stands for the Billiard Congress of America and is currently a trade organization and keeper of the Hall of Fame. They also are/was involved in the making of the World Pool Association rulebook of which are often referred to as the BCA rules. Those are the rules that they endorse. They have nothing to do with leagues, junior program or directly with pro pool. As I said, they are a trade organization.
  • The other BCA letters that many posters refer to is the BCAPL. This is the league organization under the umbrella of CSI (Cue Sports International) owned by Mark Griffin. The letters "BCA" do not represent anything in the name and the PL stands for Players League. They use basic WPA rules but have made some changes with the rules so in essence they are the BCAPL rules, nobody elses. This is also true of the VNEA (Valley National Eightball Association) and APA. They have their own rules and specifictions. The BCA rules are not the BCAPL rules. I understand when posters say they play BCA that they are referring to the BCAPL, but I feel that not everyone does. I would just ask that posters use the correct organization when posting to eliminate any confusion.
2) This is more of a grammar complaint. Too many posters have a well thought out post that sometimes gets diminished in my eyes becasue of the word effect and what should be the word affect. As a kid, I learned the "RAVEN" mnemonic for these two words: Remember: Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun. Hope this helps others!
  • Effect: something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence:
  • Affect: to have an influence on or cause a change in
  • Please understand that I am not picking on anyone with these examples. I just wish they were grammatically correct. These are posts that drive me a little crazy. Just a few examples.
Does Table Size Effect Your Game? ... It should be; Does Table Size Affect Your Game. Yes..Table Size can affect your game. It can cause a change in your game. The consequence of table size is that you can miss more shots on a larger table than on a smaller table, which could be referred to as the table size effect.
" Tapper Roll"
Ok i see a lot of ppl saying this. "the cue has a little tapper roll" what the hell are you talking about???? If you roll a shaft and it wobbles, its warped.. the tapper of the shaft should not effect how it rolls in any way..
Once again the poster meant affect instead of effect. He is saying, Tapper roll will not affect how the shaft rolls. or The effect of tapper roll is nil.

Just a couple of examples about effect vs. affect. I agree that sometimes it is difficult to know which one to use. Please try anyway, your post will sound more knowledgeable, not only on this forum, but, also in life/business dealings. If I didn't explain it will enough, I am sure there are articles on it if googled.

Just my 2 cents. I've been a teacher too long and had to correct too many students of the usage.

wags

One thing that bugs me are posts with cryptic titles. Then you open it out of curiosity to find out you were sucked in to looking at what is irrelevant B.S.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone caught miss speling here is banned for a couple of weeks. Oops! see you in a few days.

blucollar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give the guy a break...you too would be pissed all the time if you had to live on a teachers salary

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
The letters in "BCA" of BCAPL do stand for "Billiards Congress of America" even though the BCA and the BCAPL are two different organizations.

bsarlo

B-Lock
Silver Member
I have been a member of AZ forums for awhile. I have finally had enough. I have to write about it. I know this is kind of nitpicking so therefore I must be a nit ...

Well, everyone has their pet peeves.

Grammar is not a huge one for me. Like JB said, we can all understand the intent, no need for vowels.

One thing that is kind of annoying to me is when someone quotes an entire, huge quote just to reference one small part of it. Delete. Delete everything but the part(s) you want to talk about. Remember that, when you quote someone, your post now contains a hyperlink to that quote. If someone wants to read the whole quote, they can just click on what little part you quoted. It will bring them right to the full quoted post. Then hit the back button and you're right where you were.

Most of the time it's no big deal, but some members like writing small essays. I know it's pretty easy to scroll past the quote. Sometimes it takes a while to get past the whole novel. It's just a pet peeve of mine and one thing that bugs me a little in posts.

EDIT- wrote this before I saw your post inside english. Was not directed at you specifically...:D...or macguy:p

Last edited:

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you come on complaining about people's grammar or knowledge of the English language, I really suggest freshing up on how to properly use the semicolon. 'It should be;...' is wrong, I do believe.

If you are an English teacher I would be very surprised that your stuff wouldn't be 100%. Too many commas was one of the things my teachers taught me, and then you go and put five in one sentance!

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Before you come on complaining about people's grammar or knowledge of the English language, I really suggest freshing up on how to properly use the semicolon. 'It should be;...' is wrong, I do believe.

If you are an English teacher I would be very surprised that your stuff wouldn't be 100%. Too many commas was one of the things my teachers taught me, and then you go and put five in one sentance!

Don't you mean 'sentence'? Hey! This IS fun.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I ask for a Kleenex when it really is just a normal facial tissue. I am sorry.