y'all hit any new shots lately?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one thing I love about pool is that so much is possible, with so few objects, in such a small space-
granted I'm not much of a player, but I literally see/learn something new every time I play.
one example that made me take notice tonight was an attempt to hit a long, steep backcut, with inside draw.
upon hitting the shot, I immediately realized that was the first time I ever attempted a shot like that, using that angle, distance, stroke, speed, english, etc.
of course I missed the hell out of it, but still pretty cool:grin:

could be any game, combination of balls, match, practice, whatever-
y'all hit any new shots lately? any "a-ha" moments?

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
one thing I love about pool is that so much is possible, with so few objects, in such a small space-
granted I'm not much of a player, but I literally see/learn something new every time I play.
one example that made me take notice tonight was an attempt to hit a long, steep backcut, with inside draw.
upon hitting the shot, I immediately realized that was the first time I ever attempted a shot like that, using that angle, distance, stroke, speed, english, etc.

A couple of days ago I had three of my balls lined up with the cue ball perfectly. I smashed the hell out of the first one and directed it towards the other two. It resulted in two of them dropping in two different pockets at full speed. It felt magical.

Oh wait, you said new? I've been performing that sort of magic for years now, so there's not really anything new about it. But still, every situation in which I hit my balls hard requires a unique approach. And every time it feels like a small piece of me is reborn.

RailBanger

Registered

Those are fun. I make a lot of back cuts with inside english that people think are impossible. The cue ball swerves toward the object ball, changing the angle just enough to make it cuttable.

A buddy of mine taught me a new shot recently. Picture the cue ball frozen to the object ball near a pocket. The OB is almost wired to go in, but not quite. Instead of trying to "cut" the frozen OB in like a normal shot, aim the cue ball to the other side. The cue ball pushes, or drags, the OB along with it. It looks like you're aiming in the wrong direction, but the OB goes in. I'd never seen that shot before, and it blew my mind.

Edit: I had an "a ha" moment when I realized I always miss a certain shot the exact same way. Picture a long, straight shot into the corner pocket, with both cue and object balls close to the rail. I would overcut that shot every. single. time. Never undercut it. I finally figured it out - it's like an optical illusion. Now that I can see those shots, I always make them.

Last edited:

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to watch videos of pros playing, old or new, and if I see a shot that seems pretty crazy, I will tape it on my phone. then I go back and try to do the same shot. sometimes I can get it pretty quickly, sometimes it takes a lot of trys and misses, but I finally get the shot down.

I have added a lot of shots in my game by copying the pros.:grin::grin::grin::grin:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Those are fun. I make a lot of back cuts with inside english that people think are impossible. The cue ball swerves toward the object ball, changing the angle just enough to make it cuttable.

A buddy of mine taught me a new shot recently. Picture the cue ball frozen to the object ball near a pocket. The OB is almost wired to go in, but not quite. Instead of trying to "cut" the frozen OB in like a normal shot, aim the cue ball to the other side. The cue ball pushes, or drags, the OB along with it. It looks like you're aiming in the wrong direction, but the OB goes in. I'd never seen that shot before, and it blew my mind.

Edit: I had an "a ha" moment when I realized I always miss a certain shot the exact same way. Picture a long, straight shot into the corner pocket, with both cue and object balls close to the rail. I would overcut that shot every. single. time. Never undercut it. I finally figured it out - it's like an optical illusion. Now that I can see those shots, I always make them.

What you’re describing in the first paragraph is throw. And you’re right sometimes it seems counterintuitive but once you learn that you can make a lot more frozen combos.

And I used to have that same exact problem along the rails. My favorite is say you have your cue ball on the left rail...maybe a little space between it and the rail, and your object ball is 4 diamonds away...like two diamonds short of the left corner pocket you’re shooting for, and it is a ball or so off the rail. You need to hit it hard to get your cue ball back down table...

It took me 10 minutes to finally figure this out but with a hard stroke and with follow I was just slamming that OB in to the rail well short of the corner pocket. I eventually had to aim basically to cut that ball to the right, like aiming it right outside of the pocket at the short rail. I don’t know if it’s an optical illusion or I just do something funny there but I have to aim where it seems I’m cutting the ball right to get it to go left. I’ve learned to trust myself on this during game play, though it’s tough

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a shot in apa to go to Vegas. I was up 5-1 basically a spot to spot shot. I called the lower left corner. I had just ran 3 racks. I hit it hard.

It bounced out of the lower left corner. Bounced out of the lower right corner and shot straight back in the lower left corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
run on the rail

I stumbled into one the other day. Cue ball near the corner pocket, maybe a ball's width from the side rail. If you aim into the side rail at a somewhat shallow angle with a jump shot you can make the cue ball run along the top of the rail for a bit, falling and heading towards the top corner pocket.

I set up a shot in which I was badly hooked shooting at a corner hanging in the upper pocket. I tried using the 'running the rail' shot a few times and made it over 50%. It was surprisingly consistent. Can't wait until this situation comes up in game play!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I came up with this shot about a year or so ago. Maybe you all know it already, I had never thought about doing it before and didn't know if it could be done. Necessity being the mother of invention. Looking back at it now it seams pretty simple and it is.

OB fairly close to the rail. CB lined up for an almost straight in shot, so you go off the rail first and you can get back out into the table. Well, I needed the CB on my side of the table. So, I hit into the rail as I normally would only I put a good amount of draw on the CB. It worked! CB off the rail, into the OB and the CB drew off the hit bringing the CB back to my side in a 4-5 o'clock angle. Had never thought about that shot, never saw anyone do it, but it worked and another tool goes in the box.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trying to keep consistency in my PSR, stance, head alignment/visual center, bridge hand, grip hand keeps me to busy to think about any "specific" shot unless:

I miss the same "type" shot more than once in a relatively short time frame.

If ^^^^^happens, well, I then know what my next drill will be.

Recording devices are your friend:thumbup:

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came up with this shot about a year or so ago. Maybe you all know it already, I had never thought about doing it before and didn't know if it could be done. Necessity being the mother of invention. Looking back at it now it seams pretty simple and it is.

OB fairly close to the rail. CB lined up for an almost straight in shot, so you go off the rail first and you can get back out into the table. Well, I needed the CB on my side of the table. So, I hit into the rail as I normally would only I put a good amount of draw on the CB. It worked! CB off the rail, into the OB and the CB drew off the hit bringing the CB back to my side in a 4-5 o'clock angle. Had never thought about that shot, never saw anyone do it, but it worked and another tool goes in the box.

Ive seen similar shots many times when people get out of line.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

This is one I also discovered on my own. Most often happens to me on the short rail and I get straight in, so rail first with draw will pop it straight down table from where it hits the OB. And then you can start judging different hits and draw amounts for more movement. It looks really crafty when you do it but it is a simple shot a lot of times...as long as you already know it ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Was the position like this diagram from Byrne's "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards?"

CropperCapture[326].jpg

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to watch videos of pros playing, old or new, and if I see a shot that seems pretty crazy, I will tape it on my phone. then I go back and try to do the same shot. sometimes I can get it pretty quickly, sometimes it takes a lot of trys and misses, but I finally get the shot down.

I have added a lot of shots in my game by copying the pros.:grin::grin::grin::grin:

This is what I do as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was happy to stumble into this one in an 8 ball tourney this weekend. My balls were badly clustered around the table. With lots of work to do, I landed myself on these tied up balls with the intention of playing a safe while getting them separated. As soon as I lined up on it I realized I could clear the 14 without it touching the 11 and applying a little forward I came off the rail to pocket the 11 with the cue ball. The big-pocket Valley took care of the rest.

Not the most advanced or difficult shot but I was pleased to identify that it was there and change gears to offense mode.

Sorry if my ChalkyPad skills blow.

Attachments

• Chalky.JPG
    Chalky.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 125

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was happy to stumble into this one in an 8 ball tourney this weekend. My balls were badly clustered around the table. With lots of work to do, I landed myself on these tied up balls with the intention of playing a safe while getting them separated. As soon as I lined up on it I realized I could clear the 14 without it touching the 11 and applying a little forward I came off the rail to pocket the 11 with the cue ball. The big-pocket Valley took care of the rest.

Not the most advanced or difficult shot but I was pleased to identify that it was there and change gears to offense mode.

Sorry if my ChalkyPad skills blow.
You can also play the shot when the balls are frozen and the second one starts to move some. The left side spin helps the cue ball catch up and redirect the back ball to the pocket.

Limeymc

Registered
I learned a shot where you jack the cue up and shoot into the rail to make the white jump over obstacle. I have also accidentally made it curve when it lands back on the table using sidespin

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk