Was anyone there to see Jimmy Mataya crawl out from his rock

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Mataya was one of the top 9-Ball players of his era, for money or in a tournament. He beat a couple of Ring Ten ball games with all the best players (Burlington in the late 70's). His career wound down in the late 80's, although he had a Runner-up finish in a major event as late as 1988 in Vegas (lost to Earl in the Finals I think).

He was always a big talker (just part of his game). But almost all the players liked Jimmy. He is a passionate soul, and it carries over to his pool game. He can get out of line as well. I will grant that. Jimmy just doesn't always know where to draw the line between "hustle" and obnoxiousness.

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOEY said:
i dont care what anyone says about jimmy. he was one of the toughest in his day, and is a legend. i had talked to jimmy for hours throughout the 4 days at the dcc. he has some great stories and tricks to boot. i was there when he made his speech in the tourney room, i thought it was funny as hell. if it that makes him feel good, let him do it. also, if he woulda made that speech in his prime, nobody would have taken him up on it. bottom line, jimmy dont shoot anymore, he has some drinks, kicks back, and has fun.

joey < also bought jimmy a few beers.

He is entertaining, and may go over the limit at times. Alot of the players that woof non stop still cross the line. As for playing the current champions, of course he isnt going to do that. As Joey stated, he is trying to have fun.

For those on this board that think he cant play anymore, you still can find him in Lansing, and he will play. He still will play a few of the travelers etc, and has occasional personal games. Stop in Lansing and ask for him or how to get ahold of him.

Jody B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one of the epic Rackem'up tournaments in the late 80's Jimmy came swaggering into the poolroom and talked up a big snooker game with Frank James from Canada. It took all of about 30 minutes and Jimmy walked away with the cash,never missed a ball! Make no mistake about how good this man played, like Jay said, At one time he could defend himself with the best players on the planet. It aint braggin if you can back it up! and he could do both extremely well!

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stories are sweet and cute but isn't the point of this thread that he
opened his mouth and WAS NOT willing to back it up???

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
smashmouth said:

No Honey your SWEET, and like the person who started this thread maybe you should just fade into the back ground.

Because there is old saying when you make statements concerning things that you know nothing about you only look foolish:eek: , and when the time comes that you have something important to add no body will pay any attention.;)

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
smashmouth said:

If all posts were 100% on topic the avg thread length would be 1.69 posts.

The fact that posts tend to meander keeps things intriguing.

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only time I saw Jim Mataya play was at the Stardust Tournaments in Vegas in the early '70s. He was always a threat to win, along with Wade Crane (AKA Billy Johnson - best 9ball break ever), Jim Rempe, Richie Florence, Ed Kelly, Jimmy Reid, Jimmy Marino, and a few others. I don't remember him being the best (that was probably Wade Crane and Billy Incardona in those days, for 9ball) but he had as much gamble as anyone on the planet. Unlike the majority of today's players, he would bet all of his own dough at any time against just about anyone. Watching the Derby City Classic, I was struck by how colorless most of today's top players are (exception of Earl, of course). The players mentioned above, plus Danny DiLiberto, Larry Liscioti, Ronnie Allen, Cole Dickson, Johhny Ervalino, Danny Jones, Cornbread Red and others had major charisma and big-time personality to go with their talent. I remember Rempe, Mataya and Marino all looked like they just stepped out of GQ magazine and were in competition to see who could look the sharpest; pretty impressive group. Anyway, if Mataya wants to have a few beers and woof, he's earned the right IMO.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Jimmy Mataya was one of the top 9-Ball players of his era, for money or in a tournament. He beat a couple of Ring Ten ball games with all the best players (Burlington in the late 70's). His career wound down in the late 80's, although he had a Runner-up finish in a major event as late as 1988 in Vegas (lost to Earl in the Finals I think).

He was always a big talker (just part of his game). But almost all the players liked Jimmy. He is a passionate soul, and it carries over to his pool game. He can get out of line as well. I will grant that. Jimmy just doesn't always know where to draw the line between "hustle" and obnoxiousness.

All true, Jay! But his biggest problem is the alcohol. I've known him a while too and never saw him really get nasty unless he had a snoot full! Then all bets are off! Some people, in fact most people, would be better off not drinking! That's why I got out of the poolroom/bar business!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Last edited:

TULIPWOOD LOVER

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy

I never faded out of my post, I just wanted to get other peoples views. All I know, is that Jimmy came into the action room screamin to the top of his lungs that he was the best in the world and that he wanted to play for cash. He had about a dozens people stading in line with cash in hand, and he backed down from everyone of them. He was very disrepectful to everyone in the room, and there were some big games being played. I was watching Cliff Joyner and Billy Incardona play at the time, and they were not too happy about his drunken rampage. Several players called his bluff and he looked like an idiot when he backed down. I do not disagree that he was a great player, but his time has past and he needs to move on and let the real players play the game.

upncomingchamp

Registered
lol jimmy mataya was one of the best players and might have been the best gambler that ever lived....in his day he could give anyone in the room the 7

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
manwon said:
Well, I will say this, this a very interesting post. Jimmy was once one hell of a player, and he has always been a gambler.
So, I will say this, I have not seen the man in 25 year's, and maybe he is old now, but in his day he was one hell of a player, and he was also one of the best masse shot shooters in the entire country.

By the way, I could careless who your wife is:D, I would back him against your wife anytime right here in may pool room, so as you say put up or shut up!!!

Have a nice day!!! Lets see who has balls!!! Pm me if interested;)

Manwon

Well Tulipwood Lover, I woofed at you:D , and you did not answer back:rolleyes: , so I suspect that either someones balls have turned to BB's:eek: , or someone understands that being disrespectful on an open forum may worst than in person. ;)

By the way, Jimmy has earned the right to make an ass out himself, he was the one of the greatest players throughout the late 1960's to the early 1980's. He has many accomplishments, and has proved himself again and again, as a player and a gambler.;) Until you are at that level looking down you may want to think a little before you type, and at least show some compassion and respect for what he was, many many great players have done just that for him and many others who this sport has lost the same way.:(

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
TULIPWOOD LOVER said:
I never faded out of my post, I just wanted to get other peoples views. All I know, is that Jimmy came into the action room screamin to the top of his lungs that he was the best in the world and that he wanted to play for cash. He had about a dozens people stading in line with cash in hand, and he backed down from everyone of them. He was very disrepectful to everyone in the room, and there were some big games being played. I was watching Cliff Joyner and Billy Incardona play at the time, and they were not too happy about his drunken rampage. Several players called his bluff and he looked like an idiot when he backed down. I do not disagree that he was a great player, but his time has past and he needs to move on and let the real players play the game.

As Sherm said, he was drunk! Too bad, very sad and I'm not mad.

T

Timberly

manwon said:
By the way, Jimmy has earned the right to make an ass out himself, he was the one of the greatest players throughout the late 1960's to the early 1980's. He has many accomplishments, and has proved himself again and again, as a player and a gambler.;) Until you are at that level looking down you may want to think a little before you type, and at least show some compassion and respect for what he was, many many great players have done just that for him and many others who this sport has lost the same way.:(
There will come a day when Tulipwood lover will be past his prime and mother nature will start to take it's course on his reflexes, joints, and over all capabilities. I could be wrong but I doubt they'll reach the heights in their prime that Jimmy did. ;)

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
I love him dearly

"Floyd" is one of my favorite people. To me, he is just funny when he is drunk. He has earned his right to be pleasantly obnoxious. I only wish that he was still able to play, then he would be even more fun.

the Beard

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
"Floyd" is one of my favorite people. To me, he is just funny when he is drunk. He has earned his right to be pleasantly obnoxious. I only wish that he was still able to play, then he would be even more fun.

the Beard
He has "earned the right to be pleasantly obnoxious"....What in the world does that mean? WHY does someone "earn" that right to be offensive?
Does someone who is sober have less rights than someone who is drunk?

You're still tops with me Freddie, I'm still going to order your books, still going to look forward to your posts....but you miscued here.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I wish I had not contributed to this thread. It really doesn't serve any useful purpose. In fact, after re-reading the initial post, I think it's just plain mean-spirited. Let's try to just live and let live and try to let this thread die.

TULIPWOOD LOVER

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right!

I should have never made this post. Jimmy is a legend and no one can ever take that away from him. I think now the alchohol gets the best of him. I am sorry for any hard feelings I have made towards anyone on this forum. As for you "Manwon", if you are ever in Knoxville, "YOU GOT ACTION":D , LOL!

NittiFan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the early 80's I saw Jimmy at an exhibition in Cold Water Michigan. At that time he was "untouchable". His mouth ran the entire time he was kicking th crap out of evryone in the room, including yours truly.

You still gotta give the guy props for marrying Ewa!!

Mike

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
TULIPWOOD LOVER said:
I should have never made this post. Jimmy is a legend and no one can ever take that away from him. I think now the alchohol gets the best of him. I am sorry for any hard feelings I have made towards anyone on this forum. As for you "Manwon", if you are ever in Knoxville, "YOU GOT ACTION":D , LOL!

Thanks and have a nice day!!!!!!!

By the way, I will need Orange Crush playing Nine Ball, and 10 to 5 playing One Hole, I suspect that is fair since I am going to beat you with a Mop Handle:eek: !!!:D :D

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy is a legend eh? Known for what exactly?

Hustling people for money? Shit talking strangers in pool rooms?

Keep idolizing the goofs of the sport and stop wondering why Billiards will never grow