Nine ball rules question

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This scenario happened to a friend of mine a few years back. He is slightly colorblind. We were playing a tournament with the tv colored ball set, the pastels, and he shot 2 or 3 balls in with the 2-ball still on the table before his opponent called a foul. My buddy said he thought the 2 was the 6, which was pocket on the break. His opponent called foul as soon as the cb hit the 5 ball. Then he took ball in hand and ran the 2, 7, 8 & 9. I don't think he planned it like that....he just must not have realized that the 2 was still on the table until he stood up for a better view.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You were playing nine ball the three ball is on the table you do not realize it
you shoot the four ball and make it a
Your opponent does not say anything
you shoot the five ball and miss opponent says wait you had to shoot the three ball
what happens then

Here's my analysis:

You committed two fouls. Your opponent gets BIH.

I assume there's no referee, so each player is referee for the shooting player. He would have had to warn you after two fouls that you're on two fouls, and the third consecutive foul would result in loss of game. But, he became the shooter when you missed.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 4 is history and the foul is on the 5 according to APA and BCA rules.

I lost an MVP match in APA because of that exact thing. Opponent missed, I got up and shot the four, then the five, then the six, THEN my opponent called it on me. Pretty sure he knew it from the beginning.

APA rules state the foul must be called PRIOR to next shot, getting down a ball wouldn't do it, I read the rules as you must stroke the CB to complete the next shot. So, if I would have noticed and SHOT at the 3 then he couldn't have done anything about it.

Sort of a similar situation in tournament using BCA rules. Opponent missed and left me with the 8B (this is an 8B match) sitting IN the corner pocket and CB about 1.5' away, thought I heard him say "that's good", it was winner rack so I racked the balls and broke. Opponent THEN said he didn't give me the game. Since it was game one of a race to two we just started over. BCA rules state the foul must be called PRIOR to the next shot, just like APA but I was new and didn't know that. Had I known then what I know now I would have told him to pound sand. Sure, he didn't "give" me the game, so he says, but he didn't stop me from racking and breaking either. Oh, to top it off, 10 man tourney, $10 entry, $100 purse and they only paid to 2, I place 3rd and as mentioned I am new and have been kicking everyone's ass in league so I'm pretty sure they said F him, we're only paying to 2. I've never been in a tourney of that size that didn't pay 60/30/10.

Haven't played in that tournament since.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with most on this one, but what if the player continues running out a number of additional balls (with the 3-ball still remaining on the table) before the opponent finally calls him for shooting at the wrong ball? Kind of a sorry thing to do, but would make it much either for that player calling to the foul to have less balls to run out to win the game.

I would say if at any point after the second wrong ball is pocketed and the shooter realizes his mistake and then lines up to shoot at the 3-ball, by that point it should be too late for his opponent to call a foul on him. That is the risk he takes by not calling the foul on his opponent when he should have done so.

See my previous post, getting down on the ball wouldn't cut it, you have to shoot the next shot.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Here's my analysis:

You committed two fouls. Your opponent gets BIH.

I assume there's no referee, so each player is referee for the shooting player. He would have had to warn you after two fouls that you're on two fouls, and the third consecutive foul would result in loss of game. But, he became the shooter when you missed.

The foul on the four was not called (It never happened).