Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ordered the "test kit" yesterday and look forward to trying it out.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't even see that option lol. I bought 8oz of the three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The CrystaLac C

Registered
kit

I didn't even see that option lol. I bought 8oz of the three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
If you go to www.thecrystalacstore.com, click on the Brite Tone, then hit the drop down on size selection. The last option is test kit. I hope this helps. I have had a few other people ask about that. I will get with the guy and see if we can do something different. Sorry about that.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim

Oh boy.
Need some popcorn and soda for this. :D

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member

Kim

Kim,

I got 4 different batches of Solarez and they were all junk. Even the Solarez owner called me, gave me my money back and sent me a new batch that I won’t touch and it’s sitting on my shelf.
The thread I started was about a non stinky, environmentally friendly alternative that won’t kill you.
I have finished over 10 Cues with Solarez and invested about $500 bucks, never again! I had to strip down 11 Cues I finished that had Solarez and the finish was contaminated.

I’m not stating that Brite-Tone is the holy grail of finishes but is pretty darn good. If it can take the beating of guitar players, if it does not yellow and if it is clear as water, I’m fine with that.
There has been people using the finish for 20 years, so I think I’m good with that test of times.

Last edited:

The CrystaLac C

Registered

Kim
Good idea for a test. Not sure how good the paper will hold up to a waterborne product. Water usually turns paper to mush. How about putting 4 or 5 coats on glass and do the same test? I am not sure what waterborne products you have tried but none of CrystaLac products will yellow. The biggest problems I have seen with yellowing are from oil or oil notified and solvent based products. Everybody has their favorite and their own way of doing finishing. Give it a try if you want. I think it might change your mind.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Good idea for a test. Not sure how good the paper will hold up to a waterborne product. Water usually turns paper to mush. How about putting 4 or 5 coats on glass and do the same test? I am not sure what waterborne products you have tried but none of CrystaLac products will yellow. The biggest problems I have seen with yellowing are from oil or oil notified and solvent based products. Everybody has their favorite and their own way of doing finishing. Give it a try if you want. I think it might change your mind.

It has UV protection ?

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member

Kim

So you've done this test with the product being discussed here?

Just as I figured............

Solarez is your baby. Nobody here can compare. We should all just quit building cues and look for something else to do. Why do I torture myself not learning the Kim way of solarez? :cool:
Oh ...because I have and it's no good.
Say what you want but for you to try and convince us that you stand 2 feet away from using the solarez product and can't smell it tells me either your sinuses are shot or you're just flat out lying.
Which is it?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

Solarez is your baby. Nobody here can compare. We should all just quit building cues and look for something else to do. Why do I torture myself not learning the Kim way of solarez? :cool:
Say what you want but for you to try and convince us that you stand 2 feet away from using the solarez product and can't smell it tells me either your sinuses are shot or you're just flat out lying.
Which is it?

What he ^ said. It's a good idea to give an honest effort to something before you begin shooting it down. I tried Solarez & found much to be desired, not to mention the fumes that permeate everything. Of all the finishes I have tried on cues, it ranked just above aerosol can clear. If you don't want to try the finish being touted here, don't. But don't immediately begin comparing it to yours, either, if you haven't actually used both.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Which is it?

Dave, you should try being a little more direct :) LOL

Mario

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
As a Solarez user, I find it unfair that CA users are bashing this stuff as barely above aerosol finish. One would think with all the bashing that CA has taken as a finish over the years, they would fully understand that every finish has a learning curve and doesn't come out great right away and if you haven't taken the time to learn it/invest in it, then you shouldn't bash it. I have used 3-4 quarts of solarez so far and a lot was wasted learning some hard lessons and I am sure the CA users have done the same too. IMO, the finish is only as good as the effort put in by the finisher to learn how to use it for their purpose and do the proper prep for it. I have been told by quite a few players/cue buyers that have owned even some of the makers in this thread, that my finish was on par, and in a few cases looked better then those. Not bragging, just repeating what I was told.
How about stopping the bashing in this thread so it can get back to the finish that it's actually about.
Dave

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
As a Solarez user, I find it unfair that CA users are bashing this stuff as barely above aerosol finish. One would think with all the bashing that CA has taken as a finish over the years, they would fully understand that every finish has a learning curve and doesn't come out great right away and if you haven't taken the time to learn it/invest in it, then you shouldn't bash it. I have used 3-4 quarts of solarez so far and a lot was wasted learning some hard lessons and I am sure the CA users have done the same too. IMO, the finish is only as good as the effort put in by the finisher to learn how to use it for their purpose and do the proper prep for it. I have been told by quite a few players/cue buyers that have owned even some of the makers in this thread, that my finish was on par, and in a few cases looked better then those. Not bragging, just repeating what I was told.
How about stopping the bashing in this thread so it can get back to the finish that it's actually about.
Dave

You're barking up the wrong tree. Take your cause up with the self appointed Solarez company spokesman, not me. We cannot have a finish debate or conversation on this site without that troll chiming in to slap everybody with the Solarez brush. My response was an actual opinion based on experience, not a bash on the product, and was meant to push the troll back under his rock. He chimed in this time to pretty much call anybody who doesn't use Solarez an idiot, and that they shouldn't be making cues. That doesn't exactly look good on the brand. If you feel you must defend your finish, defend it against the person who's actually damaging its legitimacy.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never used Solarez. I’ve used an auto clear only. But to say if someone can’t use it they should have someone else finish their cues is an idiotic statement if I’ve ever heard one.

It seems some cannot understand that there are different ways to achieve the same goal. You play your game and I’ll play mine.

I read this forum regularly but really don’t post a lot. There are so many self appointed experts here I rarely have much to add.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I have never used Solarez. I’ve used an auto clear only. But to say if someone can’t use it they should have someone else finish their cues is an idiotic statement if I’ve ever heard one.

It seems some cannot understand that there are different ways to achieve the same goal. You play your game and I’ll play mine.

I read this forum regularly but really don’t post a lot. There are so many self appointed experts here I rarely have much to add.
You're not missing anything.
Well, outside of that stink it has right when you open the can.
Funny thing is, some peep was touting that Solarez to me and I told him to have fun with it b/c I ain't ever going to use it. He too made it sound like it was a gift from above so he can avoid spraying.

Now, I just use a 2:1 auto clear. I get them by the pint only. They are gone before the hardener goes bad. I use an Iwata gun and won't have any other gun.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not missing anything.
Well, outside of that stink it has right when you open the can.
Funny thing is, some peep was touting that Solarez to me and I told him to have fun with it b/c I ain't ever going to use it. He too made it sound like it was a gift from above so he can avoid spraying.

Now, I just use a 2:1 auto clear. I get them by the pint only. They are gone before the hardener goes bad. I use an Iwata gun and won't have any other gun.

I'm pretty sure that all of the finishes have merits. To each their own. I stayed with CA because Eric Crisp was nice enough to reach out when I was having trouble and invite me to his shop to show me how he does it.

I ordered a test kit since I have the equipment to spray and I'll see how this stuff works. Even after I use it, I'm not going to judge it without giving myself fair time and experience to ensure that it's being applied correctly.

I just don't see how it's so hard for people to just say "thank you for the information on the new product / technique / etc.," and move on. If it's not the way you do it, then do it your way and be happy with your results. Taking the time to bash a technique or product that you've never taken the time to learn is like saying piano players are all godless heathens simply because you failed at learning to play piano. Ignorance, especially coupled with arrogance, are strange and dangerous bedfellows.

JC

Coos Cues
I'm pretty sure that all of the finishes have merits. To each their own. I stayed with CA because Eric Crisp was nice enough to reach out when I was having trouble and invite me to his shop to show me how he does it.

I ordered a test kit since I have the equipment to spray and I'll see how this stuff works. Even after I use it, I'm not going to judge it without giving myself fair time and experience to ensure that it's being applied correctly.

I just don't see how it's so hard for people to just say "thank you for the information on the new product / technique / etc.," and move on. If it's not the way you do it, then do it your way and be happy with your results. Taking the time to bash a technique or product that you've never taken the time to learn is like saying piano players are all godless heathens simply because you failed at learning to play piano. Ignorance, especially coupled with arrogance, are strange and dangerous bedfellows.

Is spreading some on wood, smelling it everywhere in the building for hours and saying no thank you giving a product a fair shake?

If you're smelling it it's killing you.

JC

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is spreading some on wood, smelling it everywhere in the building for hours and saying no thank you giving a product a fair shake?

If you're smelling it it's killing you.

JC

I would say yes LOL. All of the makers I've met (myself included,) have decent ventilation systems. Granted I'm fairly new at full blown building vs. higher end repairs compared to most of the bigger contributes here. So yeah...if you can smell it, I would say you're probably correct in stating it's not healthy.

My point was that you'll never hear me saying "no no no..that's not how you do that" or "this way / product is better than this one" unless I've vetted it for myself and feel confident that I'm using correct techniques. If I did, no one would EVER share knowledge with me again and I would be missing out on some great ways to do things.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just don't see how it's so hard for people to just say "thank you for the information on the new product / technique / etc.,".

Thank you. I like threads like this.:D

As for finish and I don't care what kind. I want to know what it's like in 6 months.