Big bucks for old production cues? Are you nuts!?

bigchase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit with many different cues but hit is subjective the only way I can think of getting a good idea of how each different brand of cue hit. Is to have a bunch of different cues but they would all have to have the same tip on them. Kind of hard to compare the hit of various cues if every cue has a different tip. The tip is going to change the feel of the hit you might have had a cue that you could have liked the hit but it had a tip you're not used to causing you to not like the hit at all. Just my opinion so I'm open to hear your opinion as well.

I'm always looking for old Mali's if any of you have some that are looking to part with. For purely sentimental reasons I worked for Mali a long time ago before I joined the USMC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Cuetec?

LOL!

Not been around long enough for any of them to be "old" IMHO. Aren't they still in Beta?

I feel the same way about Falcon.

I love it when people advertise a "old vintage" "original" Predator. Really? Old? They still seem pretty new to me. Aren't they still working the bugs out of those things? Still pretty controversial. I probably have socks older than the first one they made.

I guess my age is showing. :embarrassed2::p

Last edited:

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
When I was a kid in my early twenties, I frequented a pool hall in Torrance, CA. ALL the main guys there played with Mcdermott Cues at the time. The cue to have was the C-21. I could never afford one back then and I always dreamed of having one. A few years back, I found one in a pawn shop, I paid a very reasonable price for it and I love it!

I use it often on my home table. I tend not to take it out though, just every now & then. I'm just too paranoid of it being ripped off. I didn't buy it as an investment but I doubt i'll lose money on it if I were to sell it. But, I don't think I will sell it either! It plays nice, it has two original maple shafts and I just enjoy having it. It's my most coveted cue and I think it's worth a lot. What's a lot? I dunno…a least a grand? To me, that's a lot!! It's worth more to me in sentimental value than anything. It's a cue I've wanted since the early 80's.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be all psychological I don't know, but I remember in the old days playing with the Joss' and McDermotts and loved the hit. Then years later played with newer models and not so much. I'd even say I prefer the old logo Scuggs' and old logo Freys to the new logo ones. One could argue there MAY be a difference in the Scuggs' but should be no difference what so ever in the Freys. Like I said maybe just psychological . I think it may be that in general most things used to be made better, built to last not everything to be made disposable like today and this thought carries over to cues????

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put a tip on a Huebler HA tonight, probably a late 80s cue. Both shafts and butt straight and plays pretty nice.

Used to be able to get them for 4 or 5 hundred. I'd much rather have one of these than any new production cue made today.

Well it's subjective for sure but it's hard to beat a Mezz production or custom

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An Adam made from Titlist blank from a "stash", implying a Brunswick blank and not an Adam made Titlist blank?

Adam made Titlist type veneer blanks. But the way you are stating it implies that the cue was made from a Brunswick made Titlist blank. That would amaze me.

I want to see it. :)

Yes Adam Ah 10 full spliced with titlest veneers was made to copy a Bushka Its actually one worth buying it has value I believe Palmer and Tass used Adam blanks for conversions when titlests blanks stop being produced
Excellent blanks

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Adam Ah 10 full spliced with titlest veneers was made to copy a Bushka Its actually one worth buying it has value I believe Palmer and Tass used Adam blanks for conversions when titlests blanks stop being produced
Excellent blanks

I know the A/H-10.

But they were not Brunswick made Titlist blanks were they? They were Adam made.

Adam made plenty of Titlist type blanks, and so did Schmelke. I have examples of both. But were any made with Brunswick Titlist blanks?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the A/H-10.

But they were not Brunswick made Titlist blanks were they? They were Adam made.

Adam made plenty of Titlist type blanks, and so did Schmelke. I have examples of both. But were any made with Brunswick Titlist blanks?

Your correct but the blanks were top notch and used by others

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your correct but the blanks were top notch and used by others

Oh yes. They were excellent blanks.

The post I was commenting on seemed to imply an Adam made from a Brunswick made Titlist. That definitely caught my attention.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I just purchased an old PRESCRIPT Meucci OL-1 in mint condition.

I refuse to let someone make me feel bad about my purchase or tell me I paid too much. It's my choice, and my money, dang it.

Now, I'm gonna use it as a player because I take great care of my cues. If I choose to sell it later, I will be happy to see if someone else is as excited as I was to find it.

theluckfactor

all in the presentation
Silver Member
How much are you considering to be big bucks?

I bought my m-1 is 90's for 150 still have the cue and hits great. I often wonder about the more expensive older Meucci's but it seems they are collectible. . I don't think that custom a cue maker can put that type of work in a cue and keep it in the Meucci price range. But I have to remind myself that its not the late 80's. I don't know what happen to them over the last 20 plus years to make their credibility fall but its obvious they weren't building a cue that everyone will stand by. Don't take that wrong way because a Scruggs, Black Boar...are in class of their own but also a price range of their own. Apples to oranges.

If Meucci was $250 to 300 would you still bash it?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, I just purchased an old PRESCRIPT Meucci OL-1 in mint condition.
It would be considered rude by many to ask what you paid for it, so I won't. Based on what I've seen on ebay it couldn't have been cheap.
I refuse to let someone make me feel bad about my purchase or tell me I paid too much. It's my choice, and my money, dang it.
Of course it would be bad to let others dictate how you feel about your purchase, it is your own money, and your own decision after all.

Now, I'm gonna use it as a player because I take great care of my cues. If I choose to sell it later, I will be happy to see if someone else is as excited as I was to find it.

I hope you will enjoy your new cue. I have no doubt that you bought it for the right reasons (that YOU liked it) and not because of bs hype from others. I really have no problem with people buying old cues, because they like the hit, for sentimental reasons, or just to collect them. Those are all good reasons IMO. In fact whatever reason you may have is fine, it is as you say, your money. What I DO have a problem with is the complete domination of sales pitches on this forum, especially when the claims have no basis in reality. I could mention several such examples, but they have all been discussed before. The intention of my post was to offer some information from an unbiased perspective, to help people make the right decision for them, not to put down people. I hope that makes my position clear.

Last edited:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope you will enjoy your new cue. I have no doubt that you bought it for the right reasons (that YOU liked it) and not because of bs hype from others. I really have no problem with people buying old cues, because they like the hit, for sentimental reasons, or just to collect them. Those are all good reasons IMO. In fact whatever reason you may have is fine, it is as you say, your money. What I DO have a problem with is the complete domination of sales pitches on this forum, especially when the claims have no basis in reality. I could mention several such examples, but they have all been discussed before. The intention of my post was to offer some information from an unbiased perspective, to help people make the right decision for them, not to put down people. I hope that makes my position clear.

I feel that there is a lot more "bs hype" when it comes to new Cues than there is with used Cues. It sounds like the guy bought the Meucci for the right reason, he wanted it!

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel that there is a lot more "bs hype" when it comes to new Cues than there is with used Cues. It sounds like the guy bought the Meucci for the right reason, he wanted it!

:eek:

Yes...and if you ever pay those retail prices for a new cue-----that would be nuts!

Those new retail prices on production cues are just crazy!

:yes: