If I had cues made to my specs, then would it be fair to say that I made them?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Good link brother, some nice looking cues. Would have been fun to shoot with a few and feel them out.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
actually, I’m talking about physical, mechanical product. In your example, you were talking about an author of a book. So I’m asking what is the analogy in this particular case for the author ?

I don't remember how identity notation works (not going to look it up), but:

physical:fabrications:0rigin -> virtual:works:author

Is this what you're looking for? But what I was describing was if somewhere in that chain was an unknown, because if it's all known, then the respective pieces are to be attributed to the make (or "made" in this case).

Like I mentioned before though, I'd surely research what the word "made" means in this context before using it. Me personally I'd never use it in this context as it's clearly deceptive according to the commonly agreed upon usage, and looking at the quote I posted before, it is in clear contrast to even how the FTC themselves perceive its usage (which has strong foreshadowing).

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys realize you are arguing with Justin (animatedvmaker), right?

Thread from a couple days ago under this user name.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=510455

Older threads under his original name.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5908636&postcount=52

It took me a little while, but the mention of Carbondale did it.

I originally thought he was Poolfan101 also, kind of a 2 names-hedge his bets kind of thing. Still not positive one way or the other there. But this one has been identified.

Youre welcome!
:wink2:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or the Acura SUV that was an Isuzu Trooper. And the Honda Passport that was an Isuzu Rodeo? Chevy LUV was also an Isuzu PUP way back in the 70s.

Volkswagen has a van called the Routan that's a Dodge Caravan.

The list goes on and on.

But god help the cue entrepreneur who deceives folks like this.

I am wearing a Swiss Army watch.

It says "Swiss Made" on the face.

The works are made, or put together, in China as a licensed Chinese copy of a Japanese Seiko works.

The leather band is made in China.

Is my watch a Swiss made Swiss Army watch?

It was bought from the legit Swiss Army Company.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Or the Acura SUV that was an Isuzu Trooper. And the Honda Passport that was an Isuzu Rodeo? Chevy LUV was also an Isuzu PUP way back in the 70s.

Volkswagen has a van called the Routan that's a Dodge Caravan.

The list goes on and on.

But god help the cue entrepreneur who deceives folks like this.
Those shared platforms were not that widely known but they were not secret or hidden and none of those makers ever claimed that people who were actually not involved at all had built the vehicles.

Sent from the future.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys realize you are arguing with Justin (animatedvmaker), right?

Thread from a couple days ago under this user name.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=510455

Older threads under his original name.

It took me a little while, but the mention of Carbondale did it.

I originally thought he was Poolfan101 also, kind of a 2 names-hedge his bets kind of thing. Still not positive one way or the other there. But this one has been identified.

Youre welcome!
:wink2:

Good catch.

I was thinking that, too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The works are made, or put together, in China as a licensed Chinese copy of a Japanese Seiko works.

Don't the Victorinox watches use Swiss ETA movements? My TAG has ETA movement and it wasn't made in China.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Off topic: I read this in Reader's Digest in the 80's, prices are 80's prices (I think these were pocket watches).

There used to be a man who lived in Switzerland who made 3 to 5 watches a year. He charged $250,000 per watch at a quantity of 3. Notice the "3 to 5". He always was willing to make 3 at $250,000, and if someone wanted another, then 1 more at $500,000 and then the 5th was $1,000,000. The man made 5 watches a year for the last 25 years (as the article read in the 80's).

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you guys can see there are several examples from industry to cue making,home building

Whether you like it or not I talked with many big names in pool and everyone thought i was doing right no one suggested anything was underhanded. Everyone i talked to took it for granted that this was such a common practice .

I am sure this will cause hundreds of the same old stating of previous other opinions

For example no one raises an eye brow when I have talked about making the Deano cues,

fact was i never touched the lathe or raw wood,but no one has ever said i didn't make them

Everyone knew Jack made the Libra cues,but he didn't do the labor

My neighboor is an old man who builds houses,he never touched a hammer,yet only a fool would argue he was deceitful.

Way back around 2 017 when jack and i got started talking we said Jack would be using outside labor.

Even this is not necessary

I can see why others might disagree,but they are going too far to say that it was deception

Think about it, I could easily have sold these as mystery cues, why would I go to the trouble to deceive.

My only point is, even if you don't like me or anything about this, does that necessarily mean deception

again the customers are still happy and bought at least half the cues knowing i was using schmelke

I know its no fun to think or give the other guy the benefit of the doubt.

12 years and no complaints, should at lest make you think

Guys like freddie agreeing with me inspite of the fact that their good friends are on the other side

Don't you think it just might be possible, that i might not be a crook

the buyer do or at least did,who can sand firm under this onslaught

i will now let the 10 or so angry men rave on

I think they are 100% afraid to just leave this statement for cooler heads to consider

just consider, who will be first to remove this time fo rconsideration

The person on the wrong side of an argument can never let his opponent have time to state his opinion and allow people to think

he needs to cover up reason with chatter

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you guys can see there are several examples from industry to cue making,home building

Whether you like it or not I talked with many big names in pool and everyone thought i was doing right no one suggested anything was underhanded. Everyone i talked to took it for granted that this was such a common practice .

I am sure this will cause hundreds of the same old stating of previous other opinions

For example no one raises an eye brow when I have talked about making the Deano cues,

fact was i never touched the lathe or raw wood,but no one has ever said i didn't make them

My neighboor is an old man who builds houses,he never touched a hammer,yet only a fool would argue he was deceitful.

Way back in217 when jack and i got started talking we said Jack would be using outside labor.

I can see why others might disagree,but they are going too far to say that it was deception

Think about it, I could easily have sold these as mystery cues, why would I go to the trouble to deceive.

My only point is, even if you don't like me or anything about this, does that necessarily mean deception

again the customers are still happy and bought at least half the cues knowing i was using schmelke

Guys like freddie agreeing with me inspite of the fact that their good friends are on the other side

I think they are 100% afraid to just leave this statement for cooler heads to consider

just consider

LOL

Quoted for the future revisions that will soon follow

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Way back in217 when jack and i got started talking we said Jack would be using outside labor.

just consider

And BTW, you lied about who made the cues. Then you charged approximately 150% OVER retail for your troubles as a nice old guy.

Consider that.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had a cue maker build me a line of cues, that I designed, and asked the cue maker to put my own unique custom logo on them, then would it be fair to market the cues as custom cues made by myself?

I keep hearing of people doing this, and it just does not seem right.

If you did not build the cue, then do not try to deceive people by saying that you were the cue maker.

For example, I have read that Adam / Helmstetter built a line of cues for this one guy, to his specs, and his designs, and he turned around, and marketed the cues as "custom cues" made by him.

There just seems to be so much deception in this sport, with dishonest marketing, and doing anything possible to get sales.

People need to start being honest about every aspect of the product that they are selling, and if they can't do that, or are unwilling to do that, then they should not be trying to sell that product.

The whole world is crooked, everything we buy is built to fall apart on a given day, Usually 1 day after the warranty expires, why should pool be the beacon of light in the darkness.
I wish it were, but pool has had a bad reputation ever since Dump Rhines first threw a match, and probably because every time a fresh face comes in the door , the bottom feeders line up to take off chunks of soft meat.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Way back around 2 017 when jack and i got started talking we said Jack would be using outside labor.

just consider, who will be first to remove this time fo rconsideration

The person on the wrong side of an argument can never let his opponent have time to state his opinion and allow people to think

he needs to cover up reason with chatter

No new tricks for Dean.

This would have solved everything:

To My friends at AZ Billiards,

I wish to apologize if I have misled you in the marketing of Jackpot cues. I was trying to build a brand with the help of my friend, Jack Potter. Jack gave suggestions and input, but the cues were built by Schmelke, not Jack Potter as I had represented.

I am disappointed in myself and embarrassed that I got carried away in the sales process and misrepresented his involvement. I wanted the project to be successful. I let that ambition cloud my judgement. I take great pride in my cue projects and tend to judge my worth by their success and my customer satisfaction. For that I am asking you for another chance.

If anybody would like to return their cue for a full refund, I will pay return shipping. I promise to be more forthcoming in the future.

Sincerely,

Dean Campbell

And we would have all been eating out of your hands...

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A while back, I wanted a shaft made for one of my cues and then I decided to go ahead and have a whole cue made that would match the dimensions of another cue I had and I could use the shaft on more than one cue.

I bought the MOST EXPENSIVE 4-prong blank that Schmelke sold...purple heart into an ebony front.

I also had David pick the BEST shaft he could find (they called them something like "select" and you paid extra for them).

I told them what tip.
I told them what ferrule and length..
I told them what butt cap and how long.
I told them what pin..
I told them what collars.
I told them the taper.
I told them the shaft diameter.
I told them the diameter of the joint.
I told them the balance point.
I told them the diameter at the beginning of the wrap.
I told them the diameter at the end of the wrap.
I told them the diameter at the butt cap.
I told them the weight.
I told them the type of wrap.

Other than adding some sort of "bling", how much more could I have customized it?

None of the specs were what Schmelke sold as "stock" production cues.

Was that a Schmelke mass-production cue or a custom cue?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=447538&highlight=ebony+purple+heart

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A while back, I wanted a shaft made for one of my cues and then I decided to go ahead and have a whole cue made that would match the dimensions of another cue I had and I could use the shaft on more than one cue.

I bought the MOST EXPENSIVE 4-prong blank that Schmelke sold...purple heart into an ebony front.

I also had David pick the BEST shaft he could find (they called them something like "select" and you paid extra for them).

I told them what tip.
I told them what pin..
I told them the taper.
I told them the weight.

Other than adding some sort of "bling", how much more could I have customized it?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=447538&highlight=ebony+purple+heart

You can clear that one up with a dictionary. Conceived by Hawaiian Eye, built by Schmelke.

This reminds me of kit stuff. When was the last time you heard somebody claim they _assembled_ their prized creations?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Private labeling in manufacturing is done all the time. Pool is probably no different, and I am sure there is a table manufacturer or two, that do this as well.

Or if the cuemaker has a helper and he, the helper, does 90% of the work.. did you still get a cue by that cuemaker?

Pool has bigger issues than splitting hairs over private labeling.

JV

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I told them what tip.
I told them what pin..
I told them the taper.
I told them the weight.

And not once in that thread did you say or imply you were building the cue yourself, the exact opposite of how Dean played it, in fact you were forthcoming that Schmekle built it, again the opposite of Dean.
I see you are taking a page out of Sofla's how to be a bot book...

And what did you pay for that cue with all that customization, I'v seen a few people ask in these threads but no response from you, so how much was it?????

And when you sold that Schmekle, did you advertise as built by you, of course not!

Also, if you had advertised yourself as the maker with threads like this below where you are asking about how "your" specs will work, https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=447538 you would have been laughed off the forum saying you had built it.

Notice how in the ask the cuemaker section you don't say that you were building it, cause well that would have been funny, and if you are a cue maker you would likely know some of the stuff you were asking about.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me about, I own a Robert Weir cue. :lmao:

If you're not familiar with the story you can google it back to this site for background. Now wife, then girlfriend, bought it for me in the early 80's and we both heard the story about the up and coming Texas cue maker Bob Weir. :slap:

But as it turns out it is a great playing cue, hits great for me. Stayed straight together and apart for 40 years now. I sent it to Proficient for a refinish, ferrule, and tip along with a fix to the weigh bolt I screwed up a couple months ago.

Couldn't have cost more the $125.00 back then. Wouldn't trade it for the world
now. I wonder what it would be worth now if Bob Weir was a famous cue maker?? :rotflmao1:

Can't believe anyone would want to be remembered in the same category as Bob Weir, but that's what I'll remember folks that do this type of stuff, people out to make a buck off the gullible. As the old saying goes a fool and his money are soon parted.

Talk about shitting on your own legacy.

attachment.php