Hohmann loses to Ko because of the Cyclop balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Hohmann loses this game and with it possibly the match.

Cue balls totally rolls off path and falls right into the pocket.
They try it after the game but it won't to it then.
Probably rolling too hard.

1:37:47 shot is coming up.

https://youtu.be/0Tv2GEfmDzw?t=1h37m47s

This is from 2014 so some of you may have seen it.

All the valid explanations notwithstanding about what happened, this was
chilly. Wow, what a roll. Although I think he realized he shouldn't have
been near the pocket in the first place. Still.....chilly. :frown:

Will Prout

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you blame the cue ball?

If the cue ball had roll off issues how do you explain all the other shots made with perfect position? If the ball was "off" you would see it more often in a 1.40 hour match

With the Cyclop balls that roll-off is pretty known to be intermittent.
No one can really explain it.

Seems to be related to perfect speed at the perfect rotation axis and then it happens.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the valid explanations notwithstanding about what happened, this was
chilly. Wow, what a roll. Although I think he realized he shouldn't have
been near the pocket in the first place. Still.....chilly. :frown:

Will Prout

If you look at the initial path of the ball he was headed to the diamond to the left the pocket where it ended.
Would have been a perfect shot.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I was in Vegas at the BCA National release. The pros opted to use a dotted ball in that event but the amateurs didn't have the option.
Rumor was that the red eye could be felt on the exterior; it looked weird (almost raised) but I couldn't feel anything.
Supposably they were to lower/sink the eye slightly to prevent the raised illusion.

I've personal broke out micrometers and digital weight scales on many occasions re-pairing up ball sets. If you do this, you will see that the cyclop balls run remarkably uniform. It will also show you how much other sets don't (names withheld on purpose, not looking for a ball debate).
You really got to get into high end sets/pricing to match these (albeit ugly) ball.

I've seen that cue ball dance way too many times on streams.
One in particular was that round robin tournament at the Rio Hotel.

The Centennial balls do not get any complaints.
The Pro Cup and Cyclops, get complaints.

The red dot cue ball has always been the favorite among the pros afaik.
Even Efren told me he liked that opaque cue ball.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about get behind cyclops and diamond and share their feedback.

Given the incredible quality of the diamond table (which set the standard) and believe me some of the earlier iterations like the tables used at qlympics were absolutely horrible.

Diamond fixed it because that is what they do.

I hear a lot of whining about it but very little science behind it. I personally own a set of both pro cup TV balls and the newest revision (zeus) of the cyclops balls. The cyclops balls are definitely different in some positive and negative ways (they slide more because the ball is harder) but they stay cleaner longer. A little more spring for sure.

The why is what we are missing. Bob's point is right on. I would rather see an engineer review this problem than a somewhat superstitious and biased group of pool players.

The harder surface could certainly cause more glide at low speed and could bring out rolls in the table itself more. On the other hand this is just a difference and not an actual problem with the product itself.

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Cyclops built a new Cue ball recently

I just bought and received 6 new Cyclops Cue balls and am currently trying them out...they have been available for awhile but I just found out about them...my original Cyclops Cue balls never curved but I witnessed many that did...the new ball has one big red dot similar in size to the dots on the measle..... Cyclops like Diamond is dedicated to continuing to make equipment better and better..,.call Diamond and order the new ball.....

Gordon Graham
Seattle
425-275-8255

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing everyday with my cyclops and never had a slight roll off!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
2 sets here and they are perfect.
Although the tournament set colors are irritating. But the traditional set is great.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK -- Now we have a mystery, a riddle if you will ... I enjoy these type of things.

There is only one possible explanation for the inconsistent roll off of the ball in question.

Given, as stated by others in this thread, the ball measures and weighs correctly.

So ... This can only be explained by inconsistent density within the ball it's self.

Apparently the resin used to make the ball was perhaps not mixed completely?

Perhaps the resin and accelerator separate during the curing process?

Perhaps curing accelerated by heat caused the variance in density contained by the ball?

Perhaps the mixture was contaminated by foreign matter?

Perhaps the resin and or accelerator used was defective from the manufacturer?

What I am saying is that internally, within the ball, there are areas that weigh more, due to greater density, compared to areas of equal physical measurement within the sphere.

In short these balls, or at lest some of them, just plain suck.

Good rolls. (pun intended)

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don´t want to bash any balls on market...
but I lost tight match at Derby this year due Cyclop roll off. It was against Shannon Daulton. Score was 7-7 long and I had to shoot long rolling safety shot and cueball rolled off just before it hit the object ball. Ball came for easy straight in shot for Daulton because of that.
Just my 2 cents. I noticed a lot strange rolls may other times too but they might be because of table.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone considered it might have been the table?

Beside leveling issues, a one piece slate is mighty heavy and can bow.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'
Hohmann tried the same path later without roll-off.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'
Hohmann tried the same path after that rack without roll-off.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'

This has been experienced on numerous different tables. The common denominator is the cue ball.

Nice to see you posting, Lou.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Given, as stated by others in this thread, the ball measures and weighs correctly. ...
The ball can have all "diameters" equal but still be non-spherical, so it is hard to show that something that is close to a sphere is actually a sphere. I think it is sufficient to show that every orientation has the same circular maximum boundary, but I'm not sure.

Here is a 2-dimensional shape (a Reuleaux Triangle) that has a constant width but is not circular:

ReuleauxTriangle.png

There are similar shapes for 3 dimensions (a near-sphere).

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball can have all "diameters" equal but still be non-spherical, so it is hard to show that something that is close to a sphere is actually a sphere. I think it is sufficient to show that every orientation has the same circular maximum boundary, but I'm not sure.

Here is a 2-dimensional shape (a Reuleaux Triangle) that has a constant width but is not circular:

View attachment 455256

There are similar shapes for 3 dimensions (a near-sphere).

Yes, Bob -- you are correct and stating a true fact.

However, one of our members stated in this thread, that he mic'd the ball and found it to be a sphere. Now certainly he could of been mistaken, and if he was, what you are proposing could certainly be the root cause.

I suppose without getting my hands on that cue ball I can not be certain of the cause.

But, if in fact it is a sphere, then I think, I have to be correct in surmising inconsistent density to be the culprit.

Nice post, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.