Black marks on pool balls: solution

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know how .any times I've said this, but a little hand sanitizer on a clean cloth goes a long way!!!
Go easy on the balls. That's what he said, to she.

Some of these ball stories make me laugh, cry, wonder, whatever.

Wipe your balls after you play with a damp paper towel, every time.
Don't go through such a nut with your balls. Rub them good with a damp paper towel, and you'll be fine. Do this after every practice. I swear, I don't know where these ball threads come from.

All the best,
WW

Wait a minute. I am not sure what the topic at hand is anymore.

Its nuts, I say you.

stix_n_stones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second the recommendation by RKC, hand sanitizer takes the black marks off with very little effort. I fought with this for years on my table, tried all suggestions I could find to treat the pockets to prevent it and couldn't find a true permanent fix. Ended up buying new pockets from Diamond which do not mark the balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I second the recommendation by RKC, hand sanitizer takes the black marks off with very little effort. I fought with this for years on my table, tried all suggestions I could find to treat the pockets to prevent it and couldn't find a true permanent fix. Ended up buying new pockets from Diamond which do not mark the balls.
I think that many hand sanitizers contain alcohol. Here is a table from Dr. Dave's August 2014 column in Billiards Digest about what happens to throw for frozen balls when various cleaning methods are used.

CropperCapture[171].png

Maybe such a change in throw is not important in your game, but if it is you may want to make sure that the particular hand sanitizer you use doesn't cause this problem.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think that many hand sanitizers contain alcohol. Here is a table from Dr. Dave's August 2014 column in Billiards Digest about what happens to throw for frozen balls when various cleaning methods are used.

View attachment 500754

Maybe such a change in throw is not important in your game, but if it is you may want to make sure that the particular hand sanitizer you use doesn't cause this problem.

Wax the balls after cleaning them problem solved

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So the table I'm about to have installed should be free from this problem?