Choosing a new/used table

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to Peter's billiards the other day to start shopping for a 7ft pool table (due to room size) and I wasnt super excited about anything I saw under 5k. Been looking at used tables from other dealers and finding some ok tables, but I want some opinions. I'm going for straight up best play for the buck. I would like to stay around 1k dollars. A nice looking american heritage 7ft just popped up for 200, would I be better off buying something like that and having high quality rubbers and simonis felt put on that vs buying say a decent used brunswick or connely or something? My brother snagged a used diamond 7ft for 2k but I'm not likely to find something like that, been watching local online sales awhile. I certainly dont read too much good stuff about playability of tables like AH or "furniture tables" along those lines but would top of the line components on it give me a table that plays like a high end one? Any table mechanics want to weigh in? Thanks in advance

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To stay around 1000$, a diamond table may be impossible. I bought a decent valley bar table, installed ridgeback rails and 860hr Simonis. It plays pretty good for what it is if you don’t mind having the bar table look. My total investment was around 1300$

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean if I found a deal like that I'd raise my budget, but apart from that I'd like to stay around a grand. And I'm seeing lots of valleys but ya not a fan of the look.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For playability I think you're stuck with Valley or Diamond. If I were you I'd remain patient and keep waiting for the right deal. Maybe expand your search radius a bit, a few extra hours driving might really increase your options.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I just tried to get a newer Valley coin operated for a friend for $500.

Without kicking the price way up, I don't know where you will do better.

There's a Diamond listed on cl by me for around $4500.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would still consider a valley table. But maybe I should clarify my question, I'm not expecting to find a diamond table for 1k. I want to know if getting a furniture grade table, and then adding say a k66 profile accufast cushion and simonis 860 felt, if it will be a good bang for the buck, and if it won't, why? I read its even possible to set up diamonds k55 cushions on a different profile table, like a common american heritage, Just "a lot of work". But saving 4500 for a used table sounds like more work... if I can get a good hardwood 3 piece slate table for 200, buy the simonis 860, then the better cushions, and have it professionally set up it will still be in my 1k range, will it not make a comparable playing table?

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’re better off asking this question in the Talk to a Mechanic forum.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For playability I think you're stuck with Valley or Diamond. If I were you I'd remain patient and keep waiting for the right deal. Maybe expand your search radius a bit, a few extra hours driving might really increase your options.

What he said.

And perhaps check with the mechanics in your area, see if anybody wants to unload something he's sitting on.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if I can get a good hardwood 3 piece slate table for 200, buy the simonis 860, then the better cushions, and have it professionally set up it will still be in my 1k range, will it not make a comparable playing table?

Yes. For a few weeks... then on the furniture grade table the bolts are going to start to work a bit loose. The slate is going to slip a bit. The rails are going to shift a hair out of line. Before you know it everything is just a bit off.

With my valley, I have to level it twice a year. Once in the spring when the ice thaws and my garage sinks, and once in the winter when the ground freezes and lifts my garage. It's pretty much bulletproof. It sees more games than 95% of bar tables out there, and does double duty as my garage work bench.

If appearance is your primary concern then a furniture grade might do you, but if you want long lasting consistent performance, commercial is the way to go. Personally I'll never get anything but a one-piece slate table ever again.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a new diamond 7 footer last year, best investment i have ever bought. but sounds like thats out of your price range. i play at one moose lodge and one small bar by my house, and both have valleys. i like them alot. they are not diamonds, but with new simiones cloth, that would be the way to go.

before i bought my diamond, i bought a table from a online site near me. paid 1700 for a piece of crap table from china. played on it for two months and just gave it away for free, it was so lousey.

so look for a nice used valley. :)

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'v met Kerry a few times, nice guy. What's your thoughts on the ridgeback rails

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never to my knowledge played with them. Funnily enough my rails need replacing and I am planning on building my own. I may or may not have been thinking about stealing the ridgeback design...

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would still consider a valley table. But maybe I should clarify my question, I'm not expecting to find a diamond table for 1k. I want to know if getting a furniture grade table, and then adding say a k66 profile accufast cushion and simonis 860 felt, if it will be a good bang for the buck, and if it won't, why? I read its even possible to set up diamonds k55 cushions on a different profile table, like a common american heritage, Just "a lot of work". But saving 4500 for a used table sounds like more work... if I can get a good hardwood 3 piece slate table for 200, buy the simonis 860, then the better cushions, and have it professionally set up it will still be in my 1k range, will it not make a comparable playing table?

The answer is no. I owned an American Heritage table. If you are serious about having a good playing table stay away. Spending the money on cloth and cushions won't do anything to improve the quality of the frame and slate bed. If it's the only thing you can afford then so be it but I think you might be better off buying a decent bar box like a Valley and upgrading that.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. For a few weeks... then on the furniture grade table the bolts are going to start to work a bit loose. The slate is going to slip a bit. The rails are going to shift a hair out of line. Before you know it everything is just a bit off.

With my valley, I have to level it twice a year. Once in the spring when the ice thaws and my garage sinks, and once in the winter when the ground freezes and lifts my garage. It's pretty much bulletproof. It sees more games than 95% of bar tables out there, and does double duty as my garage work bench.

If appearance is your primary concern then a furniture grade might do you, but if you want long lasting consistent performance, commercial is the way to go. Personally I'll never get anything but a one-piece slate table ever again.

This is more the explanation I was looking for. So everyone's saying stick with 1 piece slate, 1 piece side rails. Valleys are pretty abundant and easily could get one and put new stuff on it within my budget. Only problem with the looks is it will be in our main room with the kitchen and living room so wife has to ok it and thinks she dosent like bar box style tables. And personally I'd prefer a non ball return table.

It does kind of blow my mind that a nice olhousen or connely or brunswick is a step down in playability. I had a stout goldenwest with custom rails and 760 cloth and thought it played amazing for the couple years I had it, 3 rail banking was dead on. I'll be patient and keep an eye out for a good deal on a nice table but probably just have to make the best of an OK table

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick glenwood with simonis 860. Bought it new for
4K. It is a furniture table but plays well. Only knock is
pockets are cavernous. If you can find one used in your price range
I would not hesitate

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. As far as 7 footers go a Diamond or Valley is your best choice. Me personally nothing but a Diamond in a 7 footer would do.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to Peter's billiards the other day to start shopping for a 7ft pool table (due to room size) and I wasnt super excited about anything I saw under 5k. Been looking at used tables from other dealers and finding some ok tables, but I want some opinions. I'm going for straight up best play for the buck. I would like to stay around 1k dollars. A nice looking american heritage 7ft just popped up for 200, would I be better off buying something like that and having high quality rubbers and simonis felt put on that vs buying say a decent used brunswick or connely or something? My brother snagged a used diamond 7ft for 2k but I'm not likely to find something like that, been watching local online sales awhile. I certainly dont read too much good stuff about playability of tables like AH or "furniture tables" along those lines but would top of the line components on it give me a table that plays like a high end one? Any table mechanics want to weigh in? Thanks in advance

For that money but any full 7 foot Valley used for about 500. Then get Ridgeback rails that make pro pocket size that comes with cloth on abd bed cloth...about 250 on eBay.You can do bed cloth yourself if pay somebody who's done it before. Easy job. And you are in for under a grand.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does kind of blow my mind that a nice olhousen or connely or brunswick is a step down in playability.

If you can find a Brunswick or Olhausen seven foot in your price range those would probably do you too. I excluded them because I've personally never seen a seven footer of either, and assumed they wouldn't come up in your search. I know they exist, but I've never seen them.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can find a Brunswick or Olhausen seven foot in your price range those would probably do you too. I excluded them because I've personally never seen a seven footer of either, and assumed they wouldn't come up in your search. I know they exist, but I've never seen them.

There are 3 7ft olhausens in my area for under 800 that look pretty nice, but most I'm seeing are 8ft and 9 ft. I could technically shoehorn an 8ft in but with a 7ft I will be 100% clear of all walls. I'm just gonna keep watching listings with cash in hand and be ready to buy when I see the right one.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I had to have a 3pc slate 7ft to get in my space. I camped on Craig's list for about 3 months. Found a table that had only a few games played on it.

Don't be in a rush and you'll find a cherry deal.

Btw, my slate hasn't moved a bit and my rails are as tight as the day I set it up.