Can phenolic tip be filed down?

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My phenolic tip on my jump cue developed a chip while playing yesterday and It started me wondering if it got worse could I file it down and install my hard Ki-Tech tip. I realize it would be better to machine it down but, I don't have access to a machine. Any suggestions?

Thanks Don

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
My phenolic tip on my jump cue developed a chip while playing yesterday and It started me wondering if it got worse could I file it down and install my hard Ki-Tech tip. I realize it would be better to machine it down but, I don't have access to a machine. Any suggestions?

Thanks Don

Yes it can be filed down... but you will likely want a finer tooth machinist's file and you will want to go slowly.... I have a belt sander that I used several years ago to turn a phenolic ferrule/tip into just a phenolic ferrule but I made a Jig to keep it square and I went slow to keep from getting it hot.... let me know how the Hard Ki-Tech works out for your breaker.. I know lotsof people who bought the samplers did the same thing LOL

dave st.pierre

dave st.pierre
phenolic tip

I used the tool four sanding the ferrule square when changing my tips.the sanding disc you use to change tips works for me!

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip

While it can be done, I am sure that there are at least a couple of qualified repair men close. Where are you located?
Experience has taught me that if I had to ask if I could do something than it was best left to somebody that has the right tools to do it otherwise I wouldn't be happy with the results.