CTE Journey

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I can see those quite easily. It’s like looking at something without having a central point of focus. Using that concept at the table allows me to see the pocket, OB and CB all at the same time. This means the central vision part of my field of vision are not converged on any of them. This helps me in seeing the whole shot and not just part. I can get into position without having to converge my central vision on the CB or OB or pocket cause I use my peripheral vision to know where those are located.

How one uses their vision nor their level of sparital ability can be known unless tested.

Another idea.....target fixation. If you ride motorcycles for anything length of time, you’ll will here about target fixation and crashing because of it. In motorcycling riding, there is also the saying, you go where you look.

Target fixation is when you hit something you are trying to avoid. Your gaze is fixated on whatever it is instead of having it on where you need to be going. I’ve experienced this, not the crashing part. I was headed straight for something I didn’t want to hit, like a big ass pot hole, cause I my gaze was on it. Once a shifted my gaze to where I needed to go, I went around it .

I apply this to a pool shot. I look to where I am stroking to as like is done on a one rail kick shot. This is why I wonder how people can be looking at the OB,which means the central vision of their eyes field of vision is converged on the OB,target fixation, but their stroke is away from where their central vision is converged.

There’s a lot of “how to” in pool that are never questioned, but accepted on blind faith. FWIW, for many years, I was a QA tester for a electronic company, in addition to being the tech writer for the products produce and also a trainer of those products.

As a tester, I had to not only make sure stuff worked, but find ways to make them fail.....I was very good at that part, but it made for a quality product.....Our stuffed just worked as advertised.

I carry this into pool world. I can find flaws in what most think is gospel when it comes to pool. Like having your foot or feet on the shot line which was stated in instructor forum recently and not one person openly questioned that statement.......can’t be done.

I shoot one handed shots a lot, comes in handy at times. So by head is no where near or over the cue, nor my feet anywhere the shot line.

Guess the point of all this is ......learn to devolp your on way to play pool that makes sense to you and not just blindly follow what others say.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE JOURNEY LOG 6/5/2019:

Played a friend last night - the usual eight-ball, call shot game. I like that game as it requires many decisions - sequence of balls, working around congested traffic, etc. It works the brain well and yet is very enjoyable.

During one of our games my opponent broke but didn't pocket a ball. My only shot was a bank attempt that unfortunately missed (I don't always choose the correct CTE alignment on bank shots). A safety would do no good as there were too many hangers for him to choose from. He ran all but missed a long-distance shot on the eight.

I took a deep breath, told myself "just focus on your CTE pre-shot routine", ignoring the fact that I had better make all of the seven balls on the table. CTE took me to the shot line each time. Thankfully, it seems that I am seeing the correct alignment and choosing the correct sweep direction more often - with more experience. I ran the rest of my group and pocketed the eight ball using a cross-corner bank with a 15 degree perception and outside sweep (with a bit of outside english).

It was a good feeling.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a friend last night - the usual eight-ball, call shot game. I like that game as it requires many decisions - sequence of balls, working around congested traffic, etc. It works the brain well and yet is very enjoyable.
During one of our games my opponent broke but didn't pocket a ball. My only shot was a bank attempt that unfortunately missed (I don't always choose the correct CTE alignment on bank shots). A safety would do no good as there were too many hangers for him to choose from. He ran all but missed a long-distance shot on the eight.
I took a deep breath, told myself "just focus on your CTE pre-shot routine", ignoring the fact that I had better make all of the seven balls on the table. CTE took me to the shot line each time. Thankfully, it seems that I am seeing the correct alignment and choosing the correct sweep direction more often - with more experience. I ran the rest of my group and pocketed the eight ball using a cross-corner bank with a 15 degree perception and outside sweep (with a bit of outside english).
It was a good feeling.
Good work..............and it will only get better.
Once you get a healthy taste of how that CTE can win for you, there will never be any doubts that you made the right choice to abandon those lame methods of the past and move into the present.
:thumbup2:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It was a good feeling.
nice shooting sacman

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Good work..............and it will only get better.
Once you get a healthy taste of how that CTE can win for you, there will never be any doubts that you made the right choice to abandon those lame methods of the past and move into the present.
:thumbup2:

This is the main problem with CTE users........continually bashing other systems.

His accomplish is no different than that a Ghostball user using the same mental approach.

No matter what methodology is used, it is always a good feeling when you are playing the best you can.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If your line of sight isn't directly on the CTE line, then neither tip point nor ball top can possibly line up visually with the edge of the OB. If your line of sight is directly on the CTE line, then both will. This fact has nothing to do with the CTE system - it's just simple spacial relationships that apply no matter what you're doing.

pj
chgo
CTE aside, the very best and most accurate way to identify a line in 3D space with convergence / vanishing point illusions, which is our reality, is to understand where its not and deduce its location based on where it's not.

Those who see a line from way back in a standing position and then come forward straight down the perceived line up to ball address are almost never on it. It seems totally logical and to almost everyone, it seems 100% correct since many developed decent games that way, but in reality they're adjusting on the way down to ball addreas slightly to compensate. It's also why many players play their entire lives and fail to thrive in this game. If it looks "correct" in pool, it's probably not.

The best way to sight is to look across the line slightly to overcome the illusion. With lines having zero dimension you'll always tend to end up at the wrong spot at ball address with the offset varying based on shot distance and cut direction.

There's a training tool called Sight Right, some of you have probably seen it - it looks like a block with a line at the top and a half-high level where the line continues in the front. I think this thing used to be sold as a snooker training aid and now I believe Hunter Lombardo represents the U.S. territory for product sales. As Hunter said if you're not coming into address from an offset, you'll never be on the intended line. I thought this was profound since like most others, I've always executed the logical approach... Straight.

If you pair that Sight Right to get to the line and JoeT's 3rd Eye to learn how to see center ball, one can progress quickly regardless of aiming technique he/she chooses.

Hal used to say the best way to see a line in 3D space was to look across it slightly and he is 1000% correct unless you're a cyclops with an eye at the center of your forehead.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If what you like works, then USE IT.

This is the main problem with CTE users........continually bashing other systems.
His accomplish is no different than that a Ghostball user using the same mental approach.
No matter what methodology is used, it is always a good feeling when you are playing the best you can.
Poor Duckie...you seem to be a patchwork quilt of contradictions.
"me bashing other systems"...?? Aren't you the man who claims that there are no such thing as "systems" ? Just see the balls and shoot them in is your way to do it isn't it??
Well I think if that's your way, you should enjoy it to the fullest and I'm sure you're pleased with it. Speaking for myself, I tried it for decades and I finally decided that it was lame, for ME.. So, I changed.
And, by the way, aren't you the guy who has claimed "there is no such thing as a 1/2 ball hit"...??? (millions of ghostball users would argue with you about that one)
I, on the other hand, still say..........Duckie, forget CTE, forget it even exists, forget anything about it in this aiming forum, it's obviously not for you or something you like, and go your way doing exactly whatever you please for shooting pool balls into pockets on a pool table. If you're happy with your game, WONDERFUL!!!!
Now, I trust you're content that I am not bashing your way of aiming pool balls.
Have a nice day.
P.Lowenstein

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE aside, the very best and most accurate way to identify a line in 3D space with convergence / vanishing point illusions, which is our reality, is to understand where its not and deduce its location based on where it's not.
Those who see a line from way back in a standing position and then come forward straight down the perceived line up to ball address are almost never on it. It seems totally logical and to almost everyone, it seems 100% correct since many developed decent games that way, but in reality they're adjusting on the way down to ball addreas slightly to compensate. It's also why many players play their entire lives and fail to thrive in this game. If it looks "correct" in pool, it's probably not. <===Spider, you are right. There are some shots that come up over and over that I would SWEAR should be hit a certain way and they will be missed if executed that way due to the optical illusion that exists.
The best way to sight is to look across the line slightly to overcome the illusion. With lines having zero dimension you'll always tend to end up at the wrong spot at ball address with the offset varying based on shot distance and cut direction.
There's a training tool called Sight Right, some of you have probably seen it - it looks like a block with a line at the top and a half-high level where the line continues in the front. I think this thing used to be sold as a snooker training aid and now I believe Hunter Lombardo represents the U.S. territory for product sales. As Hunter said if you're not coming into address from an offset, you'll never be on the intended line. I thought this was profound since like most others, I've always executed the logical approach... Straight.
If you pair that Sight Right to get to the line and JoeT's 3rd Eye to learn how to see center ball, one can progress quickly regardless of aiming technique he/she chooses.
Hal used to say the best way to see a line in 3D space was to look across it slightly and he is 1000% correct unless you're a cyclops with an eye at the center of your forehead.
Great post Spider.
And it helps the formerly ignorant and un-informed, like myself, understand a great deal of the WHY it works.
It requires an open mind, though. Old habits are very very hard to break. Especially in the game of pool where many players still live in the past of "when California Fats Felson shot down Minnesota Eddie in a movie". :wink:

Last edited: