Outrageous Ruling at Hard Times TADCUP

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you not read at all what I wrote? Player A is a level 9. Player B is a 7. Therefore, Player A spots Player B the 8 ball, which is what was announced, and is accurate. Player B defeated Player A with this handicap, and Player A didn't like it. So he asked the event promoter to not only change his rating SO THAT HE CAN GIVE THE LAST 2 INSTEAD OF THE 8, and it was granted. How have I not given all the facts? The TD did his job. Seems Player A is a friend of yours.

Since you got your info from Player B and the TD, but not player A, it seems that Player B may be a friend of yours, Chris. What's the difference?

You are acting as if all of your statements are iron clad, even after admitting that you weren't actually present for the situation. Is is so hard to believe that there are certain pieces to the story that may not have been disclosed to you?

The only way we will get the REAL story, is if Player A, Player B and the TD put it out to us from their own mouths (or keyboards)... I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen, as it seldom does in these situations.

Nobody is saying that you are wrong... they are merely bringing up the point that there may be more to the story... which is entirely possible.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Yes they do. A match in my last attended handicap event I lost 10-4. Me having to get to 11 and opponent 4. Where is the benefits of working your a** off at getting better for years? So you can spot more? I don't play handicap tourneys anymore. Nor do I think it is good for pool. It is just a way to scheme out a win.

Without handicapped tournaments, players will not have incentive to pay $50 to enter an event. Sure, handicapping sucks a lot of the time, and you get lots of sandbaggers, but the benefit outweighs the downside a lot. Beginners don't enter tournaments that aren't handicapped most of the time because they have zero chance. And the argument that they will learn from the better players is true, however they can't afford to donate to every event and play only 2 matches.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Since you got your info from Player B and the TD, but not player A, it seems that Player B may be a friend of yours, Chris. What's the difference?

You are acting as if all of your statements are iron clad, even after admitting that you weren't actually present for the situation. Is is so hard to believe that there are certain pieces to the story that may not have been disclosed to you?

The only way we will get the REAL story, is if Player A, Player B and the TD put it out to us from their own mouths (or keyboards)... I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen, as it seldom does in these situations.

Nobody is saying that you are wrong... they are merely bringing up the point that there may be more to the story... which is entirely possible.

There really isn't. TD is a professional player, has integrity, and wouldn't foul up the story. Player B has no reason to lie, he didn't even put up a fight. He isn't a friend, he's a player I know.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There really isn't. TD is a professional player, has integrity, and wouldn't foul up the story. Player B has no reason to lie, he didn't even put up a fight. He isn't a friend, he's a player I know.

Again... since you weren't present, you can't say if you know all of the story, or not... none of us can.

I know that the TD is a good guy, and wouldn't foul up the story.

I also know that Player B has no reason to lie... what benefit would they gain from that?

If Player B is just "a player you know," and you state that you know both players skill levels quite well, then Player A must be "a player you know" as well. Why not contact Player A, so you can have all sides of the story? It couldn't hurt... then you would be able to form a more well rounded opinion on the situation, having heard from all sides.

There is no way that a TD would want to have a 1st round match replayed. It can throw off the timing of the bracket in many ways. There had to be a reason better than, "Well, Player A complained a whole lot and sicked the promoter on me." to get him to make that decision.

Did you ever play the game of "telephone" in elementary school? It's a simple game that teaches us all that things get lost in translation... very easily. Plus, remember that being human means that we are fallible. Nobody says the right thing, makes the right decision or understands others perfectly, 100% of the time.

Get the whole story... from all sides... and you might find that the situation wasn't nearly as foul as it may have seemed. Sometimes we just need to have a little more faith in people.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

Regardless of your logic, what you are reporting as fact is hearsay. You understand why that's not admissible in court right? That's all some people are pointing out to you, regardless of the standing you judge the storytellers in, what you are posting as fact, is something you heard from others, not something you saw. Not to say its not true, just to say you can't speak to its truth.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Again... since you weren't present, you can't say if you know all of the story, or not... none of us can.

I know that the TD is a good guy, and wouldn't foul up the story.

I also know that Player B has no reason to lie... what benefit would they gain from that?

If Player B is just "a player you know," and you state that you know both players skill levels quite well, then Player A must be "a player you know" as well. Why not contact Player A, so you can have all sides of the story? It couldn't hurt... then you would be able to form a more well rounded opinion on the situation, having heard from all sides.

There is no way that a TD would want to have a 1st round match replayed. It can throw off the timing of the bracket in many ways. There had to be a reason better than, "Well, Player A complained a whole lot and sicked the promoter on me." to get him to make that decision.

Did you ever play the game of "telephone" in elementary school? It's a simple game that teaches us all that things get lost in translation... very easily. Plus, remember that being human means that we are fallible. Nobody says the right thing, makes the right decision or understands others perfectly, 100% of the time.

Get the whole story... from all sides... and you might find that the situation wasn't nearly as foul as it may have seemed. Sometimes we just need to have a little more faith in people.

Dude. It WASN'T the TD's decision. READ. It was the event promoter. Who is a very close friend of Player A.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude. It WASN'T the TD's decision. READ. It was the event promoter. Who is a very close friend of Player A.

Everything of yours that I have READ is hearsay.

It's unbelievable how many people there are out there that are ignorant to the possibility that they might not know everything of which they speak.

Get some perspective, man.

omgwtf

massiveunderstatement.com
Silver Member
Hilarious

Player A has printed out this thread and is showing everyone at Hard Times right now. I've got my popcorn. Aww yeah.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Everything of yours that I have READ is hearsay.

It's unbelievable how many people there are out there that are ignorant to the possibility that they might not know everything of which they speak.

Get some perspective, man.

You claim I am somehow misled, but don't provide a different angle.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
At least someone understands...

But its good straight true hearsay from reportedly trusted sources.

Hey, after all, it probably is, more or less, true.

What blows my mind is that as a group, we here at AZ pretty much all give great lip service and respect for those in the service that sacrificed for our rights, yet we at the same time, toss those rights rights out the window.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I, uh, tried to play. :) Lost my first match, then ground my way to the second day, at which point the Pool Gods saw fit to toss me out in 13th-16th.

That's a respectable finish, for....

wait for it

a girl.

*ducking*

Seriously, 13 to 16 out of what 100? Not so bad.

I miss you. Hollywood was great. Geoff sucked.

Kevin

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Regardless of your logic, what you are reporting as fact is hearsay. You understand why that's not admissible in court right? That's all some people are pointing out to you, regardless of the standing you judge the storytellers in, what you are posting as fact, is something you heard from others, not something you saw. Not to say its not true, just to say you can't speak to its truth.

Good thing we're not in a courtroom. However, perhaps this is a metaphor for a courtroom, or one could consider this the courtroom of public opinion. But if that is the case, if this were a courtroom, the objection would have to be raised by an interested party, that's none of us. Since we're speaking in metaphors, one might say that player 'b' had died since he lost and his existence was extinguished as far as the tournament was concerned. If that's true, then his statement could be considered a dying declaration and would therefore be admissible in court and it is also further corroborated by TD. Objection over-ruled.
I guess it all depends on your perspective

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, uh, tried to play. :) Lost my first match, then ground my way to the second day, at which point the Pool Gods saw fit to toss me out in 13th-16th.

Didn't you knock Player A out of the Tourney? If so, good on you!