Pool & Billiard Magazine - Gone?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just opened and read the letter from P&B Magazine. The magazine is no more? From now on out its only an online magazine?

Whats up with this???

r/DCP

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just opened and read the letter from P&B Magazine. The magazine is no more? From now on out its only an online magazine?

Whats up with this???

r/DCP

I know I am a youngster in my early 30's. But I would not read a physical magazine if someone else paid for it. Online or nothing. That said I probably would not read a magazine to begin with. I have never really been able to get into them. I am glad it is going digital.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the pictures on the front of these magazines. I got several framed for my garage Pool room

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I am a youngster in my early 30's. But I would not read a physical magazine if someone else paid for it. Online or nothing. That said I probably would not read a magazine to begin with. I have never really been able to get into them. I am glad it is going digital.

I still like magazines. Be it about pool or something else because I can pick it up and read it. Go to the bookstore and read it. Online magazine means paywalls. You cannot read.

Plus it’s easier in the eyes. I’m a pool player and I don’t want bad vision. Vision goes bad especially when we’re staring at a screen omitting rays. Monitors and TVs can destroy our lens and cornea during long exposures.

I’m not old, yet, but I’ve seen many good players in the past lose their games due to bad eyesight.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
There's an entire generation of great old guys that due to various circumstances, cannot or do not use the internet (and certainly not phones) for such things. I feel for them, often time such things are their albeit small but greatest pleasure.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

With the wealth of experts who post online, there is little reason for print publications of any kind.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
and we can play pool on line as well. no sense having that outdated place called a pool room. or even a bar when you can drink at home while playing pool there.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and we can play pool on line as well. no sense having that outdated place called a pool room. or even a bar when you can drink at home while playing pool there.

Plus you can use an aim bot and even duck duckley is a champion.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Whats up with this???

r/DCP

The notice from Pool&Billiard says "Print Copies Suspended Due to COVID-19." Also "Print subscribers will have their subscriptions extended for all monthly print issues that are missed."

So it is not presented as a permanent elimination of print issues. But the magazine has shrunk -- just 32 pages in most of the issues over the past year. We'll have to wait and see whether they return to print issues at some point.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The notice from Pool&Billiard says "Print Copies Suspended Due to COVID-19." Also "Print subscribers will have their subscriptions extended for all monthly print issues that are missed."

So it is not presented as a permanent elimination of print issues. But the magazine has shrunk -- just 32 pages in most of the issues over the past year. We'll have to wait and see whether they return to print issues at some point.

I think there are two letters from P&B. The one I got late last week says no more paper copy, online only.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Whats up with this???

r/DCP
Print mags require a large readership to cover cost. Printing and shipping prices have gotten high. For a small publication on-line is about the only way to survive. Not much happens in pool on a good day and with the 'rona doing its damage there's really no choice. I prefer books/mags myself but i get the economics.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Print mags require a large readership to cover cost. Printing and shipping prices have gotten high. For a small publication on-line is about the only way to survive. Not much happens in pool on a good day and with the 'rona doing its damage there's really no choice. I prefer books/mags myself but i get the economics.

It's not the subscription fees that magazines need, it is the advertising fees. What killed all the poker magazines was Black Friday and the subsequent loss of advertisers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the subscription fees that magazines need, it is the advertising fees. What killed all the poker magazines was Black Friday and the subsequent loss of advertisers.
Chicken or the egg deal. Without a large readership base who would want to advertise? Much cheaper to go on-line. I've got a friend who's written three books and all were e-published. His cost was next to nothing compared to a print book.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
On a different magazine issue, the current issue of Billiards Digest does not feature a George Fells column on the last page. I don't ever remember that being the case. After George passed they still reprinted columns from yesteryear. :confused: