Benefits of quality balls

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
After some thought, I ordered the Aramith Premier Ball Set. The cheap bastard in me wanted the Standard set but they just didn't look right, I like the numbers in the stripes.

Good Job....they will out live you. Make sure there's nothing on the base moldings that can damage/nick the balls when they come off the play surface and roll on the floor. Metal chair legs, should be round, no 90 degree edges. Woods the best for chair legs.

pastq4u

Pocket Billiard BAlls

I have 4 sets of Brunswick Centenial balls. I have used only 1 set for 25 yrs. If I go to my pool room I bring my own, They have shown almost no wear , no fading and still have a great feel and roll. The other three sets have never been out of the box and have had them for over 25 yrs. I also have a Raschig 9 ball set, no numbers, solid colors. The 9 is two tone black and yellow. This is a fantastic set to play with, consistent feel and provide the best action of any ball I have ever played. HArd to find since they were only made from 1979 to 1990 circa. There are many quality manufacturers of pool balls out there but you have to get what feels good to you.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball set that came with my table is not very good, and I think an average person would notice. The 5 ball appears to be a tiny bit larger, the 7 a tiny bit smaller. The 2 ball will not rack tight, it is obviously smaller. No need for a micrometer. I can line up some balls with the 2 in the middle. Lay a level on them and there is daylight between the level and the 2.

Push

Registered
Many good points here. I bought a very inexpensive set of Brunswick Centennials at a pool room closing. However they needed cleaning from being in a busy commercial room and the surfaces were not pristine. I figured I could sell them at a decent profit if they didn't play well as they are a collectors interest. Being a fan of old school stuff I kept them. I have a Gold Crown 1 from a bowling alley that I repaired and the Centennials just seem to go with it. I should try some Simonis or new cloth type as my table has the old wool felt.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Dimensional specifications

Billiard ball diameter range : from 1” up to 2-3/4”
Tolerance standard : better than Precision Plastic Ball GRADE III specification limits
Most common diameter (") :
Nominal : 2-1/4
Diameter tolerance : max +/- 0,003
Sphericity / roundness : max 0,002 (high end grade : max 0,0012)
https://www.aramith.com/general-specifications

I would expect that from a quality set of balls but not from a $29.95 set.

Mr. Dogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do people pay the huge premium for Brunswick Centennials when they’re essentially Super Aramith Pro balls with different graphics?
If I could afford a table and balls and all that stuff, I'd prefer the Centennials for their looks. I like the colors and the number design. I like the number being off the stripe, because you can more easily see which ball it is, even when you can't see the stripe without stretching your neck.

MooseKnuckle

Registered
New green box of Premier set arrived.

Wow.

Had no idea what I was missing. Beautiful, deep colors, consistent size, they play so much better :)

I'll be running out of excuses soon.

DSC00079.jpg

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
New green box of Premier set arrived.

Wow.

Had no idea what I was missing. Beautiful, deep colors, consistent size, they play so much better :)

I'll be running out of excuses soon.

DSC00079.jpg

Now get some quality ball polish, and a soft old t-shirt to keep em looking wonderful. They will shine like new for a long time.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new Aramith Premier set may look great to you, but don’t ever compare them to a new set of Aramith Tournament balls straight out of the box - you’ll be blown away at the difference!

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consistency first! Second, All balls look good out the box, but the cheap will dull up fast, get dirty, and won't shine back up like they were out the box.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned my lesson recently

Opted for the aramith crown set at 85 bucks. Mistake. New cloth looking bad already. Balks are OK ish at best.
I love those Dyna Spheres. And the good aramith sets.
Puke 300 ish..........