Light Cues- Why not more common?

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I used to use a 18.25oz EP with a 4.1oz shaft but it also works nicely with lighter shafts. theres no lack of power and a lot of people could not believe that it was that light. These days i favour the heavier cue because my stroke has become more compact and my style has changed significantly but i do believe that the weight is just a number. other factors like weight distribution and flex (stiffness) etc are more important..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got my new Tascarella.

It was customized by Pete Sr. to be very light using a combo of straight maple and Brazilian Rosewood.

The butt weighs 14.1 ounces and each shaft is 3.7oz for a total of 17.8. Shafts are 12.5mm.

It is just wonderful.

To me it seems that lighter cues have a lot of advantages, yet mostly you see cues that are 19.2 to 19.5 oz. I don't get it.

To me:

- A light cue has much more finesse. Much easier to do subtle little draws and follows

- It seems to get through the ball faster, allowing for more English especially on shorter shots than longer shots

- You can hit longer shots softer, especially on stop shots.

- They still have plenty of power because you can easily get a faster stroke with a lighter cue.

- Lighter cues are also easier to hold on to softly, reducing hand and arm tension..

- In the Tasc case, despite having a 1" ferrule, I think the combination of a light cue and 12.5mm shafts makes the cue surprisingly low in deflection -not a Z3 or Revo, but not very much deflection at all

Yet very few people us them. Almost all cues are 19-20oz, with the vast majority being 19-19.3, so that's what people want.

Pete said that after playing with my cue, he wanted to try a really light cue for himself.

Just curious why more people don't try light cues more often.
NEVER have liked light cues. My stroke is much smoother, less jerkier with a 19-20oz cue. I tried an 18oz once and only used it about 4-5times before selling.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
70's/80's when i could sort of shoot a little on barboxes, always looked for the lightest 56 -57" cue off the wall.

People started giving me cues, so i tried a range of (no name) customs, decided i did not like steel collar joints. Did like flat face wood - wood.

When i got back playing again 30 yrs later it was more on big tables, and decided i needed a 60" cue at 17.5. Made myself a cocobola and straight grain maple LD (drilled shaft) @59.5" & 17.8oz. & use that the past 3 - 4 yrs. Seems ideal to me, but i think a person should mix up the cue they shoot with from time to time. See what you go back to. Have some ideas for other sticks to try, as soon as i can stop working for a living even though i'm well past retirement and on SS. :)

I promised you a “catch up email” and I intend to soon. On my way across country delivering my last kid to Cornell. Four for four on that school!

Good school! - as you not doubt know, they have a half dozen 9' Brunswicks in their Billiards room, and several club teams. IC has another 6 ea, 9 footers in their student union. There's APA and NAPA leagues that play around town and at IC. I used to practice at Cornell, but IC is cheaper (free). :grin-square:

smt

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i prefer cues 19.5 and up

plenty of players,great filipino players use cues over 21 oz from time to time

light cues are a modern favorite of more people today,but even that seems to be chaging

i played with a 24 oz and played my best

my experience is that one pocket players prefer heavier cues as well

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I shoot for around 19 oz in my players, and since I like to switch it up most of the guest/house cues I have in the home room are that weight as well. I haven't been inside all of them but I think most have at least 1 oz weight in them that could come out if I simply wanted them lighter...but I don't.