SJM Sold on Tyler Styer

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of his faster development is because of Johan , a lot of people dismissed the importance of a coach with the prima donna players that may have been the case but for the younger players willing to listen and learn the value IMHO can't be overlooked or overstated,
I think it's comical that American players have this notion if a coach can't play better than them they can't teach them anything, this kind of thinking is why we have fell far behind the Asians and Euros
It is absolutely true and correct that Johan has had a large impact on Tyler with training for his stroke.
It's a good bit different in Europe than it's taught here in the states. Probably why the Europeans have made such a quantum leap over the years.
But in addition to Johan, Tyler has given a great deal of credit to Stan Shuffett for teaching him a completely new way to aim and align. Johan knows about it and is in on board with complete agreement and it's continuation along with the stroke training.
What Stan has done is to get him away from aiming with the center of the cue ball and aiming with the edge of the cue ball.
It changed his entire alignment in a positive way. Tyler has had steady instruction over a 6 year span with Stan and gives plenty of credit on various social media. Stan did the same thing with Landon which was to get him away from center cue ball aiming and correctly moving into center cue ball always from the left or right for the strike.
He also taught Tyler how to move into his shots by sweeping which is what ALL of the pros do to include the Ko brothers, Chang, Fuller and the list goes on. Tyler recently posted on Facebook that every pro he knows sweeps into their shots.
Tyler learned it early on and what many never come to realize in a lifetime.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In this thread, started in July, I observed that Tyler Styer had, without question, shown the kind of form that merited a Mosconi Cup selection.

Now that he's reached the final of the Kremlin Cup, there's really nothing left to discuss. Tyler is coming into his own.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He really has come a long way. I remember just 5 years ago watching him play at multiple tournaments at the Carom Room in Beloit and he was one of the weakest master rated players. He has put in a lot of work including Chinese 8 ball tournaments and has kept improving.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this thread, started in July, I observed that Tyler Styer had, without question, shown the kind of form that merited a Mosconi Cup selection.

Now that he's reached the final of the Kremlin Cup, there's really nothing left to discuss. Tyler is coming into his own.

Great thread. I think the 1-2 coaching punch of Johan and JJ will leave permanent marks on state of USA pool for the years to come. Skylar, Billy, Tyler all have really come into their own over the last two years. It’s great to watch.

Congratulations to Mr. Styer for the apparent hard work he put into his game.

I listened closely to his commentary during the Derby bank finals watching Billy—very apparent that he knows all aspects of pool.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler is ready.......

In the life of most great pool players they reach a level that they know is really tough to beat. When they go to the match they know deep down that they should win. Tyler is there with a lot more to come. Once he reaches his peak it will be interesting to see how long he can stay at that level. He just need a little more time in the fire to really feel comfortable. He might already be there. it's going to be really fun to watch. Go gettem kid...……..

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread. I think the 1-2 coaching punch of Johan and JJ will leave permanent marks on state of USA pool for the years to come. Skylar, Billy, Tyler all have really come into their own over the last two years. It’s great to watch.

Congratulations to Mr. Styer for the apparent hard work he put into his game.

I listened closely to his commentary during the Derby bank finals watching Billy—very apparent that he knows all aspects of pool.

You can add Stan Shuffet as one of Tyler's coaches. PRO-ONE Aiming!!!!!!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Jeremy said Tyler has the best break in pool! Pretty strong statement to make coming from somebody like JJ. My prediction is that as the prize money continues to go up and more tournaments are added to the pool calendar we will see more new faces, most of them being young guys who are already good athletes who take up pool. The best may be yet to come.

I sure hope you're right. Means more exciting streams for mere railbirds like me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He's gunning for Filler! Look out Joshua, here comes Tyler.

Right on, Jay. The arrival of every new young star of the game is, to me, a breath of fresh air in our sport. It is our nature to be very intrigued by the possibilities.

None of us knows what these guys, or other young impressive players (for example, Fedor Gorst) will achieve going forward, but we'll always enjoy watching them, because the infusion of new talent ushers in every new era in pool and, thereby, reinvigorates our game.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a race to 3 challenge match between Shane and a boy/girl partners team a few years ago. The boy/girl team were junior champs. Was the boy on that team Tyler? This was streamed and maybe 3-5 years ago.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right on, Jay. The arrival of every new young star of the game is, to me, a breath of fresh air in our sport. It is our nature to be very intrigued by the possibilities.

None of us knows what these guys, or other young impressive players (for example, Fedor Gorst) will achieve going forward, but we'll always enjoy watching them, because the infusion of new talent ushers in every new era in pool and, thereby, reinvigorates our game.

Some of us might be able to see into the future , he is right on schedule 😎

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played him at SBE years ago in the open. He had a bunch of family who set up the DVR. He was kinda cocky, like he'd already won. Things didn't go as planned for him.

I watched the last couple games. Multiple errors by both players. Alcaide should have played safe on the 3 in the side. Tyler would have had a tough 2 or 3 rail kick to hit it. His jump on the 7 was gambling. His position got him there.

I hope he continues to improve. Moreover I hope pro pool continues to improve so it can support more full time pros.